The Wrestling Thread

Mo Wonderboy

For me the middle group is the best. Obviously that is biased as I see the attitude era as the best era in wrestling. I can however see plenty of potential in the new group to get to that level...JoMo(to steal DomDom's name :P ), MVP, CM Punk, Swagger, Bourne, Tyson Kidd(especially if they push him as the protege of Bret), Ted Jr, Cody Rhodes, Shelton Benjamin. Not all of them will make it, but in my opinion each of them has a shot.

If it came down to wrestling ability alone then the middle group is the best hands down. However, Hulk Hogan & The Ultimate Warrior and the like had an exceptional ability to entertain which as you probably know was what built The Ultimate Warriors huge fan base and 'Hulkamania'. This new breed seem to be one dimensional and terrible on the mic. And when there is a star who is good on the mic it has to be the most annoying human being in the world that is John Cena.

This and the fact that WWE seem to just be targeting younger audiences put me right off wrestling as a whole.

Edited by Ludo *1

The Smackdown main event scene is the best main event scene that WWE has had in god knows how long. You have about seven or eight guys who can main event their shows and also another four or five on the outside looking in that can maybe do a job in there.

RAW's main event scene is appalling, although it does have the biggest stars in WWE at the moment.

WWE is getting worse and worse.

I would disagree, SD and ECW have been great. Only RAW is poor, which as DomDom said goes against the logic as it has the highest percentage of the 'Superstars'. If only legacy could get themselves over to SD.

The Attitude era was by far the best. Not only cause that was when i was into wrestling but looking back had a good mix of storylines and ideas (inferno matches ect..).

Ive just bought the royale rumble dvd box set 97 to 01 to watch over the summer.

WWE is getting worse and worse.

It really isn't. WWE are on something of a boom period as far as their output goes, apart from RAW obviously. I don't think there's been a bad WWE PPV in the last two years and that streak isn't likely to end at One Night Stand which has some right corking matches on it.

I think people should start looking back at years like 1993 and 1995, and to a lesser extent, the mid 00s, because then, the standard really WAS dreadful. Although they still managed to get some good stuff out of the undercard.

The Attitude era was by far the best. Not only cause that was when i was into wrestling but looking back had a good mix of storylines and ideas (inferno matches ect..).

Indeed. It did get a bit "throw shit at a wall and see what sticks" towards the end as Vince Russo kind of snapped and became the man we all know and probably don't love, but a lot of what he did was amazing. When he got it right, man, he got it right. His crowning moment, and one of the best things I can remember in WWE, is when Mankind fought Steve Austin at Survivor Series 1998 and Shane turned on Austin. The visual with Mankind's old victory music and the McMahons and their cronies running away was a masterstroke.

It really isn't. WWE are on something of a boom period as far as their output goes, apart from RAW obviously. I don't think there's been a bad WWE PPV in the last two years and that streak isn't likely to end at One Night Stand which has some right corking matches on it.

I think people should start looking back at years like 1993 and 1995, and to a lesser extent, the mid 00s, because then, the standard really WAS dreadful. Although they still managed to get some good stuff out of the undercard.

Indeed. It did get a bit "throw shit at a wall and see what sticks" towards the end as Vince Russo kind of snapped and became the man we all know and probably don't love, but a lot of what he did was amazing. When he got it right, man, he got it right. His crowning moment, and one of the best things I can remember in WWE, is when Mankind fought Steve Austin at Survivor Series 1998 and Shane turned on Austin. The visual with Mankind's old victory music and the McMahons and their cronies running away was a masterstroke.

I'd be inclined to agree (though I didn't buy Judgment Day as you know). The next two events are on Sky Sports so I'll be giving them a watch and I'm sure they will deliver the goods.

I would disagree, SD and ECW have been great. Only RAW is poor, which as DomDom said goes against the logic as it has the highest percentage of the 'Superstars'. If only legacy could get themselves over to SD.

If only Legacy could take some steroids or something and get themselves fired. Those 3 are the main reason that I dont enjoy Raw.

Randy to Ric Flair on Monday Night. 'I am not Chris Jericho'. Too right mate. You are half the worker and about a quarter of the personality.

If only Legacy could take some steroids or something and get themselves fired. Those 3 are the main reason that I dont enjoy Raw.

