Livingston - all the threads merged

16 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Aye we'd been stuck in a queue getting up to the stadium carpark entrance for 20 odd mins, then as we got near it a steward was turning cars away saying it was full. We were coming from the roundabout side and there was a shitload of cars coming the other way, all jammed up, reckon we'd have taken at least 25 mins to get turned round and back to the roundabout to go find a place to park and would've missed about 25-35 mins of the game, so just kept going and headed back home.. Was about 5 mins to ko by the time we got near to the carpark. Was paying at the gate so wasn't out of pocket buying a ticket, maybe would've went in late if i had.

Been going to Livi games for about 27 years and never had that happen to me before, been to a lot of games at TFS too and not had any problems parking in the carpark before, but last night was hellish.

That's not helped by an increase in the home crowd who will be using that car park as the home end spaces are sold out. The roadworks are a pain as well.

I'd you're coming through next time getting through a bit earlier and parking at the college just up the road and walking over is your best bet. It's free too. 

2 hours ago, hoobahabba said:

So good to see Pittman thriving again. I thought he was our best player yesterday. He gets better every game so must be regaining a level of confidence that he had perhaps lost in the premiership latterly. It's been said before but I really don't think we will ever see another player like him. 

As others have said, our defence is looking strong this season. McGowan and Nottingham look very comfortable at this level and I don't see us conceding many goals. We are, however, lacking creativity going forward. Was hoping Stephen Kelly would be our playmaker this season but Martindale seems to be using him in a more conservative role. Priority going forward (no pun intended) is to establish what we're going to do to create chances. It's not obvious that the players know exactly what they're doing in attack and the lack of consistency around our starting frontline will affect our chances of promotion if it isn't settled soon. Falkirk were far more purposeful in possession than we were last night and looked threatening whenever they had the ball. They were also far more open at the back but we weren't able to capitalise on this and gave up on trying from the second half onwards. 

Kelly is still very much our playmaker but I know what you mean. Our early matches had him as a "10" but off-centre, in the inside left channel. Recently he's been pulled back from there and he now starts in line with Pittman as another "8". Although last night he was actually the "6" but I think that was specific to Falkirk so I don't expect to see it often. I'm happy with the slightly deeper role for Kelly as it gets him on the ball that bit earlier in build up. I think your point was also that Kelly spending slightly less time in the attacking third reduces the amount of creativity we have in that area and, aye, that's the trade off. Just need the right blend of front three to be found so they can provide more creativity as well as more potency.

Edited by Freedom Farter

12 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Aye we'd been stuck in a queue getting up to the stadium carpark entrance for 20 odd mins, then as we got near it a steward was turning cars away saying it was full. We were coming from the roundabout side and there was a shitload of cars coming the other way, all jammed up, reckon we'd have taken at least 25 mins to get turned round and back to the roundabout to go find a place to park and would've missed about 25-35 mins of the game, so just kept going and headed back home.. Was about 5 mins to ko by the time we got near to the carpark. Was paying at the gate so wasn't out of pocket buying a ticket, maybe would've went in late if i had.

Been going to Livi games for about 27 years and never had that happen to me before, been to a lot of games at TFS too and not had any problems parking in the carpark before, but last night was hellish.

I arrived not long before kick off before the Ayr game on Saturday and it was the same then with cars being turned away. The council have closed basically all the footpaths around the stadium due to complete incompetence which makes it a nightmare to walk in from any direction. That combined with the larger crowds means a lot more people will be using the car parks I reckon 

37 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Mentioned on another Livi forum that lack of a settled front three is our main problem in attack, Shinnie and Muirhead are doing the hokey cokey having turn about playing left in a front three, Sole has hardly had any game time playing on the right, and even Smith wasn't there to start with and gets chopped and changed. May was originally playing with Yengi, who is out injured, and Winter gets subbed on late like Sole was doing. So in 3 positions we've had Yengi/May/Muirhead/Shinnie/Winter/Sole/Smith, this just isn't giving us a settled attack. 8 league games in and we need to decide on a settled attacking 3, and stick to it, so they can form an understanding. My choice would be Muirhead*-May-Sole starting every game, by all means bring subs on if needed later in the game, but get some consistency in attack by starting those players.

In contrast we've got a settled back four, with only Montano now coming in for Clarke at LB, and that is paying dividends, building a solid defence.

*Muirhead has scored something like 32 goals the last 2 seasons, and a few with us this season, so i'd be getting him having a run of games to get him into his stride, same with Sole, he's looked our best winger, so give him a run to establish himself playing there.

Sole was subbed at half time last night, as you'll have read. He'd failed to link with Finlayson a couple of times, instead knocking a loose pass inside to a Falkirk player. This wouldn't have been a problem in any previous game this season but Falkirk were pressing high, meaning those failed combinations with Finlayson were happening inside our own half. Oliver was often drifting from centre forward over to the left to give them an overload so Martindale maybe also wanted a better defensive winger on that side, which Smith is. Sole also mishit most of crosses, he was just having an off night. Yet he still showed again that he's able to beat his man and get his cross in every time which you can't say about any of our other wide attackers.

