Livingston - all the threads merged

Just now, LiviLion said:

I'm worried at the thought of Jim Duffy. He'd have us in a good position with a few months to go before losing every game and getting relegated.

Nah, he'd have us top six till just before the split then finish up getting 10th place, that would do for me.

Just now, EdinburghLivi said:

Duffy is a serial failure. We would be better appointing someone with zero experience like Hopkin.

Hoppy's first stint took us down to League One, i'd rather have a manager with experience and being reliable. He did a good job at Morton but just never progressed enough to get them above mid table, reckon he'd be reliable enough to keep us up next season. That is if Hoppy leaves, which hasn't happened yet.

5 hours ago, Whitburn Vale said:

If feel he should stay,at least for one more season.

He should enjoy the fact of leading this team back into the premiership after a 12 year absence

If we manage to stay up then superb for both parties,for LFC and hoppy.

His stock will hav risen again,then fair play to him and he can then move on full in the knowledge he has probably took us as far as he can.

4 hours ago, JimmyMirren said:

We felt the same about Jack Ross, but unfortunately football management is a fickle game, and managing to take you guys up with back to back promotions and on a shoe-string budget means he's now on the radar for every managerial merry-go-round between now and the start of the season.

I for one hope he does come out publicly and stay with you, at least then it'll end the rumours that he's on our shortlist. Much as though he's proved to be a shrewd operator, his style of play isn't what we're looking for just now.

Football management is like any other career - if you get a chance to make a step up to a more lucrative job with more opportunities, generally you should take it.

Ross is gone, and if Hopkin goes as well, you can’t really blame them. Alan Archibald is an example of how things can work out badly for you if you don’t take your chances when your stock is high. He was linked with other positions after taking us to top six, but decided to stay put - not massive jobs, but the likes of Oxford and Shrewsbury who would no doubt have doubled his wages and given him more exposure. He distanced himself from these and then one year later look at his situation. He’s undone five years of work in one poor season.

It’s shite for the teams, players and fans, but you really can’t blame these guys for jumping ship if they get the chance.

1 hour ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Hoppy's first stint took us down to League One, i'd rather have a manager with experience and being reliable. He did a good job at Morton but just never progressed enough to get them above mid table, reckon he'd be reliable enough to keep us up next season. That is if Hoppy leaves, which hasn't happened yet.

The multiple top-flight relegations is reliable, all right.

Some ridiculous revisionism going on here simply because he was gracious in defeat whilst we beat them 4 times out of 5.

Some ridiculous revisionism going on here simply because he was gracious in defeat whilst we beat them 4 times out of 5.

Precisely this, Duffy would probably be an adequate choice if we were looking to finish above the relegation play-off spot in the Championship, but he should be nowhere near a Premiership job.

Duffy and Martindale, L Miller and Martindale, Alexander and Martindale. 

If Hoppy does go I'd take Jim Duffy. He has the spine of the team left in players already signed and he knows how we play. I think he could work with our budget in a way others like Neilson and McKinnon, McIntyre  etc wouldn't be used to. 

Martindale knows the club and could work with the other two as player managers.

Hope Hoppy stays though.

1 hour ago, EdinburghLivi said:

Some revisionism going on yourself with the facts on Duffy's managerial career, making out it was all a failure.

5 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

Peter Houston before Jim Duffy for me. 

Ok now you’ve lost the plot, Peter Houston ?

Absolutely not, nothing to substantiate it with, I just don’t like the idiot. 

3 hours ago, andylivi1 said:

Ok now you’ve lost the plot, Peter Houston ?

Absolutely not, nothing to substantiate it with, I just don’t like the idiot. 

1 hour ago, Snooky said:

Can not believe Houston is getting mentioned! He was hopeless at Falkirk and did nothing but deride this Livi team!

I really hope my post didn't come across as serious :lol:

53 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

How are you guys dealing with Hopkin for batting his eyelashes at St Mirren? Expected better or does he deserve time and space to make a decision?

I think I'd struggle to not be mightily miffed.

Also, how many of the squad have signed up for next season?

It's a bit mixed tbh. He does deserve a step up and I'll fully understand if he moves and thank him for all he's done. The frustrating side though is how long it's taking, i.e. everyone thinking he'll make his decision today, only for that decision to be that he'll think about it while he's on holiday. Its great that he's still looking at potential signings etc but how many will sign when they're unsure if he'll even be here?

49 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

I really hope my post didn't come across as serious :lol:

It's a bit mixed tbh. He does deserve a step up and I'll fully understand if he moves and thank him for all he's done. The frustrating side though is how long it's taking, i.e. everyone thinking he'll make his decision today, only for that decision to be that he'll think about it while he's on holiday. Its great that he's still looking at potential signings etc but how many will sign when they're unsure if he'll even be here?

Phew! I was obviously whooshed!

It's a pretty risky strategy by Hopkin. He's not going to Morton , doesn't seem to have the Carlisle job, Shrewsbury don't have a vacancy and if they did, only said he'd be considered, while he's one of a number of options for St mirren who haven't even drawn up a shortlist right now. Would serve him right if Livi withdrew their offer because of all his fannying about.