Throw The Book At Him

From the Beeb

Beckham admits deliberate booking

David Beckham has admitted deliberately getting booked against Wales in order to get his suspension out of the way.

England's captain, who was a yellow card away from a one-game ban, said he knew he had broken ribs in an earlier tackle and would be out for a month.

"It was deliberate," he told The Daily Telegraph. "I knew I will be out for a few weeks, so I thought 'Let's get the yellow card out of the way'.

Fifa said it would take no action until it received an official complaint.

A Fifa spokesman said it did not comment on reported statements in the media, and would have to be informed formally, such as from an association, to look into the matter.

Beckham added: "I'm sure some people think that I have not got the brains to be that clever.

"But I do have the brains. I could feel the injury. So I fouled (Ben) Thatcher."

It was in a clash with Thatcher that Beckham broke his ribs, and he earned the booking for a retaliatory challenge on the Wales left-back.

The Real Madrid midfielder was unhappy at the widespread criticism over his spat with Manchester City defender Thatcher.

He believed it took the shine off his part in Saturday's 2-0 win at Old Trafford, in which he scored a spectacular long-range goal.

"It's frustrating," he said. "Saturday was a positive game for me, and I scored one of my best goals ever.

"But some of the headlines were 'Great goal but yellow card again'. People pick up on the negatives and that's sad. Some people have other agendas.

"I'm sorry I am not going to Azerbaijan... I wished the [England] players luck - it's a tough place to go. But we have the team to do well there."

He added that he would not be attempting too swift a return from his latest injury, especially after his experiences at Manchester United where he suffered the same injury.

"There is no treatment. I can't go running or training because it hurts too much," he said.

"The last time I broke my ribs, (United manager) Alex Ferguson put me on a bike after two weeks and I couldn't do it. I couldn't breathe. There is nothing you can do apart from rest.

"I heard Madrid want me training by Wednesday but that is not possible.

"I will be out for four to five weeks. I just want to get back playing, to get Real back up the table.

"I would love to play in England's friendly against Spain but I will struggle to make it."

Beckham's place in England's starting line-up in Azerbaijan is expected to go to Owen Hargreaves, with striker Michael Owen set to captain the side.

Surely this is a clear case of bringing the game into disrepute. <_<

And how daft is he for admitting it anyway. :blink:

What a fud :lol::lol:

Beckham added: "I'm sure some people think that I have not got the brains to be that clever.

"But I do have the brains. I could feel the injury. So I fouled (Ben) Thatcher."

Aye, and you have the brains to come out and admit it in the national press ya thick fucker!!

I used to think Beckham was unfairly criticised for being a thicko. Not any more!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Sorry, I'm going to have to stick up for Beckham, who I've got a lot of time for. I think what he did was pretty canny, and he's only being honest. He'd get stick if he didn't admit it, so he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. As is always the case with Beckham.

Thatcher's first foul was pretty nasty I thought, it was pretty funny when Beckham took him out.

Sorry, I'm going to have to stick up for Beckham, who I've got a lot of time for. I think what he did was pretty canny, and he's only being honest. He'd get stick if he didn't admit it, so he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. As is always the case with Beckham.

Thatcher's first foul was pretty nasty I thought, it was pretty funny when Beckham took him out.

Doesn't matter what you think Jim as the boy Beckham is in breach of Fifa regulations - against the rules to get intentionally booked. Hard to prove for the most part but they thicko has admiited it.. Now he's admitted it, FIFA will have to ban him for another game.

He could be looking at a three game ban for bringing the game into disripute allegedly. If he had done this intentionally then he really should have kept it to himself or at worst, the rest of the England team/managment.

This story should have been kept under wraps and I can't believe this has come out. I wonder if the FA will have anything to say?

Absolute w**k. Reason he knew he would not play in the next game so he'll get his suspension out of the way. But is it not a honour to play for your country . Fit enough to play against Wales at the end after he picked up the rib injury but can't play against Azerbaiijan. :blink:

I'm taking it as a given that no-one is stupid/naive enough to believe that this has never happened before.

There's almost no way of proving that a player has deliberately got himself booked so he can serve his suspension against a diddy team......... UNLESS THE FANNY COMES OUTS AND ADMITS IT IN THE PRESS.

Beckham should be given a three-game ban for just being a complete and utter idiot.

This reminds me about the time that twins playing for the same team in South America (can't remember which country) managed to con a ref. One of them had already been booked and was due to be booked again but his twin brother took the rap for the second offence. They were getting away with it until they started boasting about in the press, and subsequently got a three match ban each.

Absolute w**k. Reason he knew he would not play in the next game so he'll get his suspension out of the way. But is it not a honour to play for your country . Fit enough to play against Wales at the end after he picked up the rib injury but can't play against Azerbaiijan. :blink:

Erm, he was substituted against Wales... and he's fractured a rib in case you haven't noticed and will be out for a month.

For christ sakes, why let the facts get in the way of another Anti-Beckham diatribe. :rolleyes:

Thatcher went in to hurt him in the first place, if you take off your blinkers, and broke Beckham's rib. Beckham realised he'd have to come off, so got his own back on the loutish Thatcher (who has remained strangely silent on the matter...) knowing he'd get booked and miss an easy game.

That's smart, not dumb. Personally, I think Thatcher should get a three game ban.

I'm taking it as a given that no-one is stupid/naive enough to believe that this has never happened before.

There's almost no way of proving that a player has deliberately got himself booked so he can serve his suspension against a diddy team......... UNLESS THE FANNY COMES OUTS AND ADMITS IT IN THE PRESS.

Beckham should be given a three-game ban for just being a complete and utter idiot.

exactly - he's boasting about how smart he is but just showing us all how much of a stupid tit he is.

Yup, get the suspension out the way, that's real clever Davie, but for fuxake, dont tell everyone!?!? :rolleyes:

Moron !! ;)

....by the way, i've only just realised that this forum exists! :huh:

Yeah jim it is pretty smart of him to do it, id do the same thing, as has been said it is illegal, and he has came out and admitted he did that, which shows he shares his 1 brain cell with his wife, who had it for the day. I havent seen any of the tackles, but if he had came out and said im sorry was a stupid tackle to make, was just upset with the injury, didnt want to hurt him just foul him, then nothing else can be done *he already got booked for the tackle* However he will probably get charged with bringing the game into disrepute now, and get the 1 game ban for the first game hes back injured. *something i think should happen anyway, if you are injured for a suspension, you arent being suspended??? Itll be against another crap team anyway.

I'm sure this is common practice, but to come out and say you've done it is colossally stupid. If this is a breach of the rules, I trust a ban will be in the works.

Of course it's common practice. However, so is diving, and hair pulling when supposedly patting someone on the head. No-one comes out and admits it though.

Interesting comments from lothario Sven on the radio, "It happens all the time, but let me get Wednesday out of the way and then I will deal with it."

Methinks Sven will be taking action of his own. ;)

Not the biggest fan of Beckham but cant fault him for getting booked. Infact, i think it was a great idea. The fault was he admitted it. Once again the media go way over the top, as they do with everything involving England

Archived