Who's Going To Uni?

Couldn't think of anywhere to put this, so might as well drop it in here. Does Computing now come under as a science? Someone told me it is now starting in August but I was pretty sceptical of it. Anyone here know?

I doubt it.

"A science" tends to mean Physics, Chemistry or Biology.

Edited by The Master

Couldn't think of anywhere to put this, so might as well drop it in here. Does Computing now come under as a science? Someone told me it is now starting in August but I was pretty sceptical of it. Anyone here know?
I doubt it.

"A science" tends to mean Physics, Chemistry or Biology.

My degree was in Computing Science.

Also, for the limited syllabus that HW offers, we have a very good engineering department at least on a par with Edinburgh - if not better in some select areas, such as our high voltage lab, our MEMS clean room and our extensive laser facilities.

I went to an open day at HW once, and I have this to say:

THEY HAVE A FUCKING TESLA COIL!!! :wub:

I liked it when you were speaking all hoity toity, not swearing like a plebian oik.

Please continue the snobbery.

Cheers,

Your ally,

Andy.

I liked it when you were speaking all hoity toity, not swearing like a plebian oik.

Please continue the snobbery.

Cheers,

Your ally,

Andy.

Oh cripes, one is right!

Most humble apologies my good chap, one just got rather enthused by the notion of tesla coils.

Someone once described to me the universities in Scotland in the metaphor of the Scottish Leagues - as follows...

SPL: Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen (top six); St Andrews, Dundee, Stirling (bottom six)

First Division: Heriot-Watt, Robert Gordon, Strathclyde

Second Division: Paisley, Glasgow Caledonian, Napier

Third Division: Abertay, Queen Margaret, UHI

I'd be bit dubious about some (top six v bottom six especially; and Paisley and Napier above QMU) but at heart OK.

you've got to be kidding......

You can't rate Uni's like this anyway, some may be amazing in say mechanical engineering but absolutely pathetic at English, so you have to base it on a course to course basis.....

You can't rate Uni's like this anyway, some may be amazing in say mechanical engineering but absolutely pathetic at English, so you have to base it on a course to course basis.....

HibeeJibee needs to organise and classify everything, and then put it in any form of pyramid system. It's an obsession.

Edited by vikingTON

And my degree was a BSc in Applied Computing. But that's completely irrelevant.

You have completely mis-understood his question.

Aye, I meant if Computing Studies (I think that's what it's called - I'm currently taking Higher) comes under the 'Science' bit for unis when applying like Chemistry, Physics and Biology are.

Isn't that just a degree in Word and Excel? Final exam, create an awesome Powerpoint!

Is Computing Science a science? Yes it is.

Edited, you're right, I didn't realise it was in the context of school. Dunno then. I'm sure The Master will be able to whip you up a nice excel graph to prove it though.

Edited by Lord Xbass of Lichtie

....And then some. One of my old lecturers built a scaled down EM rail gun. He caused a wee bit of a ramy when he shot an aluminium dart through two doors and into a wall.

In a very strict sense I'd say it's a form of engineering, but then engineering in all it's forms are cross discipliniary applied science, so you can class it as such I'd think.

Edited by renton

He's got it roughly right. Universities outside of the Traditional ones do occasionally out-perform in specific subjects (Law at Strathclyde, Engineering at H-W, Computer Games Development at Abertay) but as a general rule, the older Universities are stronger across the board.

He's got it roughly right. Universities outside of the Traditional ones do occasionally out-perform in specific subjects (Law at Strathclyde, Engineering at H-W, Computer Games Development at Abertay) but as a general rule, the older Universities are stronger across the board.

But then a general rule is totally pointless given that a person will be doing a specific degree and thus will be picking the university that heads that particular league table.

Edited by renton

And within the subject, the particular areas of interest and teaching strength that correlate. As much as Ancient History at Edinburgh might well have been fun I'll stick to the Spanish Inquisition and regular Richard, thanks.

But then a general rule is totally pointless given that a person will be doing a specific degree and thus will be picking the university that heads that particular league table.

You're buying into a University culture though. Aberdeen and Edinburgh rank higher than Glasgow for Law. I could have got into any of the three but I chose Glasgow because I preferred the place and the institution. It's a package deal.

Hello. I want to do something to do with gaming at Uni next year, so I'm researching my options. I know Abertay is the best, but I've just been looking at Glasgow Caley's site and they offer a Games Design course too. So I was wondering if anyone who goes to Caley knows how good it is etc, as i haven't had a look around yet.

Cheers.