Quick Question Thread

4 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Wait, is 'kippers porridge' a thing? 🤔🤢

Clearly written by some deviant who calls lorne a square, so wouldn't surprise me.

PXL_20230727_1327126132.thumb.jpg.3ce7841512cc150a26b36f6dc7e6f1ba.jpg

30 years ago I'd never heard anyone in Angus call it Lorne. Your brain has been poisoned by west coast nonsense. 

5 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Pie inside a buttered morning roll... mmmmmmmmmm

I’d just settle for a morning roll! Croissants, baguettes, crème brûlée, sourdough loafs, all no f**ling problem as we have competent French bakeries all over. Hell, we’ve even got a decent German baker that does a mean rye and a good streusel, plus a good grocery bakery that make all sorts of breads and sweets…but simple morning rolls, not a single damn place around here!

6 minutes ago, TxRover said:

I’d just settle for a morning roll! Croissants, baguettes, crème brûlée, sourdough loafs, all no f**ling problem as we have competent French bakeries all over. Hell, we’ve even got a decent German baker that does a mean rye and a good streusel, plus a good grocery bakery that make all sorts of breads and sweets…but simple morning rolls, not a single damn place around here!

Simply move house. Problem solved.

21 hours ago, TxRover said:

I make my own. And my own pies. It's not the same, but it's as close as I'm going to get.

1 minute ago, TxRover said:

I tried a number of recipes, and got close, but not quite there. Are you perhaps close to Ackroyd’s in Redford?

https://ackroydsbakery.com

Yeah, it's not quite the same. I've had similar luck trying to make square sausage. I can get the smell about right but the colour and the texture is a million miles out.

I'm about an hour or so away from Ackroyd's and I've taken the trip through many times. Impossible to go in there and not spend over $100. They closed during the pandemic and have gone to 100% online orders now, which is a shame. Nearest to me after that is a wee British grocer in Essex, Ontario that's a couple of hours away and I'll probably hit this weekend. No rolls, but their pies are amazing (comparatively speaking). There's a new butcher must nearer to me and I've got them trying to source back bacon and bangers for me but I'm not holding my breath.

On 26/07/2023 at 23:35, Raidernation said:

Well it's my younger granddaughters birthday and mine as well, so.......?

Great.  Give Justin Trudeau a call, (you know, the Canadian Prime Minister) - it is his birthday too, as well as his brother.  You should get together, special occasion and all that.  You will have so much to talk about.

Just an idea.

4 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

To the P & B expats.

I plan to go to a bakery tomorrow. A real, Scottish one. Tell me what you would have, and live vicariously through me. 

Roll on square sausage? Scotch pie? Hit me with it.

If you wouldn't mind nipping to Aitken's the butcher in Alloa (if it's still there) and get a pound of special sliced and then get a couple of their sausage rolls from the baker secion. While you're there you might as well pop into Raad's for a donner. Cheers!

17 minutes ago, MSU said:

If you wouldn't mind nipping to Aitken's the butcher in Alloa (if it's still there) and get a pound of special sliced and then get a couple of their sausage rolls from the baker secion. While you're there you might as well pop into Raad's for a donner. Cheers!

Having grown up in Alloa, I'm happy to report that I'm visiting my mum there tomorrow (as I do every Saturday). Aitken's it is.

Raads has moved to new premises. Opposite the TSB. Used to frequent there on a weekend evening after drinking in Tree Tops. The best kebabs I ever had.

2 hours ago, MSU said:

Yeah, it's not quite the same. I've had similar luck trying to make square sausage. I can get the smell about right but the colour and the texture is a million miles out.

I'm about an hour or so away from Ackroyd's and I've taken the trip through many times. Impossible to go in there and not spend over $100. They closed during the pandemic and have gone to 100% online orders now, which is a shame. Nearest to me after that is a wee British grocer in Essex, Ontario that's a couple of hours away and I'll probably hit this weekend. No rolls, but their pies are amazing (comparatively speaking). There's a new butcher must nearer to me and I've got them trying to source back bacon and bangers for me but I'm not holding my breath.

Ontario seems a hotbed of Scottish bakery options. I ordered the frozen Ackroyd’s morning rolls and they, well, sucked. I ended up throwing 2/3 of the order out…but nothing ventured, nothing gained. Luckily I have a local British ship that’s willing to order stuff you’d like, but it’s slow shipment, so no bakery good imported. (https://www.british-emporium.com, Grapevine, TX, just north of DFW airport)

6 hours ago, scottsdad said:

To the P & B expats.

I plan to go to a bakery tomorrow. A real, Scottish one. Tell me what you would have, and live vicariously through me. 

Yeah a decent Scotch Pie would be perfect. I found a "Scottish" butchers in Sydney and tried their pies and black pudding but they just didn't quite taste the same.

7 hours ago, scottsdad said:

To the P & B expats.

Nothing from the baker but could you nip next door to the chipper and get me a white pudding supper? 

7 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Having grown up in Alloa, I'm happy to report that I'm visiting my mum there tomorrow (as I do every Saturday). Aitken's it is.

Raads has moved to new premises. Opposite the TSB. Used to frequent there on a weekend evening after drinking in Tree Tops. The best kebabs I ever had.

Now, it's out of your way a bit, but a chicken fried rice from Fung Yei on the Drip Road in the Rap Tap would be splendid also.  

13 hours ago, scottsdad said:

To the P & B expats.

You keep up with this patter and I'll hit you with a baseball bat