Quick Question Thread

Wasn't sure where to put this so thought id put it here.

Higher Chemistry Calculations

A mixture of magnesium chloride and magnesium sulphate is known to contain 0.6 mol of chloride ions and 0.2 mol of sulphate ions.

What is the number of moles of magnesium ions present.

A - 0.4

B - 0.5

C - 0.8

D - 1.0

I haven't done Higher Chemistry in a couple of years but I can remember this question well. I constantly got it wrong so I got it drummed into my head by my teacher.

MgCl2 has one mole of magnesium for every 2 moles of chloride. If you have 0.6 moles of chloride, then you have 0.3 moles of magnesium.

MgSO4 has one mole of magnesium for every one mole of SO4. That means you have 0.2 M magnesium here.

0.3 + 0.2 = 0.5 moles magnesium

I think that's how it goes. Chemistry was hit and miss for me.

Edited by yoda

Today, I accidentally poured tert-amyl alcohol into 40oC Sulfuric Acid (oops). It vapourised immediately and I inhaled quite a bit of it.

In the Lab Manual it says "tert-amyl alcohol: irritant, combustible - AVOID SKIN CONTACT/INHALATION". Some of it also got on my hand and it dried quickly and went white. Ever since then, I can taste and smell the alcohol.

Am I going to die?

Today, I accidentally poured tert-amyl alcohol into 40oC Sulfuric Acid (oops). It vapourised immediately and I inhaled quite a bit of it.

In the Lab Manual it says "tert-amyl alcohol: irritant, combustible - AVOID SKIN CONTACT/INHALATION". Some of it also got on my hand and it dried quickly and went white. Ever since then, I can taste and smell the alcohol.

Am I going to die?

Everyone is, brother.

Wasn't sure where to put this so thought id put it here.

Higher Chemistry Calculations

A mixture of magnesium chloride and magnesium sulphate is known to contain 0.6 mol of chloride ions and 0.2 mol of sulphate ions.

What is the number of moles of magnesium ions present.

A - 0.4

B - 0.5

C - 0.8

D - 1.0

Mol ratios.

The valency of Magnesium is 2 and Chlorine is 1. Therefore two Cl- ions are formed for every Mg2+ formed by melting/dissolving magnesium chloride. 0.6 mol of Cl- thus produces 0.3 mol of Mg2+.

The valency of Magnesium is 2 and the Sulphate ion 2 also. Therefore one SO42- ion is formed for every Mg2+ formed by melting/dissolving magnesium sulphate. 0.2 mol of SO42- thus produces 0.2 mol of Mg2+.

Then just add 0.3 mol to 0.2 mol producing a net Mg2+ abundance of 0.5 mol.

Edited by Ad Lib

Am I going to die?

I did that, it didn't harm me brain! :)