Livingston - all the threads merged

38 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Although I have highlighted his poor record over the last 4 years Isma was excellent for us during his time and he done well at Hearts. However his career seems to have nosedived since then. I saw a photo of him when playing 3rd div Japan and he had put on weight. There is a player in there but averaging only 10 games a year for the last four years would indicate a fitness or attitude issue. At 31 I'd expect him to be trying his best to keep his career going but it looks like he has been coasting. Hope it works out for him.

Same scenario as JET, if we can get him fit then he'll do the biz, bonus is us getting him in the close season so we can put him through our pre season training.

4 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Same scenario as JET, if we can get him fit then he'll do the biz, bonus is us getting him in the close season so we can put him through our pre season training.

When he signed for us, Austin McPhee was appointed as his nanny (pun coincidental), as reported at the time. Apparently Isma had a tendency to enjoy the good life a little bit, and Austin was to keep him from doing too many things that could affect his fitness and motivation. There was a newspaper story about it at the time. I’ll try and find it.

13 minutes ago, Kyle Reese said:

When he signed for us, Austin McPhee was appointed as his nanny (pun coincidental), as reported at the time. Apparently Isma had a tendency to enjoy the good life a little bit, and Austin was to keep him from doing too many things that could affect his fitness and motivation. There was a newspaper story about it at the time. I’ll try and find it.

14 hours ago, flyingscot said:

His fitness and distractions were an issue at Rio Ave before Saints by all accounts. Austin McPhee took him to his parents wedding anniversary the night before Hampden to keep an eye on him! 

Just hire Austin and you’ll be fine 👍🏻

9 minutes ago, Kyle Reese said:

Basically just sounds like Dolly Menga then :D There was a few stories about him during his career, I imagine Dolly is probably worse than Isma could ever be

Dolly Menga profiled as former boss reveals all on Livingston hero - Daily Record

"Dolly Menga has finally woken up to his potential after his former boss feared his career would be wrecked by continually sleeping in for training."

Apparently the club he was with then gave him a hotel 5 minutes from the training ground and he was still late as he didn't like clocks in his house or use an alarm clock 

15 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Basically just sounds like Dolly Menga then :D There was a few stories about him during his career, I imagine Dolly is probably worse than Isma could ever be

Dolly Menga profiled as former boss reveals all on Livingston hero - Daily Record

"Dolly Menga has finally woken up to his potential after his former boss feared his career would be wrecked by continually sleeping in for training."

Apparently the club he was with then gave him a hotel 5 minutes from the training ground and he was still late as he didn't like clocks in his house or use an alarm clock 

Does that make him mercurial or just eccentric, I can’t decide. 😄

Given he's come from the much lesser Bangladeshi economy, Isma may have been signed here on a relatively low wage. My guess is his squad role might be back up to Anderson for centre forward. Martindale might've seen with Hamilton and Soto this season that young strikers don't make good back ups. To only dip in and out the team as a centre forward requires a self-assuredness more often found in an older player. Isma's career was petering out so he may've been happy to accept an initial back up squad role in return for the chance to play at this level again. He can also play wide attack but he's not much of a dribbler and a bit one-footed (right). 

Incidentally, the squad has no natural wide forwards currently (Montaño is best as a left mid and Nouble in a front 2) so Martindale might be considering going with a 3-5-2 next season. I doubt it, though. We'll probably see a wide forward or two signed over the summer and a variation of 4-3-3 remaining the primary set up.

A whiff of the Poplatniks about this signing.  Poor scoring record in obscure leagues before coming here.  Took a few (I'm assuming) lucrative moves to said obscure leagues at a young age.  Really want to be proved wrong here.

A whiff of the Poplatniks about this signing.  Poor scoring record in obscure leagues before coming here.  Took a few (I'm assuming) lucrative moves to said obscure leagues at a young age.  Really want to be proved wrong here.
I'm not sure, seems more like the Jet signing. However, this time we have a full pre season to get him in shape. Jet was technically one of the best players we've ever had at Livi once he got fit. If Goncalves can replicate his Hearts and Saints form for us then Martindale has made another shrewd signing.

