Livingston - all the threads merged

14 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

I think the time might be coming for fans to push on and start something new rather than following on with the LFL Trust. If they can’t get a meeting on after the amount of panicking they’ve done over the situation then who’s to say they’ll ever be ready 

I’m not sure how that would work given that the Trust is a shareholder, and that it is the link to Supporters Direct (although I’ve no idea whether that carries any weight or not). 

I’m not sure our supporter numbers can legitimise a fully functioning supporters Trust if I’m being honest. Not one that wants to have a decent sized dog in any fight that is. We can only dream of the numbers achieved by Motherwell, Falkirk, St Mirren etc. It’s almost fifteen years since Massone and although our fan base is arguably younger (and perhaps bigger), there are still clear factions within it and local business people who can’t agree on the colour of shite. 

Edited by mozam76

7 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Martindale negotiating with Stewart's agent.

Never mind Martindale, that’s eerily similar to Don Paul’s offer to Massone all those years ago. 

35 minutes ago, mozam76 said:

I’m not sure how that would work given that the Trust is a shareholder, and that it is the link to Supporters Direct (although I’ve no idea whether that carries any weight or not). 

I’m not sure our supporter numbers can legitimise a fully functioning supporters Trust if I’m being honest. Not one that wants to have a decent sized dog in any fight that is. We can only dream of the numbers achieved by Motherwell, Falkirk, St Mirren etc. It’s almost fifteen years since Massone and although our fan base is arguably younger (and perhaps bigger), there are still clear factions within it and local business people who can’t agree on the colour of shite. 

As much as I'd like to see Livingston fan owned one day, there's no reason why a fans group can't begin to exert influence at board level. The Operating Fund during Covid showed the potential is there. For example, 500 fans paying £10 a month would be a yearly contribution of £60,000 - a decent financial contribution at this club.  

My biggest issue is that the Trust, in it's current form, seems to be just an extension of it's leader's ideas rather than a forum that allows fans input. For example, Don Paul's view that the club shouldn't have pursued the Hogarth money automatically became the Trust position despite numerous fans not knowing if they were in the trust. As FF mentioned previously, the Trust seems to idealise the period between Massone and Ward as they had a board member, ignoring the fact decisions made at that time completely alienated many fans. 

21 minutes ago, The Wrong Car said:

As much as I'd like to see Livingston fan owned one day, there's no reason why a fans group can't begin to exert influence at board level. The Operating Fund during Covid showed the potential is there. For example, 500 fans paying £10 a month would be a yearly contribution of £60,000 - a decent financial contribution at this club.  

My biggest issue is that the Trust, in it's current form, seems to be just an extension of it's leader's ideas rather than a forum that allows fans input. For example, Don Paul's view that the club shouldn't have pursued the Hogarth money automatically became the Trust position despite numerous fans not knowing if they were in the trust. As FF mentioned previously, the Trust seems to idealise the period between Massone and Ward as they had a board member, ignoring the fact decisions made at that time completely alienated many fans. 

Life memberships mean they can only ever claim to be representing an equal or greater number of fans, at the expense of regular membership income.

Their website - which, of course, hasn’t been updated for five years - states they have “over 400 members” yet their accounts from the same time say 313 members,  and the recent Facebook post with some old boy who’d become a new member showed him as member 332. Fishy.

As you say, this appears to be the Don Paul Supporters Trust and he is its only voice and authority, typified in the cancellation of this meeting because he can’t attend. If it was truly in the interests of all fans then it would be going ahead. 

I heard another board member, Rose McAulay, has been a close associate of Neil Rankine for a number of years. With that in mind, I doubt that it’s a coincidence that the Trust has reared its head at this time.

Could quite easily start from the beginning with a new trust, as those above have said £10 a month membership fee, gets you a vote on the position of the new trust on matters they take to the club etc. Far too much baggage attached to LFL and too much control in the hands of one person that likely doesn't want to step aside or abandon their own ideas on how things should be run

16 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Could quite easily start from the beginning with a new trust, as those above have said £10 a month membership fee, gets you a vote on the position of the new trust on matters they take to the club etc. Far too much baggage attached to LFL and too much control in the hands of one person that likely doesn't want to step aside or abandon their own ideas on how things should be run

How easy is it to transfer the LFC shareholding that the current trust has?

