Who's Going To Uni?

I think you'll find that the bulk of folk that wear leavers hoodies, and Law Society HOODIES are from state schools anyway.

Obviously the state schoolers are despartate to impress their new faux-riche, uber pretentious classmates with their shiny new Law Society blazers.

"Two glasses of Real Ale pleaase, barman!"

"Any ID?"

"No, but as you can see, barman, I'm a member of the Law Society"

Well, I do consider myself a fashion icon.

And I don't actually have any better to do, maybe I'm a little jealous that they still hold their school identity whereas I have totally relinquished mine.

Ha, I'll let you off then Supras.

I've completely relinquished my school identity too.

For what it's worth, most of my mates have bought a University hoodie, and I noticed one of the girls cutting about in a leavers hoodie the other day as well. They're all sound enough people.

Admittedly, I haven't seen anyone with a Law Society one, so I can't comment on the good guy:w**k ratio.

For what it's worth, most of my mates have bought a University hoodie, and I noticed one of the girls cutting about in a leavers hoodie the other day as well. They're all sound enough people.

Admittedly, I haven't seen anyone with a Law Society one, so I can't comment on the good guy:w**k ratio.

There are quite a few w**kers on the law course, who as you can expect are so far up their own arses its unreal.

Luckily most of them have no social life, and spend all their hours in the library, and so don't bother the Law Society with their presence.

Anyone you do see wondering around in a Law Society hoodie will be a first year though. That's fairly normal.

Anyone kicking around Glasgow Uni is most welcome at the next Law Society event (lawyer or not) and hopefully that will clear away any misconceptions.

We booked Radio on Ashton Lane, and the place was rammed full.

OMG!!! HES SO ZANY!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!

People who wear university hoodies or school leavers hoodies are twats. FACT.

No offence.

Don't worry. I took no offence, because I personally don't wear them. I still don't see what the problem is though. Please explain.

When I was at Uni, a Cheese and Wine night was actually a 12 hour bender with no cheese or wine in sight.

I do however agree with the general consensus that Exuberant is Glasgow Uni personified :lol:

Was it the Chemistry bit of Strathclyde that hosted them?

I can just imagine the slogan on the Law Society hoodie...

"If you can read this, you're standing too close and hence violating my right to 1.5 square metres of space as defined under the Human Rights Act"

:lol:

I'm in GUSSC (the ski club) and am a pretty active member going on both overseas trips last year. It's a fantastic social club, and I've met so many folk through it.

I'm also on the committee for the Law Society, so I know exactly how much money both clubs spent on their relevant events.

The Law Society one was exclusively for first years and funded by the Law School itself. I personally bought 80 bottles from the cash and carry for it. Which equated to roughly half a bottle for each person attending.

The ski club one was for all years, and was a much bigger event, with more people attending. They had 100 bottles of wine, which meant each person got less than folk did that attended the Law one.

I know cheese and wine sounds gay. But it's a traditional Glasgow Uni event and most clubs and societies have one. It's essentially just a piss up with minimal cheese kicking about.

You're not that nutter that got on the bus at Murano Street (despite not living there, must have been recruiting for GUSSC) that was heading to the GUU the weekend before freshers and starting raving gleefully about the cut up boys and then told us enthusiastically about the glory that was the GUSSC's cheese and wine night are you?

If you're not, you'll probably know exactly who I'm talking about :lol:

Anyway, my tuppence for the poshness argument. I spent the first 10 years of my life in North Lanarkshire. Thats the "all Glasgow uni people are posh" argument scuppered :P There are also plenty of sound guys/girls wearing society/uni hoodies - I just personally don't like those particular clothing items, and wouldn't choose to wear one.

Anyway - Beer bar meeting, I will be about next week from Tuesday (maybe earlier) so I'm up for a pint or 5, especially since I will be lecture-less B)

You're not that nutter that got on the bus at Murano Street (despite not living there, must have been recruiting for GUSSC) that was heading to the GUU the weekend before freshers and starting raving gleefully about the cut up boys and then told us enthusiastically about the glory that was the GUSSC's cheese and wine night are you?

Not me, but if you gave me five guesses I'd get there. GUSSC is utter class though. Definitely worth going along to a social, or if you can stretch to it a full ski trip.

There are also plenty of sound guys/girls wearing society/uni hoodies - I just personally don't like those particular clothing items, and wouldn't choose to wear one.

I'm in the same boat. I can see why people think its pretentious/posh or whatever to wear one, but if you're just wearing it around uni I can't see the problem. And to say that anyone who wears one is a twat is just total ignorance.

Anyway - Beer bar meeting, I will be about next week from Tuesday (maybe earlier) so I'm up for a pint or 5, especially since I will be lecture-less B)

I'd be keen for that sometime, but can't make it on Tuesday, got St. Johnstone v Dundee United to deal with.

And finally comiserations to Exuberant who failed to get a position on the Law Society Committee as a first year rep. A hot girl got it instead. I wonder why.

I have a name. :(

Sincere apologies. I had a bout of "P&B sort of remember the first bit of his username but not the whole bit, so rather than go to the effort of finding out the name itself, I'll just use something that uniquely identifies him from what others have said on the forum" disorder.

Dun... dun... dun... SAMARAS!

Anyone kicking around Glasgow Uni is most welcome at the next Law Society event (lawyer or not) and hopefully that will clear away any misconceptions.

Really, I know quite a few people from the law society I could be that weird guy who tags along.

Right. Beer Bar. How is next Wednesday evening?

Yeah I could make that, any time after 5 would be fine as I'll probably go to Badminton 3-5.

It was never. Until some clueless fannies started slagging off Glasgow University, and in particular the Law Society.

When clearly you and several others have actually no idea what the Law Society does.

I'm a law student so I know what a law society does. Its pretty irrelevant what it does because the point still stands that someone who wears a law society hoodie is very very likely to be a knob.

There is a pathetic element to it where people will smugly think how good they are to be a law student at a good university, they will deny it, but I know it is true since all the people who wear lawsoc hoodies about are exactly the type who are like that.

Why would anyone wear a lawsoc hoodie when they could wear any other type of hoodie?

I'm a law student so I know what a law society does.

But every Law society is different depending on which uni you go to. Just like every student union is different and every sports association is different. Out of interest where do you study?

Its pretty irrelevant what it does because the point still stands that someone who wears a law society hoodie is very very likely to be a knob.

We'll just have to disagree on that one. The fact that the Law society is widely recognised as one of the biggest and best clubs at Glasgow Uni makes a difference. The social side to it is fantastic, and this year all the nights out have been awesome. If like at some uni's the Law society was shite, then no one would wear the hoodie.

There is a pathetic element to it where people will smugly think how good they are to be a law student at a good university, they will deny it, but I know it is true since all the people who wear lawsoc hoodies about are exactly the type who are like that.

I'm the exact opposite of that. I only ever wear my Law hoodie at actual Law society events, you'll very rarely see me wearing it around uni, and never if I was going anywhere else. I personally am in the position that when most people who aren't at uni ask me what I study I say something rather than law because I feel slightly uncomfortable about it. Smugness? I think not.

Why would anyone wear a lawsoc hoodie when they could wear any other type of hoodie?

Why would anyone wear a blue t-shirt when they could wear a green one. It's a petty petty point you're trying to make.