Randy to Ric Flair on Monday Night. 'I am not Chris Jericho'. Too right mate. You are half the worker and about a quarter of the personality.

I really like the Randy 'Fucking' Orton mad man persona. They should push them properly as a group and not have them looking weak against everyone, use the stable to push priceless up the card while at the same time making Orton look like a bad mother fucker.

Cody Rhodes is dire. Ted Dibiase might be good, but we haven't had the chance to see it yet.

Randy Orton is an example of just how bad RAW is. The man should be gold. He's not an awful wrestler. He has terrific mic skills. He proved that at the start of the McMahon destruction. But then he became tedious and the writers completely blew his push. The #1 heel on RAW became a cowardly joke that nobody gave a shit about.

RAW

Is by far the worst brand at the moment. With only Legacy as the main reason I watch. I've been a fan of Ortons since his ays as IC champ. Cody Rhodes is fucking dire and he may well be the skinniest looking wrestler I've ever seen. I really like DiBiase and I think he has the potential to be a superstar someday. He reminds me of Orton back in his Evolution days.

ECW

Regularly puts on the best matches. You can't go wrong with Christian, Swagger, Finlay, Mark Henry :lol:

SD!

My favourite of the 3 by far. Edge, Jeff, Jericho, Punk, 'Taker, Rey etc. etc. etc. Has the potential to put on some outstanding matches. Really enjoyed Rey vs Jericho at the PPV. Looking forward to sse what they do with Punk/Edge and I wish they would explain why Umaga helped Edge.

Seconded.

Also how anyone is meant to take Rhodes seriously when he has legs the size of a babies wrist I don't know. I still think a fourth member might be the way to go. Oh and the obvious, stop treating them like wimps thing too.

On a related Raw note: I still love the Miz.

Is by far the worst brand at the moment. With only Legacy as the main reason I watch. I've been a fan of Ortons since his ays as IC champ. Cody Rhodes is fucking dire and he may well be the skinniest looking wrestler I've ever seen. I really like DiBiase and I think he has the potential to be a superstar someday. He reminds me of Orton back in his Evolution days.

Cody Rhodes makes most of the Scottish wrestling scene look like monsters. That's pretty shocking when you consider that he wrestles for WWE.

The problem with Dibiase is that he looks exactly like Randy Orton. When his titantron comes up, I have to look closely to realise that they're not the same person. Although I think that's more of a WWE problem than a Dibiase problem. They can't seem to come up with refreshing stuff for people to do at the moment on RAW. It's all pretty vanilla apart from The Miz.

ECW

Regularly puts on the best matches. You can't go wrong with Christian, Swagger, Finlay, Mark Henry

You can laugh at Mark Henry all you want, but he is certainly one of the main reasons that ECW has been so watchable. He has gained so much experience while on the brand. It's amazing that he's improved more in the last year or so than he did in the 12 years preceeding it.

You also have the likes of Evan Bourne, Tyson Kidd and DH Smith coming through the ranks and they are bound to improve over time, which is scary considering how good they are now.

ECW is fantastic.

SD!

My favourite of the 3 by far. Edge, Jeff, Jericho, Punk, 'Taker, Rey etc. etc. etc. Has the potential to put on some outstanding matches. Really enjoyed Rey vs Jericho at the PPV. Looking forward to sse what they do with Punk/Edge and I wish they would explain why Umaga helped Edge.

I think I should point out all of the potential main eventers that Smackdown have created recently thanks to how well booked it is at the moment.

Chris Jericho, CM Punk, Edge, The Great Khali, Jeff Hardy, John Morrison, Kane, Rey Mysterio, Shelton Benjamin, The Undertaker, Umaga

A couple of them are more than likely going to be on the outskirts at the most, those being JoMo and Shelton, but the rest can easily step into the main events and look credible. All of those names are also capable of some good shit in the ring, with the exception of The Great Khali, who is notoriously dire.

On a related Raw note: I still love the Miz.

He's the highlight of a dire show. His segment with Maryse two weeks ago was gold.

Cody Rhodes makes most of the Scottish wrestling scene look like monsters. That's pretty shocking when you consider that he wrestles for WWE.

He looks even more rediculous when you consider who his stable mates are :lol: .How can you take him seriously when his oartners are 6ft plus 250 lbs +, then thers Cody who looks like a wee lassie. :lol:

The problem with Dibiase is that he looks exactly like Randy Orton. When his titantron comes up, I have to look closely to realise that they're not the same person. Although I think that's more of a WWE problem than a Dibiase problem. They can't seem to come up with refreshing stuff for people to do at the moment on RAW. It's all pretty vanilla apart from The Miz.

I on't really get what you mean about DiBiase looking like Orton....I've never had a problem telling them apart :lol: . They should add The Million Dollar Man as their manager or something, every serious stable needs a manager figure.

You can laugh at Mark Henry all you want, but he is certainly one of the main reasons that ECW has been so watchable. He has gained so much experience while on the brand. It's amazing that he's improved more in the last year or so than he did in the 12 years preceeding it.

You also have the likes of Evan Bourne, Tyson Kidd and DH Smith coming through the ranks and they are bound to improve over time, which is scary considering how good they are now.

ECW is fantastic.

The reason I was laughing at Mark Henry is that you would never believe it if someone told you he would be wrestling as well as he is 18 months ago. WWE have done a pretty good job making him a monster heel since he went to ECW, especially by adding Tony Atlas.

As for Bourne, there is not doubt he has the ability and talent, but I'm not so sure about him becoming a main event talent, only time will tell. As for the Hart Foundation, well I guess it all comes down to what creative have for them. They could be extremely seuccessful or flop, who knows, I'm certainly loking forward to seeing what they do with both Hart Founation and Bourne.

I think I should point out all of the potential main eventers that Smackdown have created recently thanks to how well booked it is at the moment.

Chris Jericho, CM Punk, Edge, The Great Khali, Jeff Hardy, John Morrison, Kane, Rey Mysterio, Shelton Benjamin, The Undertaker, Umaga

A couple of them are more than likely going to be on the outskirts at the most, those being JoMo and Shelton, but the rest can easily step into the main events and look credible. All of those names are also capable of some good shit in the ring, with the exception of The Great Khali, who is notoriously dire.

I think Jericho has been amazing since his return and his title run was well deserved, I just wish he had a longer run. They are most efinetly building up to another CM Punk title run. Edge has been solid for years now. Great Khali......shite should be no where near the main event. I was happy with his comedy gimmick he adopted. I used to hate Jeff but since about the Royal Rumble last year I've grown to like him. Morrison is a future superstar for sure. Shelton Benjamin isn't main event material.

He's the highlight of a dire show. His segment with Maryse two weeks ago was gold.

I'm the only person I know who still thinks The Miz is rank rotten.

Each and every on of those wrestlers I have highlighted are absolutely dire. The Great Khali has no personality & no wrestling ability he is the poor mans Big Show or Andre.

John Morrison is decent in the ring & decent with the mic but that is all he ever will be is decent.

WWE have single-handedly ruined Kane whether it was allowing him to talk, unmasking, Lita, Katie Vicks. He has became just a total jobber that deserves no respect especially when he got beat from Heidenrich.

Should I even start on Umaga?

Edge, Shelton Benjamin, Jeff Hardy & Rey Mysterio are mid table wrestlers at BEST. Sure Jeff Hardy is an amazing wrestler but he just doesn't fit the criteria of what you would expect of a top guy. Edge is a good wrestler but he becomes so tedious after a while. His mic skills are so one dimensional it is unbelievable, although I do rate Edge and acknowledge that may be WWE's fault rather than him.

Rey Mysterio is a class wrestler and a great entertainer but he should never be able to get near a World Title especially when he is coming up against people like Big Show, Khali & Kane and WINNING! I know that the WWE is just there to entertain but the show must have limits. When Hogan beat Andre it was a classic moment in wrestling history. Now when the biggest guy gets beat by the smallest guy in the company there is no shock - no entertainment.

Chris Jericho & CM Punk (From what I've heard about him) are the future of WWE especially now that the two big guys in the business are beginning to contemplate retirement (Shawn Michaels & Taker).

