Who's Going To Uni?

Weird to think there'll be freshers this year born in 1995. :(

Forget numbers, let's put this into perspective: There are people in this country who can legally buy alcohol that weren't born when Toy Story came out.

Eta: What makes it worse is that I'll be a year older in 3 mins (that sounds odd, I know)

Edited by Hedgecutter

Forget numbers, let's put this into perspective: There are people in this country who can legally buy alcohol that weren't born when Toy Story came out.

Eta: What makes it worse is that I'll be a year older in 3 mins (that sounds odd, I know)

Happy birthday, sweetheart.

My only law exam is on the 23rd April, then I have the politics exam that might actually require some reading on the 24th April. Then 20 days of f**k all before my last politics exam on 15th May. The exams are insanely early this year.

Did you do Legal Profession and Ethics in 2nd year? What's the story with the exam? I'm not really sure what to expect from it - do you just do it from your laptop at home?

Nah, that's a new course they thrust on you because you no longer have to do Tax Law in the LLB. No help here I'm afraid.

See when you get your degree, how do they aggregate all of your marks for individual modules for your final grade?

Is it simply a case of an average of every module you do? How does your grade for your dissertation factor in?

Going into 4th year and never really understood how it works :lol:

Not sure if it's the same everywhere, but mine was just an average of all the modules. My project (I didn't have a dissertation) was given a larger weight in the overall calculation.

At Glasgow, do results in 1st and second year go towards your eventual degree classification or is it just when you start 3rd year?

It might depend on other courses, but for every one I'm aware of it it's only 3rd and 4th year results. Obviously would be different if it's a 5 year course.

It's a 50-50 split for my course with the only caveat being a dissertation needs to be passed to get an honours degree.

Says on the SAAS website that they'll pay "up to" 3.5k to support certain postgrad courses. In terms of courses that I'd actually be interested in doing, the best I'm finding is about that cost for a one year masters.

Question, if any of you ken, is what does 'up to' mean in this case? There's no point me in applying for it, then being told I'm getting a grand or something and having to stump up. I'm skint as f**k :lol:

Any insight appreciated chaps.

Says on the SAAS website that they'll pay "up to" 3.5k to support certain postgrad courses. In terms of courses that I'd actually be interested in doing, the best I'm finding is about that cost for a one year masters.

Question, if any of you ken, is what does 'up to' mean in this case? There's no point me in applying for it, then being told I'm getting a grand or something and having to stump up. I'm skint as f**k :lol:

Any insight appreciated chaps.

I did a Masters in 2011/12 and got some funding towards it. They seem to have a list of supported courses for each year for Scottish post-grad students and if your course is on the list then they can give you some funding. I also got extra funding from a trust called Carnegie-Cameron:

http://www.carnegie-trust.org/our-award-schemes/postgraduate-schemes.html

I got about 8 grand in the end so its definitely worth looking in to and there does seem to be a lot better funding for Scottish Students looking to study a post-grad in Scotland.

That made me realise there are people who can legally get married who weren't born the last time Scotland reached the finals of a major tournament.

See when you get your degree, how do they aggregate all of your marks for individual modules for your final grade?

Is it simply a case of an average of every module you do? How does your grade for your dissertation factor in?

Going into 4th year and never really understood how it works :lol:

Its normally more complicated than that. In at least one Science department at Edinburgh there is a complicated statistical sum that weights all of your modules against how you did in that module relative to how you did in your other modules and how you did in that module relative to everyone else who also took that module. I think it all comes out as quite close to just an average grade but its not always quite that simple.

For dissertations, they are normally weighted as the equivalent to some number of lecture courses. My masters project counted as three lecture courses.