The Wrestling Thread

Mo Wonderboy

Watching Raw from 24th Feb 1997, from the Manhattan Centre. ECW are just starting thier 'talent exchange' programme with the WWF. Stevie Richards from the bWo is facing Little Guido and Lawler (when he was still the brilliant heel colour commentator) calls bWo a 'blatant rip-off', Heyman who has joined for commentary asks 'of who?'. McMahon chips in that their clothing line is very similar to that of the nWo.

Now I'm not suggesting he should completely ignore it and act as if Wrestling fans are stupid, but I always thought McMahon went to lengths to ensure there was never references to WCW or anythin in it by name during the 90s.

Just a wee point I thought was quite interesting.

For what it's worth, it's amazing watching the WWF evolve on a weekly basis and even though it hasn't begun, you can see the start of foundations which lead into the start of attitiude era, Rocky Maivia just won the IC title away from HHH the week before after thier first match against each other and he's getting 'Rocky sucks' big time, Chyna is just about to debut. It seems nowadays things don't even happen at the same pace that they did back then and there are no twists and turns to keep the viewers guessing.

I never had Sky at the time so I didn't see a lot of Raw back then and although there was a load of shite on it like Flash Funk, Bart Gunn, the Real Double J (Road Dogg, the Godwinns and Headbangers. The main event picture was excellent with HBK, Hart, Austin, Taker, Sid and Vader all attacking one another at regular intervals.

Watching Raw from 24th Feb 1997, from the Manhattan Centre. ECW are just starting thier 'talent exchange' programme with the WWF. Stevie Richards from the bWo is facing Little Guido and Lawler (when he was still the brilliant heel colour commentator) calls bWo a 'blatant rip-off', Heyman who has joined for commentary asks 'of who?'. McMahon chips in that their clothing line is very similar to that of the nWo.

Now I'm not suggesting he should completely ignore it and act as if Wrestling fans are stupid, but I always thought McMahon went to lengths to ensure there was never references to WCW or anythin in it by name during the 90s.

Just a wee point I thought was quite interesting.

For what it's worth, it's amazing watching the WWF evolve on a weekly basis and even though it hasn't begun, you can see the start of foundations which lead into the start of attitiude era, Rocky Maivia just won the IC title away from HHH the week before after thier first match against each other and he's getting 'Rocky sucks' big time, Chyna is just about to debut. It seems nowadays things don't even happen at the same pace that they did back then and there are no twists and turns to keep the viewers guessing.

I never had Sky at the time so I didn't see a lot of Raw back then and although there was a load of shite on it like Flash Funk, Bart Gunn, the Real Double J (Road Dogg, the Godwinns and Headbangers. The main event picture was excellent with HBK, Hart, Austin, Taker, Sid and Vader all attacking one another at regular intervals.

I aint seen much WWF stuff from '97. But I'm now thinking about downloading the Raw's from '97 as you've got me quite interested.

Interesting to read about McMahon mention 'the rival' as I always thought as well that one of the things that they dont do in WWE is mention any sort of 'rival'.

Although I do remember at Survivor Series '98, McMahon talking about Dubbaya Ceeeeee Dubbaya when introducing Gillberg as Mankind's mystery opponent.

Sid: "Im twice the man you are and have half the brain you have!"

Classic.

Regarding Swagger winning the title; dreadful. It sounds to me that McMahon has done another 'swerve' on fans with having Swagger win MITB then the title. It also seems like he's desperate to elevate young stars and is using the titles to do so. Unfortunately the titles have lost so much meaning now that it won't work. The constant changes mean that the titles have become pretty meaningless at times. If he wanted to elevate stars like Swagger and Sheamus, then why not put the IC or US title on them and see how they do? The next HW champ is hardly going to be seen as great as he'll only have beaten Swagger, a nobody who is in no way over at all. he WWE finally seem to have a good raft of young talent, and with more coming through with NXT have a lot to build on. They just need to show patience and not jump the gun with building them (and they have plenty of time as TNA are no threat just now). It will take time to make these guys established and to have a following and to be seen as contenders. They have a good 'old guard' that can help build them. A stumbling block may be that many of the newer stars don't seem to be able to break away from the WWE mould and make their own characters just now. Hopefully that'll change.

Sid: "Im twice the man you are and have half the brain you have!"

Classic.