38 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

We parked in the Kelpies car park LF,10 min walk to the stadium.

1 hour ago, Dav nan Gael said:

We parked in the Kelpies car park LF,10 min walk to the stadium.

Aye said to my mate who was driving we'd have been better going there, when we had gone round past that turn off heading to the stadium. Hadn't had any problems before going to the stadium carpark though so didn't know to expect it last night. Was too late by the time we were there to try and go back, though some in front of us were making crazy u turns just blocking oncoming traffic, was all getting a bit wacky races.

Aye next time i'll give us plenty time to get there and use the College or Kelpies carparks and walk back, just to be on the safe side. On the plus side, anytime my mate has gone to a Falkirk away game we've lost, so we made the sacrifice of going home for the good of the team.  😂

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

1 hour ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

I arrived not long before kick off before the Ayr game on Saturday and it was the same then with cars being turned away. The council have closed basically all the footpaths around the stadium due to complete incompetence which makes it a nightmare to walk in from any direction. That combined with the larger crowds means a lot more people will be using the car parks I reckon 

Aye we came in past the home carpark entrance and there were queues going back along the road there too, home fans were probably using the other car park as well. 

I parked in the college carpark after doing a lap around the scheme. Does feel like a significant proportion of people going to games there are going to be driving. Don’t understand why that footpath on the roundabout has the semi-perm heras fencing right up to the kerb. A bit of common sense wouldve allows access to the pavement. 

2 minutes ago, crispy said:

I parked in the college carpark after doing a lap around the scheme. Does feel like a significant proportion of people going to games there are going to be driving. Don’t understand why that footpath on the roundabout has the semi-perm heras fencing right up to the kerb. A bit of common sense wouldve allows access to the pavement. 

It's been like that for months. Almost inevitable that someone in a hurry to get to the ground will meet someone driving too fast as they enter the roundabout!

8 hours ago, crispy said:

Feel free to ask Falkirk council.  We don’t have a clue (nor I suspect do they).  Ironically, my understanding is that at least part of this work is to enhance pedestrian safety…

You should see the ridiculous diverted footpath.  Everyone from the stadium is expected to go that way, is at best 3 people wide, and unlit.  In winter it’s chaos as it floods then freezes and doesn’t get gritted, as are the roads round the Bog you come out into.

Martindale suggesting in his post match interview that he's gonna rest a few for the Caley game on Saturday. 

Fair enough,but hopefully he's also mindful of our horrendous cup record vs Inverness.....

1 hour ago, Dav nan Gael said:

Martindale suggesting in his post match interview that he's gonna rest a few for the Caley game on Saturday. 

Fair enough,but hopefully he's also mindful of our horrendous cup record vs Inverness.....

Aye that'll be 3 games in 7 days. Might see Green and Lawal getting a game now though, prob Winter, Carson and Shinnie starting too, Sole only played 45 mins and even less against Partick, so should be fine starting again.

56 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Aye that'll be 3 games in 7 days. Might see Green and Lawal getting a game now though, prob Winter, Carson and Shinnie starting too, Sole only played 45 mins and even less against Partick, so should be fine starting again.

He said Carson wouldn't be available.

On 09/10/2024 at 12:55, LIVIFOREVER said:

Have we ever had young CB players coming through, only decent one i can think of we didn't play him and let him go to County, where he had a great career. Big ginger haired guy, came from Whitburn too (my home town) but can't remember his name.

Suppose McPake could count, started off as a striker but wasn't very good, and was changed to a CB, where he was a lot better, but got injured a lot.

The young CBs I remember seeing in and around the first team (with varying success rates) would be Stewart Greacen, Ryan Harding, Neil Hastings, Coll Donaldson and Callum Fordyce. Not a huge amount of games with us across that lot other than Fordyce (95 league appearances) and maybe Donaldson (24 league appearances). Compare that list to the forwards we've produced; Snodgrass, Dorrans, Halliday, McNulty, Mullin, Jacobs, Griffiths

41 minutes ago, The Wrong Car said:

I think he’s referring to Scott Boyd? 

Aye Scotty Boyd is a Whitburn lad,like Ricey,LF and maself. 

Rated him to be fair,he did well at County.

Not sure where he is now ?

4 hours ago, Cptn Hooch said:

The young CBs I remember seeing in and around the first team (with varying success rates) would be Stewart Greacen, Ryan Harding, Neil Hastings, Coll Donaldson and Callum Fordyce. Not a huge amount of games with us across that lot other than Fordyce (95 league appearances) and maybe Donaldson (24 league appearances). Compare that list to the forwards we've produced; Snodgrass, Dorrans, Halliday, McNulty, Mullin, Jacobs, Griffiths

There’s Cameron McDonald as well, played over 100 times. Plus James McPake (who was a striker at youth level) but switched to CB later. 

Edited by livicrazy