Who's Going To Uni?

Huh, I feel pretty lucky that they gave us a whole bunch of options then!

Mine is due sometime in April, I think. It's been reduced since last year. This year is has to be about 5-6 thousand words (whereas it was between 10 and 12k last year) as well as it being downgraded to 20 credits from 40 credits of the year (not sure how other unis do it but it's 120 credits per year)

I definitely need to put a lot of effort in after the January exams for it though, I barely spoke with my advisor before handing in my proposal. They expect that the bulk of the work will be done in semester 2 for it so there's a much reduced timetable as 2 of my classes finish up this semester.

Not looking forward to the exams though, I've got three and they're on the Friday, Tuesday and Wednesday (I think, all within like 5 days or something) and we've only done lectures for two of them so I'm not sure what's going to be examined (it's usually very calculation-heavy but we've gone through no worked examples or anything so I'm not sure). Final class for both is on Friday so hopefully a little bit more light will be shed on it. The other class seems pretty fine, good lecturer this year and he's gone through like 4 or 5 tutorials on the class so I'm relatively happy with that.

There's also another exam (dubbed a class test but it's an exam) to be put into the January diet which was supposed to be on Wednesday but got moved because of a big assignment due for Friday (that was also meant for Wednesday but they moved it back to Friday).

Shit is getting serious. :(

I've never considered a PhD before, the very thought of it brings me out in a cold sweat. I understand a few from on here have went down this avenue. Did you find it worthwhile? How difficult is it? What sort of job can I get at the end of it all?

I'm in the middle of mine right now (in statistics). I find it interesting - I get to explore the subject a bit more and also make my own contribution. My current plan is to go into research or some other form of academic work so it's obviously very useful to me as a result. There is a lot less actual research involved in mine (in terms of trawling libraries or reading books) - the bulk of my work involves developing new methodology so I basically come up with ideas then test them out. When I find one that works I plough ahead with it. Most of it is done on my computer so I have the luxury of being able to work from home.

I reckon this is probably fairly different from the general PhD experience for most people though.

Edited by craigkillie

Had a meeting with my dissertation supervisor earlier today, he seemed happy enough with my literature review. He mentioned that the information was quite dated, with few sources from the last five years. I told him that there didn't seem to be much new information on my chosen subject. He had a look and agreed, and as my subject area is a fairly large one, he has asked me to consider doing a PhD.

I've never considered a PhD before, the very thought of it brings me out in a cold sweat. I understand a few from on here have went down this avenue. Did you find it worthwhile? How difficult is it? What sort of job can I get at the end of it all?

I think lecturers/tutors are encouraged to try and get people into it.

I must be the least motivated person on earth when it comes to studying for exams, don't have a clue where to start -_-

Well, clearly not if you're at University/College.

I actually had a good idea what I wanted to do for my dissertation and had it pretty much all written by December (for February-March deadline). The good thing about coursework is that its finite, and does finish, unlike say, preparation for exams. I'd highly recommend doing it early, makes you make feel really smug when people are stressing about it.

I think lecturers/tutors are encouraged to try and get people into it.

I wouldn't be surprised. I've looked into it a bit this week, and it is something I believe would be fairly interesting.

My dissertation deadline is the 17th April. I've got around 2000 words so far for my literature review, but had to put it on the back burner for the time being as I've got a 3500 word essay due next week.

My supervisor wants a final, lock, stock lit review to be submitted by the 31st of January, but also expects the vast majority of the methodology to be completed by the 21st of January. And I've got an exam on the 17th of January.

I miss third year.

We got told to have a dissertation question in before the end of third year with the expectation that people would make a start of literature reviews over the summer. They then dropped the bomb on us that the deadline had been brought forward to January rather than March.

First draft due on Thursday/Friday for me. I've pretty much been told to create my own question and find my own stuff, no help given - even on literature (observation rather than complaint).

Am I right in saying you're doing Politics at Strathclyde? Last year I was only finishing my first draft of the literature review in January and had met my supervisor twice, f**k having the whole thing done by then!

