Livingston - all the threads merged

5 hours ago, Nadroj said:

We’ve signed Anderson on a PCA apparently. What is the general view of him amongst Livi fans? Granted, it may be a bit clouded this season. 

You'll be better reading back a bit, someone already covered it. To get him this window probably 200k+. Great finisher, treated like shite by Martindale and deserves better.

29 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

You'll be better reading back a bit, someone already covered it. To get him this window probably 200k+. Great finisher, treated like shite by Martindale and deserves better.

As much as I generally agree he’s been underused, Anderson has been on the pitch plenty this season and not contributed. It seems like Martindale’s insistence on playing a target man and his diabetic fit at Easter Road seem to stop him playing many full games, which is frustrating 

I’d play him every game as we’re a better team with him in it, however his missed penalty against Kilmarnock and missed chances against Hibs and Aberdeen are massive contributions to our poor form. 

No doubt about it, on his day Anderson has been excellent for us. The first season he got 11 goals in 28 league games which is very impressive, and he rightly attracted a lot of attention.

However he has played 45 league games since then and managed only a further 9 goals. 

This season he’s started 11, come on as sub 9 times. 3 goals in 20 games (average about 58 mins), missed a penalty when he had the chance to win us the game vs Kilmarnock. It’s all ending rather sadly.

Worth pointing out that he’s started 52 games for us and only managed to play 90 minutes 15 times.

Edited by CharlieWhisky

1 hour ago, The Wrong Car said:

As much as I generally agree he’s been underused, Anderson has been on the pitch plenty this season and not contributed. It seems like Martindale’s insistence on playing a target man and his diabetic fit at Easter Road seem to stop him playing many full games, which is frustrating 

I’d play him every game as we’re a better team with him in it, however his missed penalty against Kilmarnock and missed chances against Hibs and Aberdeen are massive contributions to our poor form. 

I agree with that, he's had plenty of time. My comment was more about Martindale singling him out specifically when the entire team has been off-form

3 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

I agree with that, he's had plenty of time. My comment was more about Martindale singling him out specifically when the entire team has been off-form

This has been the main thing for me, brings him on on the 80th minute, he gets a single chance and doesn't score, and Martindale would single that out as the main reason we didn't win/draw ("Brucey needs tae dae better wi that"). Certainly doesn't help when the system more or less requires our striker to pick up the ball at the halfway line and do most of the work. 

He's a very good player for this level, give him enough good chances and he'll score a good amount IMO. 

FWIW it doesn't seem like theres any chance Teto gets a work permit. This doesn't even think he'll be close to even being looked at by the exceptions panel.

Screenshot2024-01-17213522.thumb.png.ba60608e743317fe4788dc6df30e9280.png

Anderson isn't a target man, You're (Martindale) setting him up to fail insisting playing him as one. Straight up the middle with a big CB behind him, forget it. However if we even hit it long up the channels he can be useful running onto the ball, or even putting pressure on a defender and pouncing on mistakes. 

He's at his best inside the box, hitting first time efforts at goal and getting onto balls hit across the box, we got the best out of him in a front 3. Even this season when he's been poor scoring goals, his work rate pressing defenders is worth playing him, because he forces mistake and makes it easier for our midfielders and defenders to win the ball back.

With a 3-4-2-1 the centre forward plays more of a support role. You see that with all the sides when they use it. Mandron, Rudden, May, Biereth, White don't have many goals between them. Most of their time is spent back to goal providing lay offs, chasing through balls or making horizontal runs to drag defenders away from goal, leaving that space for the attacking mids to arrive into.

With the two attacking mids there's normally one that's more about his creative passing then the other is a direct runner who can break the lines and finish. Examples against us this season were Bair, Vargas and Kiltie.

