Quick Question Thread

Probably between £100-150 to fit it. Try to get the flooring where the edges are slightly grooved as I think it leaves a nicer finish and the joints look less obvious. Remember that you will need a moulding piece to go round the outside to cover the space that has to be left around the skirting to allow the laminate to expand and contract slightly.

If you have a bit of patience, it is not really that hard a job to do yourself.

Probably between £100-150 to fit it. Try to get the flooring where the edges are slightly grooved as I think it leaves a nicer finish and the joints look less obvious. Remember that you will need a moulding piece to go round the outside to cover the space that has to be left around the skirting to allow the laminate to expand and contract slightly.

Would you like to see some pictures of bridges?

Cheers mate, much appreciated. Would I not need circular saw to cut the laminate to fit? Wouldn't want shite edges going against each other.

I wouldn't be adverse to doing it myself, just don't think I would be allowed, would probably make an arse of it and if I'm only looking at £150 then may as well let a professional do it.

Cheers mate, much appreciated. Would I not need circular saw to cut the laminate to fit? Wouldn't want shite edges going against each other.

I wouldn't be adverse to doing it myself, just don't think I would be allowed, would probably make an arse of it and if I'm only looking at £150 then may as well let a professional do it.

The laminate has built in slots that click together. All you have to do is sort of clip the main boards together, cut the last board in the line to length with a hand saw. You use the end that has been cut off as the starting board to the next line of floorboards. Once you get into the hang of it then it can go down quite quickly. If you go into the likes of B&Q then you can have a look at the boards and you will see how they slot together, they might even have an instruction sheet on how to do it.

The laminate has built in slots that click together. All you have to do is sort of clip the main boards together, cut the last board in the line to length with a hand saw. You use the end that has been cut off as the starting board to the next line of floorboards. Once you get into the hang of it then it can go down quite quickly. If you go into the likes of B&Q then you can have a look at the boards and you will see how they slot together, they might even have an instruction sheet on how to do it.

Nice one mate, that doesn't sound too difficult, might have a look myself after all!

Putting laminate down is a piece of piss mate, crack on with it yourself.

You'll thank me when you're spending that £100-£150 on beer and ching!

I'll say a wee toast for you on my next big one mate!

Supermik, I've already got laminate down, is it advisable to put new "underlay" down for this stuff?

The underlay has to go down whenever you put down laminate flooring. It helps to even out the base floor underneath the laminate and it also helps deaden the sound a bit if its an upstairs floor.

edit. Just read your post again Adam. Are you going to put the new laminate on top of other laminate? Never done that before so not sure of best procedure. If it was me then i would probably lift the old stuff first then lay the new stuff on top of the existing underlay (if there is some).

Edited by supermik

The underlay has to go down whenever you put down laminate flooring. It helps to even out the base floor underneath the laminate and it also helps deaden the sound a bit if its an upstairs floor.

edit. Just read your post again Adam. Are you going to put the new laminate on top of other laminate? Never done that before so not sure of best procedure. If it was me then i would probably lift the old stuff first then lay the new stuff on top of the existing underlay (if there is some).

Was planning on lifting old stuff but know there is underlay underneath so was wondering if it was needed to put new stuff down.

Ok, when you lift old stuff, check how spongy the underlay is. If it is a bit tough or brittle then just change it.

in fact, just change the underlay. It's better to just start with a blank canvas, so to say

Ok, when you lift old stuff, check how spongy the underlay is. If it is a bit tough or brittle then just change it.

in fact, just change the underlay. It's better to just start with a blank canvas, so to say

He should just put the new laminate on top of the old stuff. That way you've less to go to the tip.