Who's Going To Uni?

Go to Glasgow. Going to an institution that isn't as good due to the potential of arseholes being there too is flawed logic. There are arseholes on every course in the world, and at least two in every one of your tutorials, regardless of where you go.

Glasgow snobs have something to be snobby about. Strathclyde Techers, on the other hand...

I was seriously considering an engineering place there too! Only thing that stopped was because you had to choose the full electrical / civil or mechanical engineering programme from the start and Aberdeen did a common course for more breadth over years 1 & 2 before letting you focus.

There are arseholes on every course in the world, and at least two in every one of your tutorials, regardless of where you go.

I concur! It's usually over first and second year though when you end up with folk in your class that are only there for the credits and have absolutely no interest whatsoever.

Edited by Hedgecutter

Yeah I was hoping VT would maybe explain what career path he was looking to go down because I just couldn't really see where a history would lead tbh.

Also to add my point to the argument over unis on this page, I chose Glasgow over Strathy, Edinburgh etc because the West End is IMO a much nicer place to live than where Strathy Halls were as well as the prestige that a degree from Glasgow carries.

What kind of career does a history degree lead into?

My mate did a history degree at Glasgow about twenty years ago he got a first. He has never had a proper job since then. Although he inherited about six million quid so he doesn't give a f**k.

Just found out I've been selected for the Edinburgh Uni University Challenge team :lol:

Fucks sake lol

Good effort. I do love a bit of University Challenge, albeit my knowledge isn't wide spread enough to be good enough for it. If the right things come up though and I'm all over it usually.

Yeah I was hoping VT would maybe explain what career path he was looking to go down because I just couldn't really see where a history would lead tbh.

Maybe he just wanted to do history and found it interesting? To use an example, HB has said that he works in IT (IIRC), but has a law degree. People don't HAVE to be limited to history related jobs because they did a history degree. Uni should be learning more about something you find interesting, not a job shop.

Also to add my point to the argument over unis on this page, I chose Glasgow over Strathy, Edinburgh etc because the West End is IMO a much nicer place to live than where Strathy Halls were as well as the prestige that a degree from Glasgow carries.

The past, mostly.

Maybe he just wanted to do history and found it interesting? To use an example, HB has said that he works in IT (IIRC), but has a law degree. People don't HAVE to be limited to history related jobs because they did a history degree. Uni should be learning more about something you find interesting, not a job shop.

You don't need to get a History degree to "learn about something you find interesting". You certainly don't need the taxpayer to foot the bill.

You don't need to get a History degree to "learn about something you find interesting". You certainly don't need the taxpayer to foot the bill.

Oh go away. Don't you have some Lib Dem figures to be fiddling?

Edited to add, this is the short version of a discussion about how knowledge shouldn't cost, the benefits of higher education to society in general, and also the development of transferable skills Oh, and how we shouldn't be charging again for education. But I'm having a busy day! :P

Edited by xbl

Yup. Loads of people in my year at Uni did all sorts of things when we graduated.

Accountancy, Actuarial Maths, IT, Consultancy for example.

As long as you are bright, a degree like Law will always open doors. Even from Strathclyde.

Just found out I've been selected for the Edinburgh Uni University Challenge team :lol:

Fucks sake lol

Absolute VL IMO.

I was there. People were queueing for the lift. laugh.gif

I was down the stairs eating my lunch. Had to go outside holding a lunchbox. It's fucking impossible to look cool in front of the numerous good looking girls in the Edinburgh University library with a plastic lunchbox containing a single bar of dairy milk under your arm. Thankfully I met my mate outside or I'd have been standing there by myself for the 25 minutes which would've made it even worse.

Hell yes. This.

I wish I had been told this when I went to uni. I've finally gone back to do a masters, and it's bugger all to do with my job prospects, it's because I'm really interested in what I'm studying.

No, because I'm not here to defend everything the Lib Dems say or do. Unlike you and Salmond ;)

Edited to add, this is the short version of a discussion about how knowledge shouldn't cost, the benefits of higher education to society in general, and also the development of transferable skills Oh, and how we shouldn't be charging again for education. But I'm having a busy day! :P

Knowledge doesn't cost; teaching facilities and supplementary support do.

Bread helps society in general, but the state doesn't hand that out to the kids of millionaires.

Transferable skills can be acquired by a great number of means other than University.

Oh and we charge for education in every other optional sphere of education already, so why shouldn't we with University. Music lessons, tutors, summer schools, professional development courses (paid by employer to supplier), Rosetta Stone CDs: university education is no different on principle or in practice.

Be less busy.

I must admit, I always wanted to do geology but my careers dept at school in the Central Belt told me that the pay was shite and jobs were sparse, hence I decided to go for option two and that was engineering (see story on previous page I can't be arsed saying again). Anyway, during my first year in Aberdeen, I realised that seeing as the whole oil industry is in the business of understanding and producing from rocks, there were actually a shitload of related (and rather well payed) jobs to be had and I quickly tried to jump ship, eventually starting Geology in second year after a lot of arm-twisting over first year prerequisites etc.

All in all, I wouldn't have done my first choice subject had there not been a decent job at the end of it which could pay back all the loans etc. Those that go into uni because they don't know what else to do, expecting the taxpayers to fund it need a bit of a slap imo, that and that Central Belt understanding of the hydrocarbon industry is shite.

Edited by Hedgecutter

Maybe he just wanted to do history and found it interesting? To use an example, HB has said that he works in IT (IIRC), but has a law degree. People don't HAVE to be limited to history related jobs because they did a history degree. Uni should be learning more

about something you find interesting, not a job shop.

That's fair enough doing something you enjoy. I just know someone who got an Honours history degree from Strathclyde because he enjoyed it but can't get a job anywhere and has no idea what the degree is actually useful for in helping him get a job.