We've not found that player. The attacking mid out the two who can break the lines with their runs and get in on goal. Pittman has been tried but he's better playing farther back, his goal against Motherwell was actually him running from centre mid. Sangare showed promise in the role but he's all but away now. Anderson has been consistently tried as this, he's been started behind the centre forward, but it hasn't worked. Then Stephen Kelly is more a creative passer type who directs the move more than finishes it.

Which leaves Bradley and he's been tried in recent matches. He has pace, a good first touch, a great shot and he makes direct runs. If he could get a bit of confidence in the role, ideally by scoring soon, then he could blossom. 

For centre forward we're well covered now. Guthrie, Nouble and Yengi can all play as a back to goal, ball into feet (or ball into head in Guthrie's case) target man. Nouble and Yengi are also options for attacking midfield although neither are that line breaking type we're needing.

Martindale moaning about his lack of budget (again), claiming its lower than Raiths, the same hour its reported you've made offers for both Andy Halliday and Greg Stewart, is certainly something. 

10 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Martindale moaning about his lack of budget (again), claiming its lower than Raiths, the same hour its reported you've made offers for both Andy Halliday and Greg Stewart, is certainly something. 

Was Halliday not linked with Raith at some point as well?

Both these names seem to be based on agent talk, rather than anything concrete. Pretty sure most bottom 6 Premiership/top Championship clubs have been linked or enquired at this stage! The budget stuff is classic managerial deflection by Martindale and lazy journalism generally, given nobody follows it up with questions about why we've had players like Bahamboula, Parkes, and Bitsindou kicking about the clubs for years. 

10 minutes ago, The Wrong Car said:

we've had players like Bahamboula, Parkes, and Bitsindou kicking about the clubs

Bahamboula's exile has made no sense from a football perspective so it must be contract related. The only guess I can come up with is he could be on a low basic wage but with huge appearance/matchday squad bonuses. 

15 minutes ago, The Wrong Car said:

Was Halliday not linked with Raith at some point as well?

Both these names seem to be based on agent talk, rather than anything concrete. Pretty sure most bottom 6 Premiership/top Championship clubs have been linked or enquired at this stage! The budget stuff is classic managerial deflection by Martindale and lazy journalism generally, given nobody follows it up with questions about why we've had players like Bahamboula, Parkes, and Bitsindou kicking about the clubs for years. 

Depends if you rate anything that gets spewed out by the TransferScot twitter account as being plausible. No actual media outlets have linked us to Halliday.

30 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Making offers (within our budget) and getting them are two different things. We made offers to several players pre season and failed in our bid to sign them, losing out to Killie and even QP, a Championship club.

Yeah TWC, i've seen Halliday linked to Dundee, Raith, Livi, and the latest, Motherwell, prob all agent talk, having his name linked to as many clubs possible.

1 minute ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Depends if you rate anything that gets spewed out by the TransferScot twitter account as being plausible. No actual media outlets have linked us to Halliday.

Fair point, I'm not sure it's any different to Livi's "interest" with the added angle of a former youth player returning

3 minutes ago, mozam76 said:

Livi Trust meeting on Sunday cancelled. 

I wish Don a speedy recovery, however the Trust calling a meeting after years of silence then cancelling it as 2 people can't go says much about the organisation. 

9 minutes ago, The Wrong Car said:

Fair point, I'm not sure it's any different to Livi's "interest" with the added angle of a former youth player returning

I think Martindale will definitely want him. He had a 32 year old centre mid on trial in Turkey and Halliday is also a 32 year old centre mid (meaning he wants this profile of player). Halliday will only come to us if every other option for him falls through first, though.

Edited by Freedom Farter

19 minutes ago, mozam76 said:

Livi Trust meeting on Sunday cancelled. 

All the faux urgency and doomsaying, and they cancel without having shared any information. Most of what they promised could easily be published in written form.

Is there only one person who has anything to share? 

I think the time might be coming for fans to push on and start something new rather than following on with the LFL Trust. If they can’t get a meeting on after the amount of panicking they’ve done over the situation then who’s to say they’ll ever be ready