Quick Question Thread

Aye, perhaps. Not everyone of the 16,500 members post regulary. So JackDFC is the youngest active poster :P

Follwed by yourself and then me. (i think)

Am I the youngest active poster to join? :D

I was 11 and 7 months at the time. :P

What in the name of all things bright and beautiful is the "Harvard referencing system"?

I need to know this ASAP. An explanation would be nice.

It is basically a system that hates footnotes. It's moronic, but certainly the Politics department insist on it at Glasgow (the Law School use footnotes).

This may be of use:

Step-by-step guide to Harvard Referencing

Probably not a good answer but I think the Harvard thing is just the standard way that you reference other people's work in an academic essay. Can't remember how to do it though. You probably knew that already though.

Anyway, see all the laws in Britain, are they written down somewhere for people to consult, like all in the one wee handbook or something?

Anyway, see all the laws in Britain, are they written down somewhere for people to consult, like all in the one wee handbook or something?

Statute law is available at http://www.legislation.gov.uk/

This will not be of any use for common law, or for decisions of the various courts etc, or for reference works like the Stair Memorial encycopedia.

The closest that you will probably get to one source is Butterworths Lexis Nexis, who provide a online subsciption based service on most areas of UK law. http://www.lexisnexis.co.uk/our-solutions/

They are not cheap though...........

Statute law is available at http://www.legislation.gov.uk/

This will not be of any use for common law, or for decisions of the various courts etc, or for reference works like the Stair Memorial encycopedia.

The closest that you will probably get to one source is Butterworths Lexis Nexis, who provide a online subsciption based service on most areas of UK law. http://www.lexisnexis.co.uk/our-solutions/

They are not cheap though...........

Statutes are also not always terribly useful on their own, as they typically rely on extensive litigation arguing about what they actually mean.

LexisNexis/Westlaw are certainly comprehensive, but they're hardly a condensed "this is the law, end of".

Statutes are also not always terribly useful on their own, as they typically rely on extensive litigation arguing about what they actually mean.

LexisNexis/Westlaw are certainly comprehensive, but they're hardly a condensed "this is the law, end of".

The original question was "see all the laws in Britain, are they written down somewhere for people to consult, like all in the one wee handbook or something?" No-one asked "Is there a condensed 'this is the law, end of' book available?"

Practically all UK law, caselaw, commentary and other information required is available through Butterworths. That's why it's used by legal professional people to consult, all in one wee website (or something).

The original question was "see all the laws in Britain, are they written down somewhere for people to consult, like all in the one wee handbook or something?" No-one asked "Is there a condensed 'this is the law, end of' book available?"

Practically all UK law, caselaw, commentary and other information required is available through Butterworths. That's why it's used by legal professional people to consult, all in one wee website (or something).

"One wee handbook or something" doesn't infer "huge f**k off internet database with millions of separate documents".

Just saying likes.

Edited by Ad Lib

"One wee handbook or something" doesn't infer "huge f**k off internet database with millions of separate documents".

Just saying likes.

Are you seriously suggesting that the OP thought that "all the laws in Britain" would really fit into "one wee handbook"?

Or, perhaps, do you think that he was just being flippant as to the potential size of the volume required?

Just asking, like.

Ok, I was wondering if there was a place where you could sit and read all the laws. How are people meant to know what all the laws are then? I think they should all be written somewhere in a book, no matter how big or small it is.

Ok, I was wondering if there was a place where you could sit and read all the laws. How are people meant to know what all the laws are then? I think they should all be written somewhere in a book, no matter how big or small it is.

Unfortunately, Stuart, if it was as simple as you suggest, there wouldn't be any rich legal professionals.

The cynical amongst us might suggest that it was in the legal profession's interest to make law as ambiguous and complex as possible.

In addition, as Ad Lib suggests, there is a huge body of law. From memory, the paper version of Butterworths Law of Food & Drugs used to run to 7 volumes, all around 12 centimetres (5 inches) thick, The law of food and drugs is one tiny area of the law as a whole.

The legislation covering UK Tax law encompasses 7 volumes, with a combined thickness of over a foot, and that's using paper that's almost tracing paper it's that thin. And on top of that you have things like Double Taxation Treaties and other such documents which actually explain how the damned thing works, given how unintelligible the statutes are!

The legislation covering UK Tax law encompasses 7 volumes, with a combined thickness of over a foot, and that's using paper that's almost tracing paper it's that thin. And on top of that you have things like Double Taxation Treaties and other such documents which actually explain how the damned thing works, given how unintelligible the statutes are!

will it be in waterstones?

will it be in waterstones?

I don't know. The RRP for the complete tax law collection is £210 and they're re-issued annually. I got my set through the School of Law at Glasgow for a student price of £70. They come in two large boxes that are pretty damned heavy!