Who's Going To Uni?

Hoping to do a degree in Financial Services in a couple off year at somewhere like Napier, anyone know if 5 highers will make the cut?

A friend of mine got an unconditional offer from Heriot Watt with 5 Bs. For accountancy.

I'm sure 5 huggers would be good enough for Napier.

Edited by AberDon

A friend of mine got an unconditional offer from Heriot Watt with 5 Bs. For accountancy.

Thank you there mate for that information, much appreciated.

I was there (though not involved in the incidents). It's not being handled well at all by the Union. Most of the Glasgow debaters are fuming (those actually involved are not active debaters but general GUU folk and former Board members).

Aye, I noticed your name signed on a statement (released by dialectic society?).

Again, not surprised. GUU culture can get pretty knobbish. Hence why things like the Iron Stomach are still official union events. Which is fucking vile incidentally.

Aye, I noticed your name signed on a statement (released by dialectic society?).

Again, not surprised. GUU culture can get pretty knobbish. Hence why things like the Iron Stomach are still official union events. Which is fucking vile incidentally.

Dialectic Society President (who I'm good friends with) is also a GUU debater and has released statements on behalf of them in relation to this, but the statement I and others signed was in a personal capacity as senior speakers at GUU debates (which is separate). We're determined that the due process in the disciplinary action doesn't just let the Union sweep it under the carpet or portray this as (primarily) a problem for debating when it's clearly a Union issue.

Edited by Ad Lib

I signed a petition doing the rounds on facebook, and liked a group talking about boycotting the GUU until action of some sort is taken, but it seems that the protest against misogyny at the GUU is being run by fairly extreme leftists and feminists. There is talk of a protest on Friday involivng exclusively female speakers. I struggle to understand why barring men from talking, in a protest about equality of gender, is productive.

I like Glasgow Uni, but it seems that the leftists and extremists take control of anything that resembles a protest.

On another topic, got an Email asking me to vote in the SRC election, but apparently only one person is running. Unsure whether to bother voting now.

There are quite a few where there are multiple candidates but only one is running for the president.

I'm not surprised, it's a shit job. You can also "re-open nominations" when everyone on the ballot looks like a roaster.

Also, due to conflicting communication on thesis binding, some students have paid £60 for binding when they could have got it for free. I paid £17. The level of incompetence is astounding sometimes.

Edited by Supras

I signed a petition doing the rounds on facebook, and liked a group talking about boycotting the GUU until action of some sort is taken, but it seems that the protest against misogyny at the GUU is being run by fairly extreme leftists and feminists. There is talk of a protest on Friday involivng exclusively female speakers. I struggle to understand why barring men from talking, in a protest about equality of gender, is productive.

I like Glasgow Uni, but it seems that the leftists and extremists take control of anything that resembles a protest.

On another topic, got an Email asking me to vote in the SRC election, but apparently only one person is running. Unsure whether to bother voting now.

Nail. Head.

It makes sensible political discourse around the uni rather tricky.

So apparently there is going to be a protest outside the GUU on Friday against the incidents of misogyny. For some reason they have decided to sell vagina cup cakes.

How does disagreeing with incidents of blatant misogyny in a student union relate to putting genitals on food?

I think the means tested loan is increasing from a maximum of £5599 to £7500, or something like that, and like Wellfan09 said, anyone can claim up to £4500, regardless of their financial situation.

That's how I read it anyway...

There are quite a few where there are multiple candidates but only one is running for the president.

I'm not surprised, it's a shit job. You can also "re-open nominations" when everyone on the ballot looks like a roaster.

Also, due to conflicting communication on thesis binding, some students have paid £60 for binding when they could have got it for free. I paid £17. The level of incompetence is astounding sometimes.

You can get it done for free? May I ask where you got your dissertation printed/bound? My buddy had his done at the shop adjacent to the GUU, think he paid 35 quid for three bound spiral books.

Edited by JogaBonito

Anyone know anything about this shitstorm that's happening at EUSA just now? I don't care enough to actually want to find out myself.

Not sure, there was an EGM which filled the George Square lecture theatre and they had to get an additional theatre open to to video link it for another 100 folk to give the VP a vote of no confidence about mis conduct and they also got court order to censor a story. he narrowly survived, It then escalated to someone trying to get the president to resign. Somebody apparently brought popcorn to the debate :lol:

You can get it done for free? May I ask where you got your dissertation printed/bound? My buddy had his done at the shop adjacent to the GUU, think he paid 35 quid for three bound spiral books.

I could have spiral bound it myself but I got it down at a place in the centre for £17 for two copies. After being explicitly told we couldn't spiral bound. Before being told that we actually could spiral bind it and to ignore the previous email.