Quick Question Thread

How much would a taxi be from Glasgow city centre to somewhere like Motherwell after a Saturday night out?

That taxi calculator website claims it'll be ~£28 but I've discovered it can be a bit inaccurate.

It's around £25-£30 to Cumbernauld/Kirkintilloch which is up to 15-20 miles away so, as a guess, roughly between there.

Here's something I've often wondered. Donald Findlay is one of the highest paid lawyers in the country. He's also defended in some of the most high profile cases in Scotland, such as Peter Tobin. Is he highly paid because he is willing to defend these types of people, or is he highly paid because he's a very good QC and can demand those rates?

Presumably, many of his clients require Legal Aid, and if this is the case, if you're accused of a really serious crime, are you allowed to demand a hot-shot lawyer rather than a Lionel Hutz type character?

Got a passport that has expired, can i still use it as ID?

Some places may refuse as it's not current. Some will accept. Same with driving licences

Here's something I've often wondered. Donald Findlay is one of the highest paid lawyers in the country. He's also defended in some of the most high profile cases in Scotland, such as Peter Tobin. Is he highly paid because he is willing to defend these types of people, or is he highly paid because he's a very good QC and can demand those rates?

Presumably, many of his clients require Legal Aid, and if this is the case, if you're accused of a really serious crime, are you allowed to demand a hot-shot lawyer rather than a Lionel Hutz type character?

I would imagine there would be a cap on the amount of legal aid you could claim.

The key word there is 'imagine'; I don't have a clue and based this assertion on pure guesswork.

Ok cheers, not got anything else so it will have to do, for a night out in Newcastle, just hope the bouncers play nice

Should be fine, it's got your photo and date of birth which should be all they're interested in.

Ok cheers, not got anything else so it will have to do, for a night out in Newcastle, just hope the bouncers play nice

Guessing your night out was last night but Newcastle bouncers are amongst the soundest I've come across. I rarely get ID'd down there despite looking pretty young.

Got a passport that has expired, can i still use it as ID?

If the person who is "ID-ing" you knows their job properly then no. An expired passport is not classed as valid proof of ID. You'll find more often than not though, they don't know this and you'll usually get away with it.

We moved into this flat on the 1st of July last year and within a couple of weeks we'd received a letter from Scottish hydro to the occupier (us) asking for our electricity meter reading. Once we'd given them it we were able to set up a direct debit and have been paying them since. Up until a few months ago I'd presumed this had included the gas but it seems this probably isn't the case, but with no gas company getting in touch with us we've been fairly ignorant to this fact. It's a property rented through a fairly large (mostly student properties) letting agency, but having asked them they say it's up to us.

Bit confused as to why a gas company hasn't got in touch with us regarding our gas, which unless our previous tenants are still unkowingly paying our gas bills must be left unpaid. Should I be actively finding the gas company responsible for the bills or playing ignorant to the fact we thought it was all through Scottish Hydro? Worried come this July, or even after we move out in June 2015 we'll be getting whacked with a monster bill.

Anyone been in this situation or have any advice?

Edited by GorgieRoad

When we moved in to our flat, we called the gas supplier to move the account to us. They said they didn't supply us. We called another to get hooked up with them. They told us that we were supplied by the initial supplier (because they were able to look it up) and that we should contact them. No one would take responsibility so we got free gas for about six months - until the original company worked out that they were actually supplying us and hit us with a bill so we needed to get a card meter in to pay it off.

In short; just phone a supplier. They may be able to find out who it is and sort it from there. The sooner you do it, the smaller the bill will be.

We moved into this flat on the 1st of July last year and within a couple of weeks we'd received a letter from Scottish hydro to the occupier (us) asking for our electricity meter reading. Once we'd given them it we were able to set up a direct debit and have been paying them since. Up until a few months ago I'd presumed this had included the gas but it seems this probably isn't the case, but with no gas company getting in touch with us we've been fairly ignorant to this fact. It's a property rented through a fairly large (mostly student properties) letting agency, but having asked them they say it's up to us.

Bit confused as to why a gas company hasn't got in touch with us regarding our gas, which unless our previous tenants are still unkowingly paying our gas bills must be left unpaid. Should I be actively finding the gas company responsible for the bills or playing ignorant to the fact we thought it was all through Scottish Hydro? Worried come this July, or even after we move out in June 2015 we'll be getting whacked with a monster bill.

Anyone been in this situation or have any advice?

You're unlikely to receive 'free' gas for evermore and when it comes to light whoever has been supplying the stuff will want paid for it.

The sensible thing to do is to flag it up to avoid problems paying a big bill later.

That said, I don't know how you go about finding out what company is providing the gas if you don't already know. Perhaps Scottish Gas as the company who physically supply the gas to your house have details of which utility company should be billing you for it?

You're unlikely to receive 'free' gas for evermore and when it comes to light whoever has been supplying the stuff will want paid for it.

The sensible thing to do is to flag it up to avoid problems paying a big bill later.

That said, I don't know how you go about finding out what company is providing the gas if you don't already know. Perhaps Scottish Gas as the company who physically supply the gas to your house have details of which utility company should be billing you for it?

I foresee massive hassles in your future. Happened at my old flat, fortunately the owner lived there but hadn't paid for gas for 2 years previous to me moving in. The bill was nearly three grand although I think most of that got forgiven as Scottish Power supplied both gas and electric but had done nothing about the gas bill.

I've got a similar question to the above re: 'free' gas.

My girlfriend moved in to the flat we now live in together back in September '12, with me moving in in June last year. Since she moved in, she swears she hasn't paid a penny for gas. We appear to have one of those pre-payment cards, but err, no meter to actually put it in. Now my girlfriend says she spoke to Scottish gas who supply us with our gas and electricity when she moved in, and was told she'd use this pre-payment card to pay for her gas, just as it is for the electricity. My girlfriend has the worst memory possible, and trying to get her to remember a conversation from 3 days ago is bad enough, let alone a conversation from about 18 months ago. But she says that they just stated repeatedly that she had a pre-payment card and was use that to pay for the gas. A woman who was with my girlfriend on the day she moved in acting on behalf of the landlord apparently rang SG as well, only to be told the same thing.

In my time living here, she's had a few letters from Scottish Gas with the usual offers, info on price increases etc, yet not a single bill. The closest thing to a bill was at the end of the year when she got a letter saying how much gas she'd used over a period of time - might have been the entire year, I can't recall. It stated that she'd used £0.00 worth of gas, which clearly isn't true. So they're aware she has an account with them, and they supply her with gas and electricity, yet she isn't being billed for it, nor has any way to pay for it in the way that she's been told.

Every time I see a Scottish Gas letter pop through the door I'm anticipating it being a massive bill. What's the best course of action here? Leave it and see what happens, or get her to give them a call? As nice as it's been not having to pay for gas, I'd rather we did instead of getting a hefty bill to pay at once.

Never just leave it, get in touch with them and continue to do so, in writing if possible. Keep a record of every letter and phone call.

Believe me, they will never just forget about it.