Who's Going To Uni?

Suddenly realised how much coursework I've got this year. Esspecially since I have only just gotten a 3000 word report on a building which has been/conserved, including drawings. A massive economics coursework and then a schedule planning question which I only started to get taught today in my lectures. Going to be a hectic 6 or so weeks.

Idolising lecturers is a Stathy thing IMO. The one thing I've noticed is that they must be an absolute nightmare to manage given most of them are middle aged man with an inflated ego who do whatever the f**k they want.

I'm in first year doing business, economics and psychology and tbh I'm starting to feel like going to the lectures for business and psychology are pointless, like I'm better just reading the books because the lectures focus on tiny sections and are pretty poor?

Economics lectures are worthwhile.

Business, erm, no. I could have told you that in week one. I think it's a multiple choice exam and everything.

He's not even the best Politics lecturer in Strathclyde. It's all about Russell Ong.

I've got him for Chinese Politics. His enthusiasm and exam advice is first class.

Russell Ong's use of finger-pointing during tutorials could strike the fear of God into Swampy himself.

Finished my leadership essay earlier, sent it off to a couple of folk to proof read so have made one or two amendments, waiting on another academic to get back to me to see if there is perhaps anything else that needs changing.

I can't quite believe how difficult it has been to write 1000 words. I would have preferred that it was a 2000/3000 word essay, as I had quite a lot of decent references and statistics to back up the argument/counter argument, but just couldn't fit them in anywhere, so went for what I felt were the most relevant.

Submitted it to Turnitin earlier to get my provisional score (as this is our first assignment we are allowed to submit it as many times as we want). I got a 0% score, meaning that everything I had produced was my own, which is virtually impossible. Not to mention that I had one direct quote in my essay from a book, so not entirely sure what is going on there.

Hope you got your essay finished in time Mikey!

Doing my dissertation on religion as an obstacle to a peaceful solution to the Israel-Palestine conflict - hard as f**k finding material from Fatah that isn't being presented through Israeli media putting their slant on it, while pretty much everything from the Israeli government and Hamas is extremist nonsense entirely dismissing the other side's view. I expected this of course, but still annoying.

• 2 weeks later...

"THE READER has already met a variety of learning situations 'drawn together by a common set of ideas about what makes for effective learning. In this chapter we turn directly to these ideas and to the theoretical sources by which they are informed. Of these we focus on two: first, the Piagetian influence, and second, the influence of computational theory and artificial intelligence. I have previously spoken of "Piagetian learning," the natural, spontaneous learning of people in interaction with their environment, and contrasted it with the curriculum-driven learning characteristic of traditional schools. But Piaget's contribution to my work has been much deeper, more theoretical and philosophical. In this chapter I will present a Piaget very different from the one most people have come to expect. There will be no talk of stages, no emphasis on what children at certain ages can or cannot learn to do. Rather I shall be concerned with Piaget the epistemologist, as his ideas have contributed toward the knowledge-based theory of learning that I have been describing, a theory that does not divorce the study of how mathematics is learned from the study of mathematics itself."

The opening paragraph of one of the chapters I'm to do for some collaborative book review.

wat

This is in Computer Science of all courses. what the f**k is a book review doing showing it's face in computer science? Away and take yer puss for a shite.

Russell Ong's use of finger-pointing during tutorials could strike the fear of God into Swampy himself.

I did like the fact in our tutorials that he picked one person and the rest, generally, got off without having to answer much. Still pretty terrifying mind.

Our talisman figure in History at Dundee is Chris Storrs. A man that managed to coerce two Biology students that had turned up to the wrong lecture hall into staying for a full hour and 10 minutes discussion on Charles V's reign as Holy Roman Emperor. I genuinely believe if it wasn't five weeks into the course they would've transferred there and then.

I'm sure the lassie in front of me in my law lecture today was on P&B while I was.. erm.. on P&B

What uni? I get bored all the time in uni and go online. I am in 4th year at Edinburgh doing law.

Edited by kara_hibee

I must not make Jimmy Savile jokes while teaching my tutorial class.

:ph34r:

:ph34r:

A tutor of mine who shall remain nameless spontaneously went off on a tangent from law-related issues to idolising Nigella Lawson.

A tutor of mine who shall remain nameless spontaneously went off on a tangent from law-related issues to idolising Nigella Lawson.

I dread the day someone who has survived one of my tutorials joins p&b. That would be the end of my teaching career! :lol: