Livingston - all the threads merged

48 minutes ago, Fife Livi said:

I wonder if we have managed to find something for Scott Bitsindou, given he is out of the photos?

Obviously Boyes is missing but expect that to be a permanent move anyway.

Last I heard was that Scott has rejected the option of moving on and wanted to try and fight for a place; dont know how accurate that is though; came to me third hand at least.

Interesting to see Teto now has a squad photograph.

Some hairstyle on Guthrie; takes me right back to the seventies.

1 hour ago, Durnford said:

Last I heard was that Scott has rejected the option of moving on and wanted to try and fight for a place; dont know how accurate that is though; came to me third hand at least.

Interesting to see Teto now has a squad photograph.

Some hairstyle on Guthrie; takes me right back to the seventies.

Reminded me of this cartoon i used to watch as a bairn.

the-hair-bear-bunch | Childhood memories 70s, 80s cartoons, Childhood ...

9 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Reminded me of this cartoon i used to watch as a bairn.

the-hair-bear-bunch | Childhood memories 70s, 80s cartoons, Childhood ...

Crikey O'Reily; I'd forgotten all about them - the hippy version of yogi bear

EDIT - I can just imagine some of the younger members googling away to find out what the hell we're on about - others will simply day we're senile....

Edited by Durnford

1 hour ago, Durnford said:

Crikey O'Reily; I'd forgotten all about them - the hippy version of yogi bear

EDIT - I can just imagine some of the younger members googling away to find out what the hell we're on about - others will simply day we're senile....

Saturday morning watching the banana splits, the Flashing Blade, Arabian Knights, The Three Musketeers, The White Horses, The Double Deckers, then out the rest of the day playing football with your mates.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

51 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Saturday morning watching the banana splits, the Flashing Blade, Arabian Knights, The Three Musketeers, The White Horses, The Double Deckers, then out the rest of the day playing football with your mates.

You've got to fight for what you want 

For all that you believe

Its right to fight for what we want

to live the way we need

And everyone and everything etc. etc.

Worrying thing is I typed that without googling from 50 year ago but I cant remember what i was doing 50 minutes ago.

Edited by Durnford

Over the past few weeks it become increasingly more apparent how much we miss Devlin and Montano.

Devlin's miss is obvious as he's really steadied the defence and seems able to bring the best out of other - that aside from being an excellent CD himself.

Montano is a bit more of an enigma as, on paper at least we have plenty of options to replace him; whether he's playing on the left or the right; winger or wingback. We probably have more technically skilful players in those positions but none seem to add that particular "bite"; edge if you like. Also it seems that, with a team with Cristian in the side; our back three seem less inclined to continually pass the ball between themselves; looking for the perfect attack that never comes.

Last I heard he was out for maybe six weeks; if, for a change, that is accurate, we will hopefully see him back in November? In the meantime hopefully some others will raise their game.

58 minutes ago, Durnford said:

Over the past few weeks it become increasingly more apparent how much we miss Devlin and Montano.

Devlin's miss is obvious as he's really steadied the defence and seems able to bring the best out of other - that aside from being an excellent CD himself.

Montano is a bit more of an enigma as, on paper at least we have plenty of options to replace him; whether he's playing on the left or the right; winger or wingback. We probably have more technically skilful players in those positions but none seem to add that particular "bite"; edge if you like. Also it seems that, with a team with Cristian in the side; our back three seem less inclined to continually pass the ball between themselves; looking for the perfect attack that never comes.

Last I heard he was out for maybe six weeks; if, for a change, that is accurate, we will hopefully see him back in November? In the meantime hopefully some others will raise their game.

Montano's ability in the air makes him a much better outball for Shamal to aim for than Penrice. Nouble has to drop deeper to give us the physicality in Montano's absence so hopefully when he's back we can start to see the best of Nouble again. On his potential return, if 6 weeks is accurate he should be back soon as he last played against Ayr

Edited by Cptn Hooch

Best game this season was Nouble playing deeper and hitting passes to Penrice getting up the wing, and occasionally joining in and getting up there too.

Montano gives us something different when we're struggling though, with his direct driving runs and physicality, takes some amount of hits, but that's because of his combative style, he likes getting involved in battles. He's a big miss, he got us a few points last season in tight games.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

Devlin is a big miss which is a concern given that when we signed him we knew the risks and thus couldn't rely on him to be playing every game but it's evident how much better we are with him in the team.

Montano and Penrice are pretty much interchangeable at Left Back / Left Wing Back. Montano is better in the air/more physical and a bit more direct in his runs whereas I'd say Penrice has a much better delivery and is probably better defensively. They both link up with Nouble in different ways and both are equally as effective. 

Our biggest issue for me at the moment is chance creation / attacking style. Last season I believe we were the lowest scorers in the league and I wouldn't really say much has changed to rectify this. We knock the ball around the back far too often with midfielders dropping deeper only for us to then launch it long but even if someone does get it knocked down there's not enough support to build from it. 

24 minutes ago, Livi La Vida Loca said:

Devlin is a big miss which is a concern given that when we signed him we knew the risks and thus couldn't rely on him to be playing every game but it's evident how much better we are with him in the team.

I'm led to believe Devlin's current injury is completely unrelated to any previous injury and one that could happen to any player. It's reassuring to hear it's not a flare up of his previous issues but he's still a massive miss

1 hour ago, Livi La Vida Loca said:

.Our biggest issue for me at the moment is chance creation / attacking style. Last season I believe we were the lowest scorers in the league and I wouldn't really say much has changed to rectify this. We knock the ball around the back far too often with midfielders dropping deeper only for us to then launch it long but even if someone does get it knocked down there's not enough support to build from it. 

I take it theres a reason you play a back 3?

Feel like a midfield of Holt, Stephen Kelly +1, with Nouble and Bradley either side of Anderson, would be quite fun.

18 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I take it theres a reason you play a back 3?

Feel like a midfield of Holt, Stephen Kelly +1, with Nouble and Bradley either side of Anderson, would be quite fun.

we were very powderpuff in defence last season and the move to a back 3 (how we lined up in our first few years since promotion) was to take us back to a more solid side.

27 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:

we were very powderpuff in defence last season and the move to a back 3 (how we lined up in our first few years since promotion) was to take us back to a more solid side.

Yeah that's the general opinion of last season's defence, but on closer look, taking away the games against Hibs and Aberdeen where we capitulated after having a player sent off, we weren't that bad up to January, we had 5 or 6 clean sheets and a lot of games only conceding 1 goal, and were at one point sitting 4th. It was the god awful spell from February onwards the arse fell out our whole team and we started conceding 2 and 3 goals with no reply in away games.

The back 3 with Devlin in it has settled us this season though, having cover for Obileye's penchant for a brain fart moment, and playing to his strength in heading balls clear from coming into our box.

*edit to add, it was also when we started playing a high line (ICT gubbing us) and getting continually caught with balls over the top getting in behind us.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

Playing 3 CBs seems to suit most of our CBs. De Lucas is incredibly aggressive in pressing the ball, however the 2nd goal at Ibrox showed the issues that leaves in a back 2. Obilieye and Parkes are also much better when asked to head and clear the ball as a sweeper

I'd like to see a return to 3-4-3, with a combination of Bradley, Nouble, Anderson and Stephen Kelly up front. That group should be good enough to create decent chances further up the pitch 

I remember we used Scott Bitsindou as a central defender for a couple of games last season (early season and "B" team I think). It wasn't terribly successful and I think he might even have got sent off in one case but, the way things are going, maybe he should start focussing on that role. It might be his best chance of getting another appearance.