The New Raith Rovers Thread

Archie Campbell turned down a deal with Raith with more dollar to sign on again at Cappielow. :D

Good re-signing for you, but tbh I would be amazed if we were offering more money than Morton

Archie Campbell turned down a deal with Raith with more dollar to sign on again at Cappielow. :D

Source?

I'd be massively surprised if we were offering more money for anyone than most of the division, let alone Morton. Half our squad is part time for fucksakes.

Source?

I'd be massively surprised if we were offering more money for anyone than most of the division, let alone Morton. Half our squad is part time for fucksakes.

I thought this too.

However, the Greenock Telegraph,which is the paper with this news story, have stated that Campbell has turned down a "more lucrative offer" from Raith Rovers to stay with the club. Either Rovers were willing to offer him a pretty impressive wage, or Morton aren't offering him all that much, reiterating the fact that we are cutting back each year.

Source?

In today's Greenock Telegraph. You can view it online but cant read the full article unless you are subscribed. We are cutting back a fair bit this season.

Source?

It's in our local rag, however as they charge foe viewing their online content, I can only copy the opening paragraph.

"STRIKER Archie Campbell has snubbed a more lucrative contract offer from Raith Rovers to stay with Morton, the Tele can reveal."

I suppose that could mean that you offerred a longer deal than we did, as you did when you signed Brian Graham a couple of summers ago.

It's in our local rag, however as they charge foe viewing their online content, I can only copy the opening paragraph.

"STRIKER Archie Campbell has snubbed a more lucrative contract offer from Raith Rovers to stay with Morton, the Tele can reveal."

I suppose that could mean that you offerred a longer deal than we did, as you did when you signed Brian Graham a couple of summers ago.

I think you may have hit it nail on the head there. I automatically assumed it must have been to do with money, but this is also very likely.

Would have been a very decent signing if we had got him but there are plenty more players out there.

Reading between the lines, providing its all true, I think it shows we could be targeting top 4 and the playoffs, if they are voted in. I dont see us offering lucrative deals to a very good 1st division striker with the aim of avoiding relegation again.

Think it made more sense in my head.

Maybe so.

It coudl be that Murray is trying to cut back where he can in the rest of the Rovers team in order to secure a couple of bigger signings. We've freed up one full time wage from Joe Hammill and part time wages for Malone and S.Anderson so far, replacing them with guys from the youth team as well as holding back on offering Clarke (previously full time) and obviously about to lose Graham.

That's assuming the rest of our current squad signs on. The fact that Murray looks to be making a serious attempt to hold on to Joe Cardle could suggest that we are trying to bring in an extra bit of quality to the side, and Campbell would've fit the bill.

However, the fact that Morton are holding most of last year's squad together, then that is surely attractive to campbell. We were midtable mediocrity, and are probably holding out for that again this year. So it's little wonde rthat campbell would stay put.

I think this shows Campbell's commitment to Morton in abundance, as he is from Fife and all his family are from the area. Would love to see the wee man rekindle the form he had at the start of the season - he was absolutely tremendous for the first 11 games of the season.

Edit: Campbell was, in actual fact, offered more money from Raith. He was not offered a two year deal.

Edited by forzamorton

Id like to see a source on that as I would think we are cutting our budget again this year

How much money was Hammill actually on?????

To be fair, of the three strikers from last season, Graham is going and we have only put a concrete offer on the table to Spence. Graham, bare in mind, was signed two years ago, and would've been on a higher pay scale (signed before the last rounds of budget cuts) as well (same with Hammill).

You can't blame him for wanting to stay where he is, a young guy with not to many things to tie him down I'd guess, his career isn't all about money yet, and Morton, based on last year's finish offer a better chance of him making the step up to the SPL than we currently do.

On the other hand, when you look at the fact that Murray has made offers to Archie campbell, Liam Fox and Joe cardle, you have to be slightly cheered at the quality of the targets so far, even if he has missed out this time.

How much money was Hammill actually on?????

To be fair, of the three strikers from last season, Graham is going and we have only put a concrete offer on the table to Spence. Graham, bare in mind, was signed two years ago, and would've been on a higher pay scale (signed before the last rounds of budget cuts) as well (same with Hammill).

You can't blame him for wanting to stay where he is, a young guy with not to many things to tie him down I'd guess, his career isn't all about money yet, and Morton, based on last year's finish offer a better chance of him making the step up to the SPL than we currently do.

On the other hand, when you look at the fact that Murray has made offers to Archie campbell, Liam Fox and Joe cardle, you have to be slightly cheered at the quality of the targets so far, even if he has missed out this time.

Yeah I was kind of basing on the fact we have offers in for Fox and Cardle which Id assume are decent wages. That said if we get at least 1 of these players I would be happy providing we can keep a majority of the guys we have offered contracts to. Probably look at getting another midfielder and striker on loan

Yeah I was kind of basing on the fact we have offers in for Fox and Cardle which Id assume are decent wages. That said if we get at least 1 of these players I would be happy providing we can keep a majority of the guys we have offered contracts to. Probably look at getting another midfielder and striker on loan

if we got Fox and Cardle, or two equivalent type players we'd still be shy of two strikers, cover for the full back and a centre half.