Quick Question Thread

Is it worth reading "The Doors Of Perception" by Aldous Huxley? My lecturer said it was worth a read and he's usually right about things like this... however I fear that by posting this I may awaken Supras and he may come forth to spout his p*sh about drug legalisation and ruin the thread.

Is it worth reading "The Doors Of Perception" by Aldous Huxley? My lecturer said it was worth a read and he's usually right about things like this... however I fear that by posting this I may awaken Supras and he may come forth to spout his p*sh about drug legalisation and ruin the thread.

Eh, posting my user name is the thing that alerted me, given I never read this thread.

I never even heard of this book but if you think drug legalisation is 'pish' then I would suggest that reading is not for you.

Guest The Phoenix

We all have our slip ups, just as someone who has been running around a swimming pool

You should be trying extra hard during your special week.

Disappointed is an understatement.

I can't tell you how sick I am of typing "Golden™" I built this up too much, f**k Goldenweek™ P&B can have a Goldenday™

(which at the time of posting and that and this means it is no longer Goldenday™)

WOOOO! Same time next year

That's assuming you've not "resigned" by then, but mysteriously there's a new poster called BigDerekJohnstoneNo1

Guest The Phoenix

Are fish capable of emitting sound?

Good question.

Do Fish Make Noise?

Fish don’t have voices as most animals do, but they can make noise through an organ called an air bladder. The air bladder acts primarily as a “float” to keep the fish at a certain level in the water by filling up with gas from the fish’s blood.

When the fish wants to swim toward the surface, the bladder fills with gas. When the fish wants to descend, the bladder empties. Some fish can use this bladder to send vibrations through the water in the form of whistles, booms, growls, thumps, grunts, and even tinkly musical sounds. These vibrations can be “heard” by other fish.

There are fish that can make noise by grating their teeth. One fish that lives in the Mediterranean utters a tinkly musical sound, and is called the “siren” by local fishermen. Some mackerel utter grunting sounds loud enough to be heard out of the water.

Fascinating.

I'm now convinced that some eminent posters on here are indeed mackerel.

I'm thinking about applying for the Scottish Youth Parliament. Has anyone here ever been part of it?

I didn't even know that existed! I know that there is a UK Youth Parliament, but never realised there was a Scottish one. Good luck if you go for it Sooky, go and take these politicians on!

I'm thinking about applying for the Scottish Youth Parliament. Has anyone here ever been part of it?

No, but we did have a few elections for it in our school. Go for it I say, if you are interested in it that is.