The New Raith Rovers Thread

Dont get the concern what these clubs could potentially earn.Well done and good luck to them

No concern on United receiving or to receive 600k payment on the back of the erse cheeks reaching the group stages of chumps league last season?

51 minutes ago, Rovers_Lad said:

Dont get the concern what these clubs could potentially earn.Well done and good luck to them

No concern on United receiving or to receive 600k payment on the back of the erse cheeks reaching the group stages of chumps league last season?

Of course there’s concern, but this was an observation that half the teams in the Championship will get a financial boost that the Rovers are missing, which might influence the last 10 days of the window.

5 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Of course there’s concern, but this was an observation that half the teams in the Championship will get a financial boost that the Rovers are missing, which might influence the last 10 days of the window.

But we’re the Fife Gretna? What’s the problem? 🤣 We take the 19.5k prize money and move on! 

Look we are generally shite in the Scottish Cup, every 50 years or so we might get to semi final.

It's just not meant to be.  We can look in a forlorn way at what might have been been,  who we might have played and what it means financially but so fucking what.

As they say if your aunty had baws. 

Edited by pub car king

3 hours ago, TxRover said:

If Partick win it, they don't get the payday from Livi, but they'll be assured over £100k when kicked out...and probably a big payday next round. That stings. Also, ICT, Morton and Airdrie all likely to get decent gates, with Morton having a decent chance to advance.

Inverness v Hibs and Morton v Motherwell are unlikely to draw bigger gates than the 5 and a bit thousand that watched us at East End in the previous round.

Edited by Specky Ginger

1 hour ago, Specky Ginger said:

Inverness v Hibs and Morton v Motherwell are unlikely to draw bigger gates than the 5 and a bit thousand that watched us at East End in the previous round.

Agree...but it's another decent sized gate and an extra £30K+ for each...and that jumps to another £60k plus on top of that plus another good gate if they advance. Its just poor timing as the window is closing, they are all looking at a little extra cash. And lets not kid ourselves, Morton and ICT are looking for CB's right now...maybe Airdrie too. Meanwhile, Ayr and Arbroath are looking down the barrel of relegation and need CB's as well. If and when we have Watson and Murray back, any loanee we had is likely behind them, so I'm just concerned we don't have a good position to get the CB we need. Having said that, would we now be surprised if Dick gets moved into CB because we found a LB to borrow? I don't think Millen at CB would work nearly as well, so a RB seems less likely.

After listening to the Barrowman interview again, I was looking at the Railway Stand pictures, and it's just too steep, and too stepped, to easily become safe standing...but the SM Lighting Stand could be converted literally overnight by just bolting rail seats on the face below where the current plastic seats are. It doesn't solve the remoteness from the South Stand issue though. I know some fans favor moving home fans to the North Stand, but that leaves the Main Stand and Hospitality literally on top of the visitors in the South Stand. It will be interesting to see what they can get away with given the proximity to the tracks, but what they;ve managed so far has been pretty brilliant, so we can hope.

18 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

The Hammer 🔨 to step up again?

A nickname less befitting a player it would be difficult to imagine. He DOES have a shot on him but we don't see it enough. 

Jorg Albertz properly went by the same nickname but he was melting them in left, right and centre from all areas and situations. Gullan, not so much.

A glass hammer.

7 hours ago, TxRover said:

After listening to the Barrowman interview again, I was looking at the Railway Stand pictures, and it's just too steep, and too stepped, to easily become safe standing...but the SM Lighting Stand could be converted literally overnight by just bolting rail seats on the face below where the current plastic seats are. It doesn't solve the remoteness from the South Stand issue though. I know some fans favor moving home fans to the North Stand, but that leaves the Main Stand and Hospitality literally on top of the visitors in the South Stand. It will be interesting to see what they can get away with given the proximity to the tracks, but what they;ve managed so far has been pretty brilliant, so we can hope.

Prior to last summer I'd have written off the railway stand, but given the progress the current board have made then I've absolutely no doubt they'll be looking at every avenue they can to try to get some changes made. No idea what it will entail, but I'm confident they'll have a plan.

My god reading the last few pages on here would be enough to make anyone depressed.

We put up a good showing against a team who've been in the premiership for a good few years now.  They're used to coming up against fr better players than we have so they were always going to have chances and they took them.

We created plenty of good chances and absolutely should've taken some of them.  However, I'd be way more concerned if we weren't making the chances in the first place.

We're in a bad run of form but that was always going to happen.  We have some very good attacking players for this level and I have no doubt they'll start hitting form again soon.  

I came out of almondvale on Saturday feeling confident that we would beat Livvy over 2 legs if we end up playing them in the playoff and I still feel that way.  

This weekend is a perfect opportunity for us to get back on track against another team who have been on a poor run of form (they may have some confidence after Saturday but it was only Broomhill).