Trust getting a lot of negative rhetoric, 'just start all over again' seems pointless and practically not straightforward (shares etc) and smacks of personality conflict mindset.

Why don't you just join the effing Trust, and take some control, the message we all read said that if new blood were to step in, existing trust members would step away in a heartbeat. So why not spend some of this energy on calling to arms the other fans to join and re-invigorate?

As for divisions, only those who harbour those types of feelings even know about them, I have no fucking Idea what it means, we have one club to support, how difficult can it be to rally round our team/club/fans and put aside personal grievances ?

The amount of energy being expended on negativity is pish and makes for a hard read.

If you give a shit, the real question is 'what can i do to help' and it might involve joining the trust and sharing in a democratic process. It certainly involves moving from a fixed mindset to a more flexible one.

2 people cancelling is half the Trust board btw, shame I was going...need a new date now... (and if it was cancelled due to illness, I'd rather not be that person that says 'its not good enough')

I'm sure in a few replies time I'll regret posting (again)

Edited by larry the lion

51 minutes ago, larry the lion said:

Trust getting a lot of negative rhetoric, 'just start all over again' seems pointless and practically not straightforward (shares etc) and smacks of personality conflict mindset.

Why don't you just join the effing Trust, and take some control, the message we all read said that if new blood were to step in, existing trust members would step away in a heartbeat. So why not spend some of this energy on calling to arms the other fans to join and re-invigorate?

As for divisions, only those who harbour those types of feelings even know about them, I have no fucking Idea what it means, we have one club to support, how difficult can it be to rally round our team/club/fans and put aside personal grievances ?

The amount of energy being expended on negativity is pish and makes for a hard read.

If you give a shit, the real question is 'what can i do to help' and it might involve joining the trust and sharing in a democratic process. It certainly involves moving from a fixed mindset to a more flexible one.

2 people cancelling is half the Trust board btw, shame I was going...need a new date now... (and if it was cancelled due to illness, I'd rather not be that person that says 'its not good enough')

Could very well be an option but they don't exactly make it easy to join the trust at all. Just get the ball rolling and we can all start pulling in one direction for the club 

3 hours ago, The Wrong Car said:

I don't think having the same person as the Trust's man in the boardroom was a good idea either, it gets too comfortable for them, and brings a conflict of interest when they make friends on the board, they're there to represent the Trust, imo there should have been a new representative every year or two,.

All the admins and shit brought a lot of friction on the LiviLions forum, i don't think that ever got forgotten about, maybe now with younger ones coming in it will be a fresh start to get all that shit put to bed.

1 hour ago, larry the lion said:

2 people cancelling is half the Trust board btw, shame I was going...need a new date now... (and if it was cancelled due to illness, I'd rather not be that person that says 'its not good enough'

All fair points, and I wasn’t trying to be negative for negatives sake

However given there’s no meeting planned and it’s difficult to signup, I’m not sure how anyone can take part in their democratic process 

Martindale in the media saying ideally we get three in and three out:

He wants a defender, midfielder and a forward. Given the links I think the ideal scenario is something like

Def: ?
Mid: Andy Halliday
Fwd: Greg Stewart

Can see us being priced out of that completely though and end up with something daft like an 8th tier English player and no one else

20 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Martindale in the media saying ideally we get three in and three out:

I'm just not confident in Martindale's recruitment anymore. We've always had a small budget and were always likely to be outbid but the majority of signings would come good but recently our recruitment hasn't been good enough. 

I'd much rather a change in system with what we have compared to signing 3 new players to play in the same crap system. 

15 hours ago, larry the lion said:

You're attacking the wrong folk. Discussion in this thread was perfectly productive until the two interlopers showed up, one of whom is the Trust. With their partial outing, we've shaken them off for now. Folk are interested in joining the Trust, we're just highly sceptical of the side they're backing in the current ownership dispute.

12 hours ago, Livi La Vida Loca said:

I'm just not confident in Martindale's recruitment anymore. We've always had a small budget and were always likely to be outbid but the majority of signings would come good but recently our recruitment hasn't been good enough. 

I'd much rather a change in system with what we have compared to signing 3 new players to play in the same crap system. 

My fear too. The 3-4-2-1, in the way we've been playing it this season, has been so sterile. It has gotten the best out of Penrice but hamstrung too many of our other players. Just need to hope the correct blend is somehow found and it finally clicks.