Who's Going To Uni?

Just don't expect others to pay for it, no matter what the student and/or graduate's status, either.

Primary and secondary education are completely essential for someone to function in wider society. The government makes full time education, training or development compulsory up to the age of 16 in Scotland and soon up to 18 in England for exactly that reason. Tertiary education is not absolutely necessary for that, is not functionally made available to all on the same basis (Universities and Colleges are, uh, selective) and only benefit specifically those who go to them. Under your proposal it is the default position that successful people who did not benefit from tertiary education subsidise those who do benefit from such an education irrespective of whether or not those graduates are capable of paying for that service for themselves once they are earning.

By all means, create facilities to make University access independent of the ability to contribute up-front capital, through a student loans system or similar, but when people are earning and able, they should pay back into the University system, not only because they have benefited more than the average taxpayer on the same amount who didn't go, but also because that money can then be reinvested in scholarships and bursaries to lessen the burden of up-front living costs that are what actually deter the economically disadvantaged from University.

Yawn: you were better when you were pretending to be a nationalist, this material's dated.

A friend of mine wrote his entire personal statement based around how much he wanted to be a teacher, the skills he had that were relevant, all that sort of stuff. He applied for 3 primary teaching courses and was rejected from them all, yet got unconditional offers for the other two he applied for which were both psychology.

My personal statement focused entirely on why I wanted to study law. My first three acceptances were for Chemistry and Maths, History and Politics, and Maths and Politics.

A friend of mine wrote his entire personal statement based around how much he wanted to be a teacher, the skills he had that were relevant, all that sort of stuff. He applied for 3 primary teaching courses and was rejected from them all, yet got unconditional offers for the other two he applied for which were both psychology.

Nothing says 'confidence in your ability' as a teacher like sticking two psychology courses on your application as a fall-back.

I'd hate to see my old personal statement. I recently found my first CV I wrote when I graduated and it was just two pages of cringe.

I've left this a tad late, but does anyone have any recommendations for personal statements?

I co wrote mine with a teacher in 35 minutes on deadline day in January. Had a typo in first line.

Got in.

If you'd listened to my teachers, you'd have thought you'd be raking bins for the rest of your life if you f***ed up your personal statement.

"I'm better than anyone else because I was a prefect and was in Scouts for 5 years which taught me responsibility and means I'm amazing with people. Pick me."

I've left this a tad late, but does anyone have any recommendations for personal statements?

I wrote two sentences about engineering at the end of my statement, and got an unconditional offer for engineering. They don't matter unless you are doing Medicine.

Or teaching.

Edited by AberDon

I wrote about wanting to go to Russia because of all the culture and shit.

I have absolutely no idea why. I don't know why I thought it would help, as it certainly wasn't relevant, and to the best of my knowledge, it's never been true either.

A joint degree in the arts and sewage management?

Edited by Granny Danger

My teachers put a lot of emphasis on the importance of a Personal Statement and so do the Universities when they come to my school to speak to us. Obviously if you're sitting there with 5 A's in your 1st sitting then you've got an unconditional regardless of how good your Personal Statement is. Although if your grades are borderline (like myself) then a good Statement can really give you an advantage, I would like to think.

My UCAS referee said my Statement was 'perfect', so here's hoping I get in. Then again, she's absolutely useless so I'm not confident.

I'm fucking raging at the tutor I had for International Business. The woman has gone and given everyone in the class a 2B for presentation and a 2C for discussion. EVERYONE. Some of my pals in other tutorials are walking away with 1Bs and I've looked over the stuff they have covered and it's very similar to what we done in our tutorial. The tutor obviously just couldn't be arsed to properly assess what we've done so gave everyone a pretty average mark to save the trouble. Not happy in the slightest.

Edited by Coooombe

Having openly accessible tertiary education is obviously to the benefit of society and the economy and allows people to fulfil their potential without having to shit themselves about the financial implications. Maybe the bar for funding should be set higher (ie. someone with BCC doing fashion management at Caley can get tae), but the idea of not funding it at all... I can't see how that wouldn't screw things up a bit.

Anyway, I've just realised that being 4th year - if I'm going to do anything else next year I need to get applying soon! Was thinking about doing a composition masters, since I've enjoyed composing and I'm pretty good at it - but then I remembered that would involve entering the self absorbed culture of the contemporary classical composer, something which truly would be vacuous and frustrating. That' before you consider the non-existent job prospects - there might be one full time composer in Scotland. ONE.

I think I'd be far happier teaching.

Edited by Mushroom

RE: Personal statements, I don't think they really matter at all. We were told that it was the be all and end all, but every single person I went to college with (I'm a direct entry student) got their first choice, and having read through some of the efforts put forward I was pretty surprised.

My question. How long would you take to plan and complete a report? I have two due in three weeks (3500 words and 5000 words) and I have barely scratched the surface with either.

See I've always heard the opposite - that a good personal statement is very important which would make sense seen as so many people are getting similarly high grades that they need something to distinguish them

There probably is a grain of truth in there somewhere, but as mentioned, if you're sitting on 5 A's, you'll get in. The personal statement will only be considered if it comes down to a judgement call between getting in or not. For example If you're marginally above or below the course requirements, along with a dozen other people, with half a dozen places left.

Certainly in my experience, outside of the big courses like Law, Medicine, Dentistry, Life Sciences and a collection of the design courses, given how many places go to clearing, I'd be surprised if personal statements are regularly looked at.

Edited by thisGRAEME