Regarding Swagger winning the title; dreadful. It sounds to me that McMahon has done another 'swerve' on fans with having Swagger win MITB then the title. It also seems like he's desperate to elevate young stars and is using the titles to do so. Unfortunately the titles have lost so much meaning now that it won't work. The constant changes mean that the titles have become pretty meaningless at times. If he wanted to elevate stars like Swagger and Sheamus, then why not put the IC or US title on them and see how they do? The next HW champ is hardly going to be seen as great as he'll only have beaten Swagger, a nobody who is in no way over at all. he WWE finally seem to have a good raft of young talent, and with more coming through with NXT have a lot to build on. They just need to show patience and not jump the gun with building them (and they have plenty of time as TNA are no threat just now). It will take time to make these guys established and to have a following and to be seen as contenders. They have a good 'old guard' that can help build them. A stumbling block may be that many of the newer stars don't seem to be able to break away from the WWE mould and make their own characters just now. Hopefully that'll change.

Its awready been on.....its not a spoiler anymoretongue.gif . Anyway...I'm really struggling as to why they chose Swagger. Two weeks ago Swagger was getting his c**t kicked in off everybody going.

Anyway, I enjoyed Jericho during Swaggers address. "Give it back to me come on. Come on give it back to me. Thats mines"laugh.gif

Edited by Shuggie_Murray7

Its awready been on.....its not a spoiler anymoretongue.gif . Anyway...I'm really struggling as to why they chose Swagger. Two weeks ago Swagger was getting his c**t kicked in off everybody going.

Anyway, I enjoyed Jericho during Swaggers address. "Give it back to me come on. Come on give it back to me. Thats mines"laugh.gif

SWAGGER WON SWAGGER IS NEW CHAMPION!!!!!!111111

f**k I hate spoilers you get that tourettes feeling that you just want to tell people, now it's out in the open (even though 99% of us knew) I think swagger is gonna bomb as champ, lose it at extreme rules and go back to U.S. title level

Incase you didn't know, Chris Kanyon was found dead at aged 40, suicide.

http://www.f4wonline...ent/view/12867/

Not a great wrestler by any stretch, but had quite a bit of effort which could carry him to some decent outings when he had the right opponent, and also had good character about him.

Is it wrong that I already thought he was dead?ph34r.gif

ohmy.giff**k!!!!

sad.gif R.I.P. Kanyon!

yet another wrestler dead, I was watching his match with the late great Mike Awesome (who used to be my favourite wrestler) at Slamboree 2000 not so long ago, so sad to look back at videos from 10 years ago and look through the cards seeing all the now deceased guys.

I would list some but there must be over 40 wrestlers who've died withing the last 10 years

ohmy.giff**k!!!!

sad.gif R.I.P. Kanyon!

yet another wrestler dead, I was watching his match with the late great Mike Awesome (who used to be my favourite wrestler) at Slamboree 2000 not so long ago, so sad to look back at videos from 10 years ago and look through the cards seeing all the now deceased guys.

I would list some but there must be over 40 wrestlers who've died withing the last 10 years

Its that bad I get confused about who is already dead and whos not. It's a tradgic state of afairs when theres that many young guys dropping dead that you loose track.

Incase you didn't know, Chris Kanyon was found dead at aged 40, suicide.

http://www.f4wonline.com/content/view/12867/

Not a great wrestler by any stretch, but had quite a bit of effort which could carry him to some decent outings when he had the right opponent, and also had good character about him.

Kanyon had always been open about trying to take his life in the past.

He mentioned that no-one would touch him with a barge pole after he came out of the closet and this led to a deep depression, though I always thought it more likely that he was never going to be a draw.

Nevertheless, very sad, he was obviously a troubled individual that many (myself included) mistook for attention seeking.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=qIa1yqEudkM

1st and 2nd guys in the rumble Ax and Smash, awesome to see! and then when Andre the Giant comes out as number 3, Brilliant Rumble! has all the stars! hogan, macho man, HBK, Million dollar man...

laugh.gif it's 1989... as if it needs a spoiler but anyway, when Andre eliminates himself after seeing jake the snakes snake was brilliant, still can't belive big john stud won

Edited by Kris Boyd

Its that bad I get confused about who is already dead and whos not. It's a tradgic state of afairs when theres that many young guys dropping dead that you loose track.

I've just found out The Wall is dead too sad.gif google a list of dead wrestlers, the list of guys who have died in the last 20 years under the age of 45 is scary.... about a third from suicide, a third from heart attack and a third from drug overdose.... you would think the wwe would feel obliged to pay more attention to superstars health, I just thought about the amount of wrestlers from 2000 that have passed away now, which got me thinking which of the current wwe roster will still be living by 2020, grim thinking but you know another wrestler death is just around the corner as it ever seems to be.