27 minutes ago, AllanJM said:

My god reading the last few pages on here would be enough to make anyone depressed.

We put up a good showing against a team who've been in the premiership for a good few years now.  They're used to coming up against fr better players than we have so they were always going to have chances and they took them.

We created plenty of good chances and absolutely should've taken some of them.  However, I'd be way more concerned if we weren't making the chances in the first place.

We're in a bad run of form but that was always going to happen.  We have some very good attacking players for this level and I have no doubt they'll start hitting form again soon.  

I came out of almondvale on Saturday feeling confident that we would beat Livvy over 2 legs if we end up playing them in the playoff and I still feel that way.  

This weekend is a perfect opportunity for us to get back on track against another team who have been on a poor run of form (they may have some confidence after Saturday but it was only Broomhill).

I hear what you are saying and very glad of our league position  but if you go back a few games, we were terrible in the 4 all draw against Ayr, opened up so easily with some direct running and massive holes across the park. We weren't any better against Arbroath. We played against a team with no centre backs and a goalkeeper as a striker.

I wasn't at the Airdrie game so can't comment on that defeat but QP we weren't great. We then go into a game against a team that's not won since October with no centre halfs, managers choice as we had 3 on the bench. That's a game IMO we should be winning just like PT dome against RC and Airdrie done against St Johnstone. All 3 Premiership teams are poor this season. 

We've seen for weeks where our weaknesses are in fact the cup game against the Pars at thr start of the season showed where our weaknesses were as they had spells where they ran straight through the middle of us. We also fail to stop crosses and pay the penalty every week. We can't keep a clean sheet and yet we go I to a cup game with not a recognised CH on the park. 

There has been a lot of talk about our defensive issues and a few complaints about Scott Brown playing there ahead of ‘proper’ centre backs so I thought I’d have a look at the figures between each players appearances at centre back. This is only games they have started as a centre back so doesn’t include any last 5 minutes where Brown may have been midfield but then dropped into a 3 or anything like that.

Euan Murray -  GA every 71 minutes.

Dan O’Reilly - GA every 70 minutes.

Keith Watson - GA every 70 minutes.

Scott Brown - GA every 74 minutes.

Dylan Corr - GA every 65 minutes.

Couple of things to note are before Murray’s injury which I believe he took into the Partick game and he has been struggling with since, he was averaging a goal against every 93 minutes, it has been every 44 minutes since.

Likewise Scott Brown, after the game against Ayr, many of us said it was time to end the experiment of midfielders in defence but before that game he had only conceded a goal against every 110 minutes. Not much in it but he remains our best ‘centre back’ for goals conceded per minute. 

The main point for me looking through that though, is that it doesn’t really matter who we play as centre back, we concede a goal every 65-74 minutes. It’s remarkably consistent across 5 different players.

That to me suggests it isn’t just a problem in the centre of the defence but something the whole team needs to resolve, whether that be getting better at stopping the crosses at source or the centre of midfield providing more protection as well as just our general preference to attack and perhaps needing to seek a better overall balance going forward.

There is a problem in defence as fullbacks don't stop enough crosses and our main CB pairing are injured. The problem for me though is the holes further up the pitch. At times we are too open and teams rub through us. This isn't helped with playing at times a front 5. Easton won't track back, Vaughan is similar. I wouldn't expect Hamilton to track back as he needs to be an outlet. We miss Stanton as he is box to box. Byrne is a nice tidy midfielder but can lack the aggression sometime you need to break up play. 

We need to find a formation that allows us to win the battle in midfield but still have flair players to be creative. 

Look how far we have come being all disappointed going out the cup even though it’s Livingston and they are bottom of the premiership they are still a premier league club , Rovers were the only ones playing football it was us that took the game to Livingston , Short memories some fans have Mcglynn would be 5 at the back and 1 up top 

Regarding  the defence do you really think Murray would risk a half fit or nearly full fit  Watson and Murray on an artificial pitch in basically a one off game and risk them missing the rest of the season if they breakdown again really ? I wouldnt be surprised if both or at least one of them are back for the caley game , Maybe the biggest issue is up front we had plenty of chances to win on Saturday and against Arbroath and Ayr but as usual tippy tappy passing in stead of taking a touch and putting there laces through it , Vaughan had 2 /3 good chances yet passed the ball that ain’t like him

The result of the Livi match was frustrating, but I thought the performance was fine. We must have had at least half a dozen clear openings where we either took the wrong option or missed a good chance. It was the best I've seen us look since we played United.

Based on that, and the Partick and Airdrie results, I don't see much for any of the 3 clubs to be scared about in the play offs.

What I will say is that I thought Dabrowski still looked a bit away from being fully fit and shouldn't have been playing.