Livingston - all the threads merged

43 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Not as exciting for you as a court case for sure. 🖐️

BIB. Like Anderson was in a struggling Livi team last season.

May scored 10 and 7 assists the season before, but Levein doesn't fancy him.

Remember Hughes punting Bobby Barr out to East Fife because he had the temerity to run up the pitch and score without passing, twice, in a win against Falkirk. Can be all sorts of reasons managers don't want players. 

Talking of court cases ho hum ✋

True but May has been at that club for many years under different mamagers. Not really done much. As i said i hope he does well as thats what Livi needs right now

Edited by Livi

23 hours ago, ATLIS said:

I will say this, May scored a hat-trick against us for Hamilton in 2013(?) from then on I'd always wanted us to sign him. Just didn't know that'd come to fruition when he's 31. Hoping it works out for us both, he's certainly experienced anyway which was something we were lacking up top.

I'm hoping this is a Lee Miller style signing rather than a Tony Stokes style signing for older players.

I mentioned this on the forum the other day. His performance that day exceptional. His third in particular was a peach, and led to me being berated by one of the mouth breathers in our support as I had the nerve to applaud him. Said supporter was told to Foxtrot Oscar. 

May was head and shoulders above anyone else that day. Hope it works out for all parties, and am very keen to see where he’s told to play. 

55 minutes ago, mozam76 said:

I mentioned this on the forum the other day. His performance that day exceptional. His third in particular was a peach, and led to me being berated by one of the mouth breathers in our support as I had the nerve to applaud him. Said supporter was told to Foxtrot Oscar. 

May was head and shoulders above anyone else that day. Hope it works out for all parties, and am very keen to see where he’s told to play. 

I remember sitting that day, thinking he was going to be the next big thing. Obviously didn't work out that way but he's still had a very good career. I've been coming around to the signing the more I think about it, big heavy metal, whole kiwi eating, Stevie May.

11 hours ago, mozam76 said:

very keen to see where he’s told to play

My guess is we might see May initially coming in at left wing in place of Shinnie. Looking at the Dunfermline and QP games, both Sole and Muirhead put in a lot of crosses from the right wing which often went to the back post. Shinnie was able to get on the end of a couple but its not really his strong point. As a natural centre forward, May might have a more predatory instinct. No idea on May's match fitness, though, so it might just be sub appearances at first.

Edited by Freedom Farter

12 hours ago, Livi said:

True but May has been at that club for many years under different mamagers. Not really done much. As i said i hope he does well as thats what Livi needs right now

He came in as a confidence sapped player who'd lost his way as McInnes had punted him to left midfield and told him to work like a dog to set things up for others.

19/20 he was brilliant beside Callum Hendry. Genuinely one of the best strike partnerships we've had since May/MacLean in 13/14. Hendry the "focal point" and May had a bit more freedom to do things. They absolutely ragdolled Rangers about to the point it almost got Gerrard sacked, then Covid ruined that. And that was him under Tommy Wright.

He then struggled under Davidson for a few years, due to Davidson stupid 5-2-3 shape that inevitably always appeared and got gradually less and less effective. We didn't have a striker who didn't struggle in that set up. Every time we went 2 up front and May played he tended to do well and score, then a few weeks later it was back to 1 up front.

MacLean spell isnt worth talking about. A tactical disaster with a half built squad learning each others name.

Then youre at Levein, who didnt fancy him from day one really, and was set pretty quickly on replacing him with genuine pace up front. Kimpioka/Sidibeh are two of the fastest players i remember us having.

10 hours ago, ATLIS said:

I remember sitting that day, thinking he was going to be the next big thing. Obviously didn't work out that way but he's still had a very good career. I've been coming around to the signing the more I think about it, big heavy metal, whole kiwi eating, Stevie May.

Worth saying he's not the same player as he was 10 years ago. His spell in England died when his knee literally imploded. It robbed him off some explosiveness, but also of some arrogance. He's a better footballer than he was in before that, in terms of technical stuff and reading the game, but he's less chaotic which was always his big draw back then.

46 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

He came in as a confidence sapped player who'd lost his way as McInnes had punted him to left midfield and told him to work like a dog to set things up for others.

I noticed this too. McInnes took the edge off May, dulled his potency. May hasn't really been a "no. 9" since then but rather a hard-running support striker.

19 minutes ago, Freedom Farter said:

I noticed this too. McInnes took the edge off May, dulled his potency. May hasn't really been a "no. 9" since then but rather a hard-running support striker.

Players coming in with the "hard-running support striker" tag usually seems to work out for us. See Robinson, Dykes, De Vita, Lawless etc

Would love to see us go 2 up front. Not sure of the best way to go about that right enough. No matter who our main striker is at the moment they end up out wide trying to hold up the ball or make something happen but I'd much rather a striker who exists just to score goals. 

While we have had success from unconventional wingers I'd rather see the likes of May, Yengi and Muirhead playing through the middle.

Hi,

Bit of a random question. Do the club still do pre-match meals/drink from the Almondvale Suite behind the goal?

i know they used to years ago, but can’t see anything on the website (so I’m guessing not).

24 minutes ago, dustybin said:

Hi,

Bit of a random question. Do the club still do pre-match meals/drink from the Almondvale Suite behind the goal?

i know they used to years ago, but can’t see anything on the website (so I’m guessing not).

Yes, food creations has the lease, it'll prob be open 12.00 or 12.30 on Saturday.

1 minute ago, Troy.1995 said:

Club usually put a post up in conjunction with Food Creations on a Saturday morning.Opens at 12pm.👍.

Aye the bar opens at 12, never sure if the suite will be 12 or 12.30. Forgot to get my ST discount last time i was in too.

1 hour ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Aye the bar opens at 12, never sure if the suite will be 12 or 12.30. Forgot to get my ST discount last time i was in too.

Think its usually 12 particularly if there's a live match on which starts at 12:30

Really excited to see how May fits in - contrary to other opinions I wonder if DM will play him through the middle and be a natural sub for Yengi and vice versa. Both different players so if we need height etc Yengi is your man if we need a runner then May. 

Looking forward to the game today, I think a wee win could really boost our confidence going into the Raith game next week, and of course the dreaded Spartans game the week after. 

10 minutes ago, LogieLivi said:

Can't wait for the post match interview.

"Matty Clarke and Liam Sole lost us that match."

Felt like we lost it, after having it almost in the bag, but it was a draw.

Sole wasn't on the pitch long enough to get up to speed of the game, lost his man not tracking him back, then got on the wrong side of him allowing the reverse pass to cut inside of us and get through into the box, then made a rash tackle from behind. Up till then we were looking like getting a 2nd and having a comfortable afternoon seeing it out.

Would prefer starting Sole and Muirhead in games though, always feels like we're struggling 1st half with teams sitting in against us, Sole at least gives you a winger to take players on and get past them, putting them on the back foot and  opening up gaps for other players. Yengi always looks like Bambi on ice when he's got his back to goal and having to turn, and Shinnie just isn't a winger.

1 minute ago, Livi said:

Called the draw given how Martindale sets up his teams

He has got half decent players at this level but he sets up to defensive

✋

Agree,why so defensive??

Particularly as we're at home and against one of the weaker sides we'll face this season. 

Edited by Dav nan Gael