Who's Going To Uni?

They're a bit shit tbh, but I've yet to find a nice halls of all the ones I've visited. Standard halls.

Halls are just a place to rest your head at night after being at lectures, doing a bit of study in the library and going to the pub.

See, I always thought that too. Then last week I ended up at Pollock Halls at Edinburgh Uni. I've never seen anything like it. They have lifts and shit! The main complaint from one girl I spoke to was "our en-suites are quite small". I shared a toilet with 17 other people hen, I'm sure you'll survive.

Whilst an excellent book hoarder myself the university has a most unpleasant requesting system that all too easily dashes my hopes.

Ridiculously busy at the moment and it's only the second day dry.gif

See, I always thought that too. Then last week I ended up at Pollock Halls at Edinburgh Uni. I've never seen anything like it. They have lifts and shit! The main complaint from one girl I spoke to was "our en-suites are quite small". I shared a toilet with 17 other people hen, I'm sure you'll survive.

Fancy halls are shite. They all end up coming to the scabby ones for good times/to get pumped.

Peterson halls were the most dangerous, weird and fun place I've ever lived by miles.

Fancy halls are shite. They all end up coming to the scabby ones for good times/to get pumped.

Spot on. We had posh Pollock birds lining up to sleep in our shitey halls rather than stay at theirs all year.

My sister's moved into halls in Edinburgh (can't remember which ones but they're self-catered). She's hating the fact that her flatmates are smoking weed in the kitchen. Fair enough if it's in their own rooms, then it's their problem, but smoking around where food is being stored/prepared is bang out of order.

Glad I never went into halls. I value my personal space too much.

I love laughing at folk that are utterly appalled at the state of student halls. What the hell are they expecting? laugh.gif

Uni is the last socially acceptable time to act like a fucking twat whilst at the same time time gaining a possibly valuable education. Most importantly, you meet the mates that you'll have for the rest of your life.

My sister's moved into halls in Edinburgh (can't remember which ones but they're self-catered). She's hating the fact that her flatmates are smoking weed in the kitchen. Fair enough if it's in their own rooms, then it's their problem, but smoking around where food is being stored/prepared is bang out of order.

I think what she really needs is a giant 'deal with it' gif.

Edited by vikingTON

I think what she really needs is a giant 'deal with it' gif.

On the contrary, I think her flatmates need to stop being such inconsiderate twats. How would you like it if you were trying to prepare your dinner and the whole room was reeking with people smoking right beside it? You wouldn't accept a chef smoking in a restaurant. You wouldn't accept someone walking up to your table in a restaurant (pre-smoking ban) and just lighting up all over your food. Why should you put up with it in the communal kitchen of your halls of residence?

What they do in their own rooms or outside is their own business. When they make it impossible to cook hygienically in a communal area they've crossed a line.

On the contrary, I think her flatmates need to stop being such inconsiderate twats. How would you like it if you were trying to prepare your dinner and the whole room was reeking with people smoking right beside it? You wouldn't accept a chef smoking in a restaurant. You wouldn't accept someone walking up to your table in a restaurant (pre-smoking ban) and just lighting up all over your food. Why should you put up with it in the communal kitchen of your halls of residence?

What they do in their own rooms or outside is their own business. When they make it impossible to cook hygienically in a communal area they've crossed a line.

She could, you know, ask them not to do it.

They could agree a rule that if anyone's smoking in the kitchen, they have to roll one for anyone who comes in to cook. Success all round.

I'm with Ad Lib on this one. Smoking in a communal area is bad enough when there are non-smokers sharing the same space. Doing it in a kitchen? You've got to be a right w****r to think that's alright, whatever the substance. Have a bit of consideration and take it elsewhere.

Then I'm sure she will follow in the family tradition of strongly advising them not to do so. I don't really care tbh.

She could, you know, ask them not to do it.

She has to live with them for a year. Is it really fair that she, the law abiding, lease complying one minding their own business has to risk getting pelters and inevitably get given shite for being a prude etc? Surely you can see the dilemma here. Not everyone relishes confrontation like that. If it was me, I probably would confront them about it, but you can see why others wouldn't.

She has to live with them for a year. Is it really fair that she, the law abiding, lease complying one minding their own business has to risk getting pelters and inevitably get given shite for being a prude etc? Surely you can see the dilemma here. Not everyone relishes confrontation like that. If it was me, I probably would confront them about it, but you can see why others wouldn't.

Unless you can think of a way of informing flatmates that their habits are objectionable, without them knowing who it is, tough luck.

They're not psychic.

For gods sake, she's a girl, there is a really obvious solution.

1. Find one of the other flatmates who doesn't do it (surely not everyone does).

2. If none exists, pick the most sympathetic one

3. Get on his side, explain why she doesn't like it, but why she doesn't want to come across as a prude

4. Once there are two of them, she can either get him to confront them, or confront as a team.

Why be direct when the traditional white man's game of divide and rule can get the job done. Girls in particular are excellent at that.

I can see the dilemma, but it would be seriously poor form on their part if they took offence to her having a quiet word and saying that she doesn't really like the thought of them smoking anything, let alone dope, in the area that she will be cooking. If they take the piss or anything, tell her to report them.

Going in all guns blazing will annoy folk, regardless if they are in the wrong or not. Having a quiet word however, should have the desired effect.

Other than that, swap their grass with basil or something like that.

For gods sake, she's a girl, there is a really obvious solution.

1. Find one of the other flatmates who doesn't do it (surely not everyone does).

2. If none exists, pick the most sympathetic one

3. Get on his side, explain why she doesn't like it, but why she doesn't want to come across as a prude

4. Once there are two of them, she can either get him to confront them, or confront as a team.

Why be direct when the traditional white man's game of divide and rule can get the job done. Girls in particular are excellent at that.

1. As far as I can tell from what she's said, she's the only one who wants no part in it (I think the others all know each other from before)

2. Can't comment

3. I think they're all girls. You know what women are like. Backstabbing b*****ds.

4. See 3

I can see the dilemma, but it would be seriously poor form on their part if they took offence to her having a quiet word and saying that she doesn't really like the thought of them smoking anything, let alone dope, in the area that she will be cooking. If they take the piss or anything, tell her to report them.

Going in all guns blazing will annoy folk, regardless if they are in the wrong or not. Having a quiet word however, should have the desired effect.

Other than that, swap their grass with basil or something like that.

I think she's hoping the cleaners pick up on the smell and report it. I told her that was probably optimistic.