Maybe it is just me that is stuck in my ways of watching Wrestling of yonder and the fact that it is aimed at a younger generation now but WWE for me anyways just offers nothing. Not even the excitement I used to feel when watching someone like The Rock or Jake the Snake is the same and that is why I stopped watching.

I am well aware most will disagree but that is my tuppence.

He looks even more rediculous when you consider who his stable mates are :lol: .How can you take him seriously when his oartners are 6ft plus 250 lbs +, then thers Cody who looks like a wee lassie. :lol:

He's one of the few wrestlers that people can look at and think "yeah, I can take him".

Randy Orton looks like an incredibly intimidating guy, even if he isn't the biggest guy in the WWE at the moment. You can say the same for Ted Dibiase, as he has the Orton scowl down pat and he's damn good at it. Two guys you don't really want to get on the wrong side of. The others were pretty tough as well before they got kicked out. Now that I'm talking even more about it, why is Cody Rhodes even in a job in wrestling ?

I'd feel cheated watching him at the local town hall.

I on't really get what you mean about DiBiase looking like Orton....I've never had a problem telling them apart :lol: . They should add The Million Dollar Man as their manager or something, every serious stable needs a manager figure.

I think it's the mannerisms and stuff that get me with them. They basically are clones of each other when it comes to their style, their build is pretty similar as are the trunks and they both have that "f**k off" scowl which they rock at. The only difference now is that Orton takes about three years to reach the ring during his entrance.

The reason I was laughing at Mark Henry is that you would never believe it if someone told you he would be wrestling as well as he is 18 months ago. WWE have done a pretty good job making him a monster heel since he went to ECW, especially by adding Tony Atlas.

As for Bourne, there is not doubt he has the ability and talent, but I'm not so sure about him becoming a main event talent, only time will tell. As for the Hart Foundation, well I guess it all comes down to what creative have for them. They could be extremely seuccessful or flop, who knows, I'm certainly loking forward to seeing what they do with both Hart Founation and Bourne.

I'm not sure on Bourne as a main event talent either, at least not outside of ECW. In ECW he's a big fish though, and he can easily go out there and hold the ECW Title. It's not as if he's on a much smaller scale than guys like Mark Henry, Finlay, Jack Swagger and Tommy Dreamer.

It's the Hart Dynasty btw. ;) I'm still not completely sold on Tyson Kidd. I can remember him being not very good in ROH, but he seems to have improved a fair bit. I know that DH Smith is a great talent having seen him many times before, a couple of times in the flesh. With someone like that beside you, it tends to bring out the best in people.

I think I should have brought up Tony Atlas when talking about Mark Henry's improvement. Not sure if it can be a coincidence that the improvement basically started when he went to the ringside area.

I think Jericho has been amazing since his return and his title run was well deserved, I just wish he had a longer run. They are most efinetly building up to another CM Punk title run. Edge has been solid for years now. Great Khali......shite should be no where near the main event. I was happy with his comedy gimmick he adopted. I used to hate Jeff but since about the Royal Rumble last year I've grown to like him. Morrison is a future superstar for sure. Shelton Benjamin isn't main event material.

Khali SHOULD be near the main event. The guy is a monster. Crap wrestler or not, he could have been packaged as a real superstar, but they have blown it big time. They gave him long matches against The Undertaker which completely exposed him. By the time they got him into a standard where he was competent ( at least he can be carried to a decent match by most decent guys now ), he wasn't believable as a monster anymore because they had already exposed his weaknesses.

I've given my thoughts on Jericho's schtick, but it works. The fans absolutely despise the man and he seems to have gotten used to the promos that WWE have written for him. He's got the style down absolutely perfectly. His matches since his return have also been fantastic. The fued with Shawn Michaels, with the exception of two of the matches, was super, and spawned an under-appreciated classic at Judgement Day.

The thing with Shelton is that he can at least be put into that spot for now, thanks to good outings with The Undertaker earlier in the year.

I'm the only person I know who still thinks The Miz is rank rotten.

Shame on you.

Each and every on of those wrestlers I have highlighted are absolutely dire. The Great Khali has no personality & no wrestling ability he is the poor mans Big Show or Andre.

Andre the Giant had no personality, and by the time he became one of the biggest heel in WWF, he had little to no wrestling ability either. He didn't need it. Neither does Khali. He has everything he needs in his size and WWE decided to try and book him in 20 minute matches. Stupid idea and it killed any chance he had. He should have been a superstar.

John Morrison is decent in the ring & decent with the mic but that is all he ever will be is decent.

So not dire then, like you initially claimed ?

Incidentally, those reasons you give are the reasons that I think that he's more likely to be a stop gap if he's ever the main eventer, but he's there as an option thanks to the way Smackdown has been booked.

WWE have single-handedly ruined Kane whether it was allowing him to talk, unmasking, Lita, Katie Vicks. He has became just a total jobber that deserves no respect especially when he got beat from Heidenrich.

Kane's had credible runs before after being treated in a dire way. He's vile enough to make it work and plays the part quite well. If WWE ever need a surefire main eventer, send Kane away for a couple of months and then bring him back to fued with someone and it'll probably work. He's one of the only sure things in WWE at the moment.

Should I even start on Umaga?

Another blown oppertunity here. Remember the Cena fued ? Umaga was red hot at the time and looked unstoppable. The match that blew off the fued was also an absolute corker. He went on to have great matches throughout 2007 and 2008. Unfortunately, he's lost most of them, but he's another one who's benefitted from the move to Smackdown. He's beginning to look good again.

Edge, Shelton Benjamin, Jeff Hardy & Rey Mysterio are mid table wrestlers at BEST. Sure Jeff Hardy is an amazing wrestler but he just doesn't fit the criteria of what you would expect of a top guy. Edge is a good wrestler but he becomes so tedious after a while. His mic skills are so one dimensional it is unbelievable, although I do rate Edge and acknowledge that may be WWE's fault rather than him.

If there's one thing that Edge has going for him, it's the fact that he can talk a good game. His fued with Cena would have been nowhere near as good as it was if he wasn't doing his schtick along with it. It helped that the matches were great of course.

Jeff Hardy and Rey Mysterio are main eventers. They are massively popular and that's all that matters.

Rey Mysterio is a class wrestler and a great entertainer but he should never be able to get near a World Title especially when he is coming up against people like Big Show, Khali & Kane and WINNING! I know that the WWE is just there to entertain but the show must have limits. When Hogan beat Andre it was a classic moment in wrestling history. Now when the biggest guy gets beat by the smallest guy in the company there is no shock - no entertainment.

I actually agree. He can still go in the main events and lose though. The name Rey Mysterio can headline PPVs. That's my point. However, when he last won the big one, I stopped watching WWE. It was the single most infuriating booking decision I've ever come across and I'd have no problems stopping watching again if he ever won the title again.

Chris Jericho & CM Punk (From what I've heard about him) are the future of WWE especially now that the two big guys in the business are beginning to contemplate retirement (Shawn Michaels & Taker).

Not sure how much of a future CM Punk has in WWE. They're still very apprehensive with his push as the Money in the Bank holder. I thought that they had him with the case again to try and right the wrongs they made the last time he had the case, but this turned out to be not the case. Chris Jericho is certainly the future though. A bonafide star if ever there was one.

Maybe it is just me that is stuck in my ways of watching Wrestling of yonder and the fact that it is aimed at a younger generation now but WWE for me anyways just offers nothing. Not even the excitement I used to feel when watching someone like The Rock or Jake the Snake is the same and that is why I stopped watching.

It's too vanilla these days with characters. The Miz is the only fresh thing on RAW at the moment and he has done a lot of that work himself with some fabulous mic work. His wrestling is still questionable at times, but he's improved on an unreal level. He used to be among the worst in WWE. Is there anyone to like on RAW though ? I like Cena, but that's only because I think he's an astonishing wrestler. His character is dire. Batista is bland. Triple H is bland. Why do I care about any of these people ?

I can see why people stop watching as there isn't as much on offer as there used to be. Then again, WWE and TNA aren't the only places putting out wrestling. NJPW, Pro Wrestling NOAH and Dragon Gate are tearing it up at the moment, and even in the US you have promotions like ROH to keep you going. I'm glad that I have access to loads of different promotions and also there's Scottish shows which usually entertain.

If it wasn't for the internet and it making me realise there's more out there, I'd probably not be much of a wrestling fan anymore.

I think it's the mannerisms and stuff that get me with them. They basically are clones of each other when it comes to their style, their build is pretty similar as are the trunks and they both have that "f**k off" scowl which they rock at. The only difference now is that Orton takes about three years to reach the ring during his entrance.

I'v been saying that for months now. It's nearly as bad as the Undertakers, but Undertakers fits the character. f**k knows what going on with Orton :lol: , nobody walks that slowly.

It's the Hart Dynasty btw. ;) I'm still not completely sold on Tyson Kidd. I can remember him being not very good in ROH, but he seems to have improved a fair bit. I know that DH Smith is a great talent having seen him many times before, a couple of times in the flesh. With someone like that beside you, it tends to bring out the best in people.

I think I should have brought up Tony Atlas when talking about Mark Henry's improvement. Not sure if it can be a coincidence that the improvement basically started when he went to the ringside area.

It'll always be the Hart Foundation to me damn it! :lol: I think I love them simply for Tyson Kids sling shot elbow.......a thing of beauty.

Khali SHOULD be near the main event. The guy is a monster. Crap wrestler or not, he could have been packaged as a real superstar, but they have blown it big time. They gave him long matches against The Undertaker which completely exposed him. By the time they got him into a standard where he was competent ( at least he can be carried to a decent match by most decent guys now ), he wasn't believable as a monster anymore because they had already exposed his weaknesses.

He looks like a giant teddy bear :lol: , espeially now after oing the Punjabi Playbpy gimmick....he'll never be taken seriously again.

I've given my thoughts on Jericho's schtick, but it works. The fans absolutely despise the man and he seems to have gotten used to the promos that WWE have written for him. He's got the style down absolutely perfectly. His matches since his return have also been fantastic. The fued with Shawn Michaels, with the exception of two of the matches, was super, and spawned an under-appreciated classic at Judgement Day.

Jericho is one of my favourite guys on the mic, from his WCW days, early WWF days right up to now. His match with Rey at Judgement Day was amazing.

The thing with Shelton is that he can at least be put into that spot for now, thanks to good outings with The Undertaker earlier in the year.

I really like him when he tags with Haas but apart from that I don't care. He's only useful at onetime of the year (Money In The Bank)

Shame on you.

Seriously......I don't get it. For months I was dying for them to split Morrison an The Miz up so Morrison could go own his own again. But Miz seems to be getting the push between the two and it makes no sense to me.

Morrison for WHC!!! :D

It'll always be the Hart Foundation to me damn it! :lol: I think I love them simply for Tyson Kids sling shot elbow.......a thing of beauty.

Aye it's superb. Bourne's Standing Moonsault and Shooting Star Press are both equal to it though. That weird thing Bourne does when he holds his feet during the moves. Superb. It's probably the best Flying Elbow since Randy Savage though.

He looks like a giant teddy bear :lol: , espeially now after oing the Punjabi Playbpy gimmick....he'll never be taken seriously again.

I dunno. He could turn on his translator and beat up a woman. That'd soon turn some heads. I think his gimmick right now lends itself to a pretty major heel turn. God knows he needs it.

Jericho is one of my favourite guys on the mic, from his WCW days, early WWF days right up to now. His match with Rey at Judgement Day was amazing.

The thing that gets me with Jericho on the microphone is just how adaptable he is. The annoying heel that's a bit of a coward and generally a pain in the arse ? WCW. Check. The loveable babyface that cracks jokes and gets the fans on his side ? Check. The slightly miffed disillusioned superstar who thinks he's better than he is and looks down on everyone ? Check.

The other great thing is that his actual character of Chris Jericho has never actually changed. He has played all of these changes and made every single one believable.

I really like him when he tags with Haas but apart from that I don't care. He's only useful at onetime of the year (Money In The Bank)

He's going to win the MitB one year. Not sure about that, but WWE will certainly want to reward him for single handedly making the match something special every year.

Seriously......I don't get it. For months I was dying for them to split Morrison an The Miz up so Morrison could go own his own again. But Miz seems to be getting the push between the two and it makes no sense to me.

Morrison for WHC!!! :D

I think the push The Miz is getting is lesser than you might think. He's really been playing the coward to Cena's superhero, but when they meet, you know it's going to end badly for The Miz.