Who's Going To Uni?

I wish I had went to uni at 17/18 and stayed in the halls. From what I've heard it's an absolute riot, would be some laugh. Go for it, Scott, what have you got to lose?

I'm doing a research proposal just now that's bursting my tits. Doing it on the level of staff turnover in call centres. There's loads to write about, but I just cannot be arsed with it, and probably should have started it weeks ago, instead of two days ago. Still, got about 600 words, only another 3400 to go...

Aye, I turn 18 in the January but I have a fake ID so that shouldn't be a problem although I got rejected buying a carry out last week because it was the only form of ID I had - I would imagine most places would ask for a student card along with the ID? If so then I'll be fucked.

Definitely something I'll consider but it seems a bit of an unnecessary expense when I can easily travel to and from Stirling from Cumbernauld. P&B picked the subjects I did for Higher in S5 so it's no big deal if it makes another life choice for me 8)

Another one here who would recommend halls. My experience sounds a bit like Mikey's, had a great time but was glad to get out of their by the end of the year.

Was also 17 when I went, which was a slight pain in the arse. Albeit, it was only for a few weeks in my case. Much of that time was spent in Strathy Union anyway, January would've been a bit trickier. I've actually got a fake student card just now :lol: Pays for itself after one or two nights out.

You should get the full 3.5k I think. I basically applied through the uni for the SAAS funding but it took SAAS ages to get back to me so I phoned SAAS directly, spoke to a guy for 5 minutes and he approved it over the phone pretty much there and then as my course was on the list as well. Then you just show the uni finance department the letter/email you get confirming the award and they should just knock it off the cost.

Ta much. Never had the urge to go travelling as a teenager but for some reason I'm desperate to do it now. Choice between going away for a bit or doing the post-grad. Decisions!

Exams are on the 2nd and 9th of May. Happy with that, plenty of time to prepare, found out the second one is an open book exam. So it's all good.

Better than last years. Got my three exams on the first three days of the schedule.

Aye, I turn 18 in the January but I have a fake ID so that shouldn't be a problem although I got rejected buying a carry out last week because it was the only form of ID I had - I would imagine most places would ask for a student card along with the ID? If so then I'll be fucked.

Definitely something I'll consider but it seems a bit of an unnecessary expense when I can easily travel to and from Stirling from Cumbernauld. P&B picked the subjects I did for Higher in S5 so it's no big deal if it makes another life choice for me 8)

Definitely go to halls, both for the social life and being nearby classes. Got a few friends that go to Stirling and commute from Glasgow and most of the time they can't be arsed getting the train then the bus, especially for 9am starts.

I was 17 until February but it isn't really a problem, if your living in Halls all the pre-drinking is done in people's kitchen's/ living room and 9/10 times it's off to the union where you can be under-18 as long as you're a student (at least that's the case in Dundee). The only thing you'll miss out on in the town's clubs will be discounted entry if you have to show a student card to get it, apart from that I can't see why they'd ask you.

Do it, moving out is the best part of uni IMO.

Edited by GorgieRoad

Stayed in halls in Stirling despite living in Alloa just 10 minutes away. Financially it was stupid to waste the money but you'll meet friends for life and it was easily the best year of my life so far. Best memories were every time its sunny everybody just chills round the loch having a drink with disposable BBQs !

At Stirling theres no d.o.b on your student card , just make sure you know your ID well !

I studied History at Stirling too. Stay in halls. I suspect you won't regret it. 1st year is just one big social event anyway. I had a great time and living in halls is certainly a part of that. You might as well make the most of it. The workload shouldn't be a challenge.

I think going into halls is one of the main areas of getting to know folk when at Uni, you don't tend to interact as much even in tutorials etc and get to know people. I went back to uni at 26 and had lived in my own flat with my boyfriend, whilst it was good, you can feel a bit detached from the student life.

Just got an unconditional place for a taught postgrad at Glasgow Uni, really pleased. Going depends on getting money from the SAAS and as the course is £5000, raising the £1,600 shortfall.

Got to try though as they majority of jobs in my field require some sort of graduate qualification.

What's your postgrad in?

Also, for ScottR96, my point could have better put across for your situation. As you're applying for Stirling (ie Bridge of Allan) you should definitely move into halls. It won't be practical to travel in, and from visiting on a fine September's open day, Stirling has a beautiful and convenient campus. I'd have went to Stirling if it weren't for the fact that I stood a decent chance of getting a scholarship from Strathclyde. I feel I just about made the right decision on that, though living in halls would have been great and was the main reason why I wanted to go there.

