Who's Going To Uni?

Nice one. You were events management eh? So fits with the degree?

The first means that I met my offer to do an MSc in Maths and the Foundations of Computer Science, so very excited for that. Will be awesome not to have to deal with stats, differential equations etc ever again.

No, I studied Management, but it's closely linked really. I'm setting up a hub for innovative students to use in order for them to enhance their business model.

Can anyone who has done 2 years college and then 2 at uni in an engineering capacity shed light as to how hard the step up is and what the work load is like when you get into 3rd year at uni and how much guidance you get throughout??

College i found good in my first year and i tried hard, a lot of my fellow students harp on about how hard uni is going to be but coming up to the business end of the year most those people fell short on assignments and seemed to not bother so i would imagine thats why they think uni would be so hard.

Probably depends on what uni you go to. At Edinburgh Uni first and second year of engineering courses are pretty easy (obviously still harder and more workload than most other courses though) except for the maths courses whilst third year is a massive step up. Pretty sure Edinburgh only offer 2nd year entry though and there seemed to only be 2/3 people in my class that entered at this stage.

If you've been full-time at college for a few years then you might actually find it easy to carry that work-ethic and momentum into uni. To be honest, I've got no idea though.

I found it quite interesting that the boys entering at 3rd year from college knew a shit load more about the subject than those, like me who had coasted through 2 years doing very little in all honesty.

Doesn't take a genius to work out that your workload is more than people on other courses.

So you have absolutely zero frame of reference for your comment?

Do you guys get told this in an early lecture or something? Every single person I know who did engineering had the same chip on their shoulder about it.

So you have absolutely zero frame of reference for your comment?

Do you guys get told this in an early lecture or something? Every single person I know who did engineering had the same chip on their shoulder about it.

There's no chip on my shoulder; you won't catch me moaning about it and I hate it when folk try to belittle other degrees or anything like that. It's just blatantly obvious though, don't know why some other's have a problem with it.

I'm sure most would happily confirm that medics have to work harder than them, why then do they have a problem engineers working harder than them? Maybe it's simply due to an image problem surrounding engineering in general.

It's just blatantly obvious though, don't know why some other's have a problem with it.

If it's "blatantly obvious" you'll presumably be able to provide a plethora of evidence in support of it, no?

If it's "blatantly obvious" you'll presumably be able to provide a plethora of evidence in support of it, no?

:rolleyes:

It will be Heriot Watt i will be aiming for - Napier will be a fall back!! Edinburgh Uni sounds like its full of c***s!

Good choice. With hindsight I wish I'd went to Heriot Watt.

There's no chip on my shoulder; you won't catch me moaning about it and I hate it when folk try to belittle other degrees or anything like that. It's just blatantly obvious though, don't know why some other's have a problem with it.

You're putting other degrees down by saying you're having to work harder than people, with absolutely no evidence either way. How do you define working hard btw?

I'm sure most would happily confirm that medics have to work harder than them, why then do they have a problem engineers working harder than them? Maybe it's simply due to an image problem surrounding engineering in general.

I have absolutely no idea how hard "medics" (quite a varied group as with any degree discipline I'm sure you'd agree) work. Neither do you.

Edinburgh Uni sounds like its full of c***s!

Nothing like making a sweeping generalisation about an entire university.

Those bitching about their workload really need to man up, I found university very easy to manage - although I'm sure there will be very contrasting experiences across my course - but on the whole it is a lot less intensive than working.

I was always bemused by people, doing the exact same thing as me, who got extremely stressed out about university. You have classes about 8 hours a week, and have months to do your assignments, it's a pretty decent life for anyone with a semblance of organisation.

If you think engineering degrees are too much work, you best stay far away from being an engineer in Oil and Gas...

Anyone on here went into Uni (1st year) via the HNC route? i have highers but i wouldn't stand a decent chance of getting into most places, would a HNC backed up with highers give me a good chance of getting into Uni? (Heriot Watt is where i want to go btw)

A few guys on my course had the grades to get into first year uni but decided to go to college, 2 of them were wanting to go into 1st year of uni after they spent the year getting an HNC which was a bit of a waste of a year IMO. The 2 of them didn't get the graded unit results they needed as well so couldn't get into uni that way anyway. I can only really say that the college will help you get through your year or your 2 years and give you a lot more help than you would get at uni so you get your hand held through it somewhat so it will probably ease you into uni life but if you get good grades in your year doing an HNC your as well trying to aim for 2nd year entry to uni as you will probably feel that you have wasted a year! Just my opinion though

Aye that's what i've been thinking, a couple of guys i know done 2 years at college then the final two years at Uni, it's just the step up that worries me. What college do you go to?

On moving from college to uni, the staff here have said that in their experience the incoming college students are in 2 groups. Half have a good work ethic and get on with it and often outperform the students who were here for years 1 and 2. The other half find reasons not to come in, for instance we have students who come from a Glasgow college and for many coming to Edinburgh for a lecture is deemed a waste of time. These folk find the transition hard.

Next year is a massive year for me. I'm currently sitting on a first (I think, not sure how my study abroad grades in second semester will be converted), and so I just need to pick some decent courses next year and do a good dissertation and I should make it. I wouldn't be too bothered with a 2:1 though, I probably deserve it given how utterly shite my GPA is after first and second year.