Who's Going To Uni?

Submitted a portfolio today via Turnitin (2000 word essay and 1000 word report). The actual content of the essay and report came back with a 3% plagiarism score, but the cover sheet, plagiarism sheet and every single one of my references flagged up, making the score over 20%. Emailed the module leader to make her aware of the problem, basically to ensure that I didn't get penalised because of it.

Got an email back saying that it hadn't happened to others, so the fault was basically my own. How the f**k can I be at fault for using the correct referencing style required and by using the official cover and plagiarism sheets provided by her?!

Absolutely raging if this fucks me up.

Submitted a portfolio today via Turnitin (2000 word essay and 1000 word report). The actual content of the essay and report came back with a 3% plagiarism score, but the cover sheet, plagiarism sheet and every single one of my references flagged up, making the score over 20%. Emailed the module leader to make her aware of the problem, basically to ensure that I didn't get penalised because of it.

Got an email back saying that it hadn't happened to others, so the fault was basically my own. How the f**k can I be at fault for using the correct referencing style required and by using the official cover and plagiarism sheets provided by her?!

Sounds like you're in a lot of trouble to me, mate.

Just gotta hope you don't get kicked off your course now.

Sounds like you're in a lot of trouble to me, mate.

Just gotta hope you don't get kicked off your course now.

Sarcastic comments aside, someone did actually lose marks as a result of their high percentage of plagiarism in the first assignment for this module, even though her Turnitin score was only 4% for a 1000 word essay, with her cover page, plagiarism sheet and references taking her up to 24%.

Turnitin was designed to stop students buying essays online and submitting them. And for that purpose maybe it works. However, beyond that it is a complete joke and I'd be horrified if I was penalised because a system that is clearly complete bullshit gives some made up score. I got 4% or something for the essay I submitted today, couldn't give a shit. Although three of that percent came from a blog I didn't read.

Why do you have to include the cover and plagerism sheet in the upload anyway? My draft was maybe 5% or something because I included the cover sheet (which had the question on it) so I didn't include it in the final submission.

Turnitin was designed to stop students buying essays online and submitting them. And for that purpose maybe it works. However, beyond that it is a complete joke and I'd be horrified if I was penalised because a system that is clearly complete bullshit gives some made up score. I got 4% or something for the essay I submitted today, couldn't give a shit. Although three of that percent came from a blog I didn't read.

Why do you have to include the cover and plagerism sheet in the upload anyway? My draft was maybe 5% or something because I included the cover sheet (which had the question on it) so I didn't include it in the final submission.

For this particular module we don't submit a hard copy of the portfolio, it's all done via Turnitin, such is the need for the two official papers at the start of the document. Thankfully we hand hard copies in for the other two modules so don't need to include the papers at the beginning of those that go to Turnitin.

You're completely right though, it is an utter pile of shite.

When I was at Uni, the main sport for students seemed to be Rugby, not just for playing but watching too. Football was very rarely mentioned! This always surprised me, is this still the case today? Or is it even a case?

When I was at Uni, the main sport for students seemed to be Rugby, not just for playing but watching too. Football was very rarely mentioned! This always surprised me, is this still the case today? Or is it even a case?

Depends who you hang about with really, my friends are mostly all pro-football but you do see a lot more groups when out in clubs that are rugby players, dressed in all the same attire. There are quite a lot of Irish at Dundee as well and they seem to be more interested in rugby. Personally I just think it's because folk think lassies love beefcakes strutting about the nightclubs thinking they're the dugs baws...

At Edinburgh definitely, main for the fact it's a suburb of Cambridge, you get a lot of Irish folk as well as the Unay!!!! folk. If I'm not mistaken I think the rugby club are banned from having socials at quite a few nightclubs because they have a tendency to smash the place up. Their initiations sound horrific.

Irish students and rugby playing students are the two biggest groups of sleazy, aggressive wankers going. The Irish come over here with their dodgy passports to get them free education and basically just go out and try to shag all of our women, whilst leaving with a 2:2 in sports and excercise. Get them to f**k.

Irish students and rugby playing students are the two biggest groups of sleazy, aggressive wankers going. The Irish come over here with their dodgy passports to get them free education and basically just go out and try to shag all of our women, whilst leaving with a 2:2 in sports and excercise. Get them to f**k.

The Irish folk I've met have been quite nice. It's some of the ex Edinburgh private school folk (Watsons, Stu-Mel and Heriots are the ones I seem to encouter more) that are the worst, slimy anti social fannies with their shitey chants just to try and make up for the fact that their parents don't love them. I don't mind other ex private school folk outside of Edinburgh but there must be something in the water that makes them bawbags.

So after a little over three years, I submitted my PhD thesis on Tuesday.

I'm now in this sort of post-submission, pre-viva purgatory and keep thinking of sections that might have something wrong with them :ph34r: But I take heart from the stats - at Dundee Uni, 90%+ of theses that are submitted pass with minor corrections and only around 1% need a revise and resubmit or fail outright And even then, the vast majority of those were submitted without supervisor consent.

It would be good, though, to know what the line between minor and major corrections is. So far, anything I've spotted can go down in the typo column, except maybe an incomplete reference (I didn't list the editors of the book, although I did in another reference to another paper in said book).