Quick Question Thread

19 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Non deviants put those things inside the roll.

Maybe a bit pedantic but if the sausage/black pudding is put inside the roll, then the roll is on the sausage/black pudding. Schrodinger's roll, maybe.

4 minutes ago, Dan Steele said:

Maybe a bit pedantic but if the sausage/black pudding is put inside the roll, then the roll is on the sausage/black pudding. Schrodinger's roll, maybe.

Isn’t it on half the roll and in the whole roll, and what it you flip it over? Can you split the roll in an alternate manner? Must you divide the halves of the roll, or leave them connected? So many questions, so few clear answers.

15 hours ago, Dan Steele said:

No, the sausage/black pudding is in the roll so only the top half of the roll is on the sausage/black pudding.

I'm not sure why this is contentious - we happily say mince pie rather than mince in a pie and not a word of rebuke is spoken.

1 hour ago, hk blues said:

No, the sausage/black pudding is in the roll so only the top half of the roll is on the sausage/black pudding.

I'm not sure why this is contentious - we happily say mince pie rather than mince in a pie and not a word of rebuke is spoken.

The issue here is folk like me being raised in town where "roll on sausage", "roll on bacon" and so on were common enough phrases, and folk from other towns foaming at the mouth about it. 

6 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

The issue here is folk like me being raised in town where "roll on sausage", "roll on bacon" and so on were common enough phrases, and folk from other towns foaming at the mouth about it. 

Please stop this outbreak of pedantry.  Debating the respective merits of roll "on", "in" or "and" sausage is a pointless exercise... It'll look a damn sight worse once you've eaten it. Get it roon yie and glory in the excellence of Scottish cuisine!

Edited by Salt n Vinegar
Autocorrect doesn't like "roon".

1 hour ago, hk blues said:

Because "mince in a pie" is a contradiction in terms. Take away the mince and you don't have a pie, you have a pastry shell. Take the sausage out of a roll-and/on-sausage and you still have a roll.

30 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

The issue here is folk like me being raised in town where "roll on sausage", "roll on bacon" and so on were common enough phrases

Yokels.  

16 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Since we are clearly teetering around the subject and can clear up many things at once.  

Roll and square 🤌

Not fussed what you call it as long as it doesn't include the phrase "roll-on" or "bap".

15 minutes ago, Empty It said:

Not fussed what you call it as long as it doesn't include the phrase "roll-on" or "bap".

Bap I understand. We're not in Essex.

Roll on square sausage for lunch today, dedicated to you.

48 minutes ago, GordonD said:

Because "mince in a pie" is a contradiction in terms. Take away the mince and you don't have a pie, you have a pastry shell. Take the sausage out of a roll-and/on-sausage and you still have a roll.

Nah...your argument falls at the 1st hurdle because you can't take the sausage out of a roll and/on sausage as the sausage is as integral a part of that food item as the mince in a mince pie.  If you ordered a roll and/on sausage in a cafe and they said "Sorry, no sausages would you mind just having the roll?" I'm pretty sure you'd say thanks, but no thanks.  

8 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Better putting the square sausage inside the roll.

Even better, bin the square sausage and get a bit of Lorne on it instead. 

Now, I've just seen I said Lorne on it rather than in it, an anomalous use of the language rather a mistake I'd say.

10 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Even better, bin the square sausage and get a bit of Lorne on it instead. 

Now, I've just seen I said Lorne on it rather than in it, an anomalous use of the language rather a mistake I'd say.

Roll on Lorne? Sure. 

Square sausage/Lorne is interchangable.  

Just realised I have no rolls, so lunch will be a square sausage sandwich. With brown sauce.