Quick Question Thread

Moved into my flat in Edinburgh about 7 months ago. My kitchen sink has stopped draining, all other drains are fine. I've taken the U-bend out and cleared the pipes that are actually in my flat but nothing. Who's responsible for pipes that aren't actually in my flat? Is this expensive to fix? Any advice?

Is it your flat or rental?

As a landlord I'm disappointed nae disgusted at the previous advice about just doing a runner.

Boot to the pie for being an absent minded bint would seem the most sensible suggestion imho.

I'm a landlord too, and if the notice period had been the standard one month, I'd agree pie-kicking and stern admonishment would be the order of the day. But even if she'd given notice on the day she handed in her notice at work, she'd still be forced to pay for another month's rent, council tax, bills etc. So as it stands, pie-kicking PLUS doing a runner seems to be the order of the day. 

Moved into my flat in Edinburgh about 7 months ago. My kitchen sink has stopped draining, all other drains are fine. I've taken the U-bend out and cleared the pipes that are actually in my flat but nothing. Who's responsible for pipes that aren't actually in my flat? Is this expensive to fix? Any advice?

Sounds like there's maybe an air lock somewhere down the waste.  Have you given it a good go with a plunger? (Matron).

You might need someone to help, but try to seal up the wee overflow drain at the top of the sink with a wet cloth and then go to town with a plunger.  If that doesn't work, you could try some hot water and caustic soda down the drain.  Failing that, get a man in.

Yeah central heating and all that is fine. I've smashed every chemical under the sun, used a plunger for ages but nowt has moved. Sod's law that I've waited to have a group of mates to my flat for the first time, shock horror it's this weekend as soon as this happens.

Yeah central heating and all that is fine. I've smashed every chemical under the sun, used a plunger for ages but nowt has moved. Sod's law that I've waited to have a group of mates to my flat for the first time, shock horror it's this weekend as soon as this happens.

Have you tried high strength sulphuric or hydrochloric acid? It's a bit dramatic, you should use rubber gloves and goggles and stand well back after pouring it, but it shifts just about anything.

Have you tried high strength sulphuric or hydrochloric acid? It's a bit dramatic, you should use rubber gloves and goggles and stand well back after pouring it, but it shifts just about anything.

I fucked up round about the plughole on the shower tray in our flat.  It was like watching Alien.

Would it not 'melt' the waste pipe?

Aye my dad snaffled some acid from his work last night. Still nothing. Think I'm gonna have to get someone in, but it's annoying because I don't think it'll be me that's caused this in my block of flats. The sink waste and the drain from the washing machine both connect to a vertical pipe which I'm guessing goes up and down the whole building, which is where the block is.

Aye my dad snaffled some acid from his work last night. Still nothing. Think I'm gonna have to get someone in, but it's annoying because I don't think it'll be me that's caused this in my block of flats. The sink waste and the drain from the washing machine both connect to a vertical pipe which I'm guessing goes up and down the whole building, which is where the block is.

That's a good start, at least.

Have you asked the neighbours above/below if they have a problem - try to identify the 'culprit'?

Have you asked the neighbours above/below if they have a problem - try to identify the 'culprit'?

I've asked below and he has no problems, but technically that flat isn't part of the building, his is the next number up and is a single flat, mines is a block with communal stairs. I've not asked above, but everytime I've asked the lass above anything about the building she's just gawked at me in confusion and shook her head.

I'm going with the big fat c**t downstairs that eats lard pieces for his breakfast.

Funny you should say that, the guy downstairs is absolutely fucking massive.

Once he gets his leg removed because of the diabeetus. And he stops clogging up Big Fifer's drains.

Fat c**t.

He might be a fat c**t but he's no drain blocker. He's eating the lard, not throwing it down Big Fifer's drains.