All university courses are piss-easy in the 1st/2nd years. That said, you (P&B audience) should still try and put in the best work you can, if only to gain the feedback on what you'll need to improve upon in the final years. Having said that, the Scottish undergraduate courses are like a quantum physics course compared to undergraduate courses in the US. The students aren't stupid in any way, but they've never been taught how to write in a formal, argumentative manner, which is astonishing.

Edited by vikingTON

What's your postgrad in?

It's in Information management and preservation - basically qualifying me for archive & library work. I already work in these areas but the entry level doesn't pay very well and as I want to concentrate on archiving and digitisation these tend to be one person projects or managing archives with volunteers.

All university courses are piss-easy in the 1st/2nd years. That said, you (P&B audience) should still try and put in the best work you can, if only to gain the feedback on what you'll need to improve upon in the final years. Having said that, the Scottish undergraduate courses are like a quantum physics course compared to undergraduate courses in the US. The students aren't stupid in any way, but they've never been taught how to write in a formal, argumentative manner, which is astonishing.

Lol, I work for a university and I have discovered that a great many students are very stupid indeed.

The only advice I would add is that first year is a good time to find out about how things work, like the library catalogues, others sources for research etc - it's a better time than 2 weeks before you final dissertation is due and you don't know how to access key literature for it!

Did you do History at undergrad? I only ask because there's a (history) section in archival administration over here. It seems fairly well connected. Digital uploading of archives onto the Internet has been a massive transformation in the field of history, for obvious reasons.

No I did Philosophy at Uni of Edinburgh.

I am very interested in History in general which is why I was attracted to this kind of work I work in part with uploading and digitising historical items we have. It'll be good if Glasgow has a well connected dept in this area

Glasgow are c***s: Strathclyde ftw. But seriously, anything that gets old material digitised is absolutely massive for historians like yours truly. I presume the same impact occurs across other university subjects but in history it is literally transforming as to what you could and could not study. My undergrad dissertation was based upon news articles that pretty much no-one had ever bothered to cite before: because it wasn't practical until very recent times. The 19th Century British Newspapers Archive has transformed 19th Century British history within a few years. It's incredible to see how things rapidly change.

Glasgow are c***s: Strathclyde ftw. But seriously, anything that gets old material digitised is absolutely massive for historians like yours truly. I presume the same impact occurs across other university subjects but in history it is literally transforming as to what you could and could not study. My undergrad dissertation was based upon news articles that pretty much no-one had ever bothered to cite before: because it wasn't practical until very recent times. The 19th Century British Newspapers Archive has transformed 19th Century British history within a few years. It's incredible to see how things rapidly change.

It's amazing what you can find in the depths of the library or other archive which is hidden and unseen by anyone. I have come across some really interesting material and it would be great to get it all on-line and let people see it and use it.

Glasgow Uni students are fairly cuntish IMO. That's one thing that is annoying for me, I don't really hang about with folk at my halls (most of which are weirdos/dicks) cause I go out to Strathclyde all the time if I'm going out due to the people there being a lot more decent and less wanky, so they think I'm a recluse!

Still glad I chose Glasgow though. It's a much, much nicer Uni and area in general and there's still a prestige about a Glasgow degree because its such an old, respected institution.

Scott, I'm in 4th year at Stirling doing History. I also went to halls (lived in AKD) at 17, although I turned 18 in the October. Couldn't recommend halls enough, virtually all my best mates are from there.

You'll hear stories of people at uni going on the piss with their class etc but History isn't really like that as there's such a selection of modules you end up with different people every semester. Sure there are people you get to know and have a chat with whenever you bump into them but it's not really the same. If you want to have a great time at uni, I'd definitely say halls are the best option - if you can afford them, obviously.

Handed in my dissertation on Wednesday there. Genuinely don't really know what to do with myself now. :lol:

The biggest problem Glasgow has is that it's full of self loathing wankers who make sweeping generalisations and slum it in Strathclyde as a result.

^^ Goes to Glasgow, makes my point look stronger.

The irony of you making a sweeping generalisation is also hilarious.

And I have no idea where you got self loathing from? I hate upper class Glasgow uni types, not myself.