I must be the least motivated person on earth when it comes to studying for exams, don't have a clue where to start -_-

I was in 2nd year when I realised I never actually learned anything revising for exams, or if I did it was highly unlikely to actually come up in the exam. You either take it in during term time or you don't in my opinion. I remember writing exam essays 6 months after classes and it's amazing how it comes back to you even if you think you don't know anything going into the hall.

I must have done quite well in exams because it was really my complete inability to hand an essay in on time that cost me a 1st.

I wouldn't be surprised. I've looked into it a bit this week, and it is something I believe would be fairly interesting.

My dissertation deadline is the 17th April. I've got around 2000 words so far for my literature review, but had to put it on the back burner for the time being as I've got a 3500 word essay due next week.

My supervisor wants a final, lock, stock lit review to be submitted by the 31st of January, but also expects the vast majority of the methodology to be completed by the 21st of January. And I've got an exam on the 17th of January.

I miss third year.

The last week of my Senior Honours year I wrote 30,000 words! Two essays and my dissertation. I'd researched my dissertation pretty thoroughly and read loads but I hadn't actually got round to writing much and I scrubbed what I had and started again anyway. It was pretty stressful, working furious 16 hour shifts in the uni library but I think I actually produce better work under pressure so it probably worked out for the best.

I actually handed my dissertation in two days early because I had a great fear that the paper copies would spontaneously combust, all my various burned discs and flash drives would be wiped by mysterious magnetic waves from outer space and that I'd fall down a well and go undiscovered until after the submission date.

General question here. Is do employers really care about the difference between a First and a 2.1?

Depends on what sort of job your going for - 2.1 is the minimum for a lot of grad schemes.

I rememberwhen I was at Uni about 4 years ago there was astat doing the rounds that people with 2.1's outearned people with firsts, although this was chalked up to firsts staying in academia as they clearly excelled at it.

I'm in the middle of mine right now (in statistics). I find it interesting - I get to explore the subject a bit more and also make my own contribution. My current plan is to go into research or some other form of academic work so it's obviously very useful to me as a result. There is a lot less actual research involved in mine (in terms of trawling libraries or reading books) - the bulk of my work involves developing new methodology so I basically come up with ideas then test them out. When I find one that works I plough ahead with it. Most of it is done on my computer so I have the luxury of being able to work from home.

I reckon this is probably fairly different from the general PhD experience for most people though.

A phd in statistics sounds like the worst thing ever

Am I right in saying you're doing Politics at Strathclyde? Last year I was only finishing my first draft of the literature review in January and had met my supervisor twice, f**k having the whole thing done by then!

You are right. IIRC, they said something about student feedback insisting on an earlier deadline for revision and shit.

Just had my politics 2A exam there. Think it went well. Sitting on a B3 for my essay and at least a high B for my seminar presentation so hoping for a solid enough overall mark

History next week which is the one I want to focus on and pursue at honours. Very pissed off at myself with how I've set myself up for it. Just got an A3 for my presentation which would have been great if I hadn't ballsed up my essay with a C3. Got halfway through and realised I'd be better answering another question but by which point it was too late

Hoping for a B in that anyway as honours entry is stricter than politics

General question here. Is do employers really care about the difference between a First and a 2.1?

I'd actually say yes, in the sense that it's an extremely competitive job market and even small differentiations can have a big impact on employability.

It isn't enough in isolation, but nothing is.

The unlikelihood of me getting a graduate job is scaring me into applying for postgrad/masters courses. I quite fancy the look of the Creative Advertising masters course at Napier. Has anyone here done a masters at Napier who could give me any insight to what its like?

I decided to do a comparative literature module this semester, just for something a bit different. Regretting it considerably. Every non-English language novel seems to be existentialist or post-modern, up its own arse, shite. Exam is tomorrow, essentially think I'll be spending a couple of hours writing about Kierkegaard and Sartre more than any of the authors.

Should have stuck with Scottish literature, when Scott writes about Jacobites he is actually talking about Jacobites rather than delving into the essence of man through the actions of an impoverished murderer in 19 century Spain.

Had my Psychology 2A Paper 1 today. The definition of a disaster exam for me. Everything I was hoping would come up didn't appear so terrible really. I've got a B3 for the coursework which is 50% and Friday is a paper on the stats part of Psychology which should be a bit better and is worth 10%. If you fail an exam, but pass the overall course, you don't have to resit do you?