Seems rude not to ask you chaps what your opinions are of Alan Forrest, since we appear to be keen on him. 
On his day he's brilliant, however, I'd say he was a bit inconsistent. Has a tendency to try to do too much himself and ignores team mates. Can be lethal when cutting in from the left wing onto his right foot, it became his signature goal and it surprised me that teams didn't seem clued up on that. Should do well for Hearts and I would expect him to be in and around the national team if he does as well as he should

29 minutes ago, Kyle Reese said:

Seems rude not to ask you chaps what your opinions are of Alan Forrest, since we appear to be keen on him. 

He was unplayable against Hibs in a couple of games, ripped them to pieces and got Hanlon red carded, so should be brilliant in a derby game. Needs to show that level of performance more consistently though, no idea whether he will or not, but if he does you'll have some player, might even be better than his brother.

7 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

I see we’ve signed Jack McMillan. What has he been like for you guys ? 

Underused, and deserves much better.

Never let us down no matter where he was played, always put in a good solid performance. Stuck him in midfield and was outstanding in a couple of games, but never got back near the team again once Kelly got the nod over him, and we also had Holt, Pittman and Omeonga in there ahead of him. Brilliant utility player but really should be playing regularly, will be outstanding for you i've no doubt.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

28 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:
42 minutes ago, Kyle Reese said:

On his day he's brilliant, however, I'd say he was a bit inconsistent. Has a tendency to try to do too much himself and ignores team mates. Can be lethal when cutting in from the left wing onto his right foot, it became his signature goal and it surprised me that teams didn't seem clued up on that. Should do well for Hearts and I would expect him to be in and around the national team if he does as well as he should

^^ I agree with most of this, clearly inconsistent, great on his day (which conveniantly seems to happen a lot more often when he's looking for a contract). No danger is he getting anywhere near the national team set up however, I'd be surprised if he even becomes a consistent starter for Hearts.

3 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Underused, and deserves much better.

Never let us down no matter where he was played, always put in a good solid performance. Stuck him in midfield and was outstanding in a couple of games, but never got back near the team again once Kelly got the nod over him, and we also had Holt, Pittman and Omeonga in there ahead of him. Brilliant utility player but really should be playing regular, will be outstanding for you i've no doubt.

Cheers for that. I guess we will be playing him at full back. When he played for us before, I don’t remember him being the type that got forward a lot, which is what we have really missed.

1 minute ago, jagsfan57 said:

Cheers for that. I guess we will be playing him at full back. When he played for us before, I don’t remember him being the type that got forward a lot, which is what we have really missed.

Yeah he's not as good as Devlin going forward bombing down the wing, or Penrice (who has really kicked on this season) on the left, but did a decent enough job doing it, really surprised me how well he did in midfield too, could actually have been his best position playing for us. Solid defensively though and gives it his all. There were always better players in there ahead of him, which i guess was why he was only ever getting used as a utility player, which was a shame.

Considering he only got the odd game here and there he did amazingly well performing to such a good standard, reckon he would thrive getting regular games, and could only get better.

1 hour ago, Kyle Reese said:

Kicked on a lot in the second half of the season. Despite typically being predictable (he loves to cut in from the left on his right foot), defenders still seemed to struggle with it. I think he can ably play anywhere across the front three if asked due to his pace and ability on the ball. 

I think he has a higher ceiling than Hearts if he continues that form.

40 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

I see we’ve signed Jack McMillan. What has he been like for you guys ? 

His versatility has probably worked against him. He kept getting shunted into different positions for us and was unable to nail down a consistent position in the team. 

Would have been very happy if we had kept him on but he needs to play more games to get to that solid Premiership standard that I think is in there.