Who's Going To Uni?

What about in terms of new things being taught? What would the probability be in new methods, new legislation and new ideas being taught to students, essentially "freshening up" the subject? If I applied for a job 1-2 years after I got a degree, would I be at a disadvantage to these students? Or is this scenario incredibly unlikely/irrelevant?

No, in short. Legislation changes all the time, that doesn;t mean that your degree is any less valid to an employer. A degree is a sign that you have a fundamental understanding of the subject area and you can keep yourself up to date with developments

Doing the reading through the year is absolutely the right way to go, if you have the time to do it.

Problem for me at the moment is having 4 modules, 3 of which have coursework hand ins that are basically unrelated to the lecture material, thus the coursework is taking priority and meaning that lecture/tutorial type reading is currently being patched.

Suppose there are a few variables. For example everyone here seems to have coursework due just before the mid-semester break in October so tutors tend to go a bit easier on you in class around this time, which makes it difficult to justify doing absolutely no reading when you're given a few concessions and don't actually need to do that much.

Started my MSc in Maths and the Foundations of Computer Science in Oxford two weeks ago, and oh my god some of the people. You think Edinburgh and Glasgow and the like are bad for poshos. You know nothing. There's a boy in one of my tutorials with a quadruple barreled surname. Folk cutting about in 3 piece suits to lectures and that. Utter insanity on a daily basis.

^ Oxbridge w**k

and another group that is actively soul destroying. It's sometimes just so clear that they haven't done the reading.

But not even to have read even the material facts of the case referred to in literally the first question of the tutorial is plainly disrespectful to me, to the others in the class who have, and is blatantly attempting to leech off others' hard work. It's not acceptable and whether or not I'm being paid is entirely besides the point. This lot are second years now. They know the score.

#LADs

Partick Monkeys, I believe. honestrae95 will also be playing. No idea if we'll be any good - I haven't met half the team yet.

It's really poorly advertised, and trying to actually organise a team is a pain in the arse. Glasgow's timetabling makes it pretty difficult to find a time when everyone can play, especially when everyone's taking different subjects, and just getting to Garscube seems like it'll be a pain in itself given its location and the lack of transport options from uni.

You weren't playing against the team of girls were you? They looked woeful. Our opponents weren't much better to be honest.

You weren't playing against the team of girls were you? They looked woeful. Our opponents weren't much better to be honest.

I didn't play today due to illness, but I'm pretty sure we weren't playing girls. I'm told we lost 6-3, so if that was your scoreline then my team was probably the dross you were up against. What's your team name?

I didn't play today due to illness, but I'm pretty sure we weren't playing girls. I'm told we lost 6-3, so if that was your scoreline then my team was probably the dross you were up against. What's your team name?

Nah I don't think so mate. Unless your team is made up exclusively of people from China. :lol:

I actually just remembered one of them was wearing a Ben Sherman tank top on top of a smart shirt. Bizarre.

Edited by Bonksy+HisChristianParade

Filling out bits of my UCAS application at the moment, pretty much have my sights set on doing Social Science at Napier next year assuming I get a B or better in my HNC Social Science. Was originally planning on doing something history/politics related but the course seems really broad and interesting and with the amount of modules, you can essentially tailor it to what you might want to do in the future which I like. Also the thought of 2nd year entry appeals to me.

Not got a clue about my other 4 choices though!

Just found out that the Aldi graduate scheme has a starting salary of £41,000 rising to £67,750 after four years. You also get a fully expensed Audi A4 from day 1 and private healthcare.

Seriously considering it.

A friend of a friend did this and quit after a few months. It was horrific, apparently.

I believe it's to be an area manager.

I know a guy that applied for a graduate position within Morrisons when we were at university. The starting salary was pretty good, think it was about £28k.

There were nine stages between applying for the job and getting an offer.

I could not be arsed whatsoever applying for a job like this. Imagine the utter wankers you would come up against should you get to the assessment centre stage.

I've applied for 2 graduate jobs thus far. Been rejected by both, but I don't give a f**k as they both looked pretty shite. Heard hunners of folk raving about this Aldi graduate position, I'd imagine applicant number would be unreal. Just bought myself an absolute fanny magnet of an SXi as well, so not interested in this Audi. Kinda pisses me off when History/science/engineering students go on about applying for business related grad schemes. I've been studying a business related course since 2011, maybe you should've too, stop increasing employment competition in my field ya dicks.

Anyway, did a presentation on sectarianism in Scotland as part of my Social Marketing module this morning. Managed 74%, but the real highlight was my ability to drop in the phrases 'up to our knees in Catholic blood' and somehow managed to sneak 'no pyro no party' in there too. Really pleased with that patter.