Who's Going To Uni?

What's your collective problem?

Our PhDs. :(

Do you take pleasure from trying to demoralise someone when they've only just started? Fucking idiots.

It saves time! More than anything though, it reminds me of the good old days when I was like you. Its a bit like nostalgia. :)

Perhaps you two are thick as shit and are struggling, but I'm not. I have confidence in my own abilities, as do my supervisors. So kindly f**k off.

Oh dear. I think that as Reynard says, you need a thicker skin!

Just like a job, then :rolleyes:

Not at all. At least you're paid per hour in a job. And health and safety laws apply, along with working hour directives! Welcome to the void. The darkness between being a student and being a constructive member of society.

Edited to add, there isn't a single bit of nastiness from me or Renton in this thread, its clearly good natured, as well as a warning that it isn't all days of sunshine!

Edited by Xbass Threepwood

Just think about it, why would they lie? They have nothing to gain from it.

What does anyone have to gain by posting anything on the Internet?

Perhaps they are telling the truth, but that's not my point: going on and on about how hard they're finding it isn't exactly the best "advice" to give to someone who has just started. Enough of that can put someone in completely the wrong frame of mind, destroying the initial enthusiasm that's what keeps them going through the bad times.

I would suggest they are more impartial than the senior PhD students you have spoken as the latter are likely instructed to get more people in.

As someone who knows the place well, I find that unlikely.

Edited by Sir Calum Melville

It saves time! More than anything though, it reminds me of the good old days when I was like you. Its a bit like nostalgia. :)

To be fair, this sort of thing has pissed me off before. You've given me this piss poor patter and it does grate.

Just like a job, then :rolleyes:

Think of it as a three year fixed term, where success is purely on your shoulders, in a job you are almost always in some form of team and the burden is shared. Don't expect any help from anyone, because your problem is not on their top 1000 list of things they give a f**k about. If your PHd doesn't require much in the way of things being built, if it is purely thoretical or software based then you are at least free from some of those constraints.

When XBL said you'd end up hating it, he may have overstated the case slightly, the fact remains that however much you like it now, that will certainly fade over the course of your PHd as the minutae of the subject becomes ever more crucial. Again, in a job you can expect to work on one project for some time period, but then move on to something else, variety is the spice of life. PHd depending you could find yourself anchored into one subject incessently for three years. I recall seeing some poor chinese b*****d having to give presentation after presentation on optimising the geometry of solder bumps. Yikes.

But hey, you want the good stuff? As long as you stay away from well established areas, where progress is incremental rather than revolutionary, then you will find yourself working in areas that no one else has touched, and that's great. You get to solve problems no one else has, or has tried to. Where your project goes is completely at your discretion, and that's another big plus over a job. What you make of it is yours, and yours alone.

Edited by renton

And that's what makes you a complete b*****d.

Taking yourself and believing that you represent everyone. You have no idea of my ability, so who are you to judge how I'm going to get on?

What's your collective problem?

Do you take pleasure from trying to demoralise someone when they've only just started? Fucking idiots.

Perhaps you two are thick as shit and are struggling, but I'm not. I have confidence in my own abilities, as do my supervisors. So kindly f**k off.

What the hell is wrong with you? I know a fair few people doing PhDs and they've said much the same as xbl and renton - the work does have its peaks and troughs and, towards the end, does become highly stressful and demoralising. You should take note of their experiences instead of implying that two PhD students are "stupid" - which itself is a stupid thing to say.

Grow up, cuntybaws.

To be fair, this sort of thing has pissed me off before. You've given me this piss poor patter and it does grate.

Evidently I offend your soft wannabe southern sensibilities. Presumably when your read my posts you splutter your mouthful of earl grey into a saucer.

And that's what makes you a complete b*****d.

Taking yourself and believing that you represent everyone. You have no idea of my ability, so who are you to judge how I'm going to get on?

I am everyman. I am the common denominator. I am borg. And I am not entirely serious.

Think of it as a three year fixed term, where success is purely on your shoulders, in a job you are almost always in some form of team and the burden is shared. Don't expect any help from anyone, becuase your problem is not on their top 1000 list of things they give a f**k about. If your PHd doesn't require much in the way of things being built, if it is purely thoretical or software based then you are at least free from some of those constraints.

It's a combination of both: develop a theory, then implement it (although not necessarily constrained to that model; my proposal laid out a plan where I develop a theory, implement it then go back to "concreticise"* it, implement it etc.).

*a "word" I encountered for the first time yesterday in KER...

When XBL said you'd end up hating it, he may have overstated the case slightly, the fact remains that however much you like it now, that will certainly fade over the course of your PHd as the minutae of the subject becomes ever more crucial. Agian, in a job you can expect to work on one project for some time period, but then move on to something else, variety is the spice of life. PHd depending you could find yourself anchored into one subject incessently for three years. I recall seeing some poor chinese b*****d ahving to give presentation after presentation on optimising the geometry of solder bump. Yikes.

That's fair enough.

It's the comments that were constantly putting down everything I said I had a problem with. Perhaps what you were saying in them was/is true, but repeating them over and over when I'm only a month in isn't exactly helpful.

Perhaps they are telling the truth, but that's not my point: going on and on about how hard they're finding it isn't exactly the best "advice" to give to someone who has just started. Enough of that can put someone in completely the wrong frame of mind, destroying the initial enthusiasm that's what keeps them going through the bad times.

Are you not big enough to take this advice on board, realise that there will be hard times ahead, and maintain a positive "frame of mind"?

I shudder to think what will happen when you get into the nitty-gritty of AI, and someone around you makes a comment that isn't wholly agreeable or positive.

Again, grow up.

What the hell is wrong with you? I know a fair few people doing PhDs and they've said much the same as xbl and renton - the work does have its peaks and troughs and, towards the end, does become highly stressful and demoralising. You should take note of their experiences instead of implying that two PhD students are "stupid" - which itself is a stupid thing to say.

As I said, I'm not questioning the truthfulness of their statements. I'm criticising their decision to continue stating them in response to my enthusiasm. Don't take that enthusiasm away from me now if it's going to disappear by itself in 18 month or so.

An alternative view is don't tell me that it'll disappear, otherwise it could become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Grow up, cuntybaws.

So much irony in so few words...

Are you not big enough to take this advice on board, realise that there will be hard times ahead, and maintain a positive "frame of mind"?

I don't have a problem with them telling me there will be "hard times ahead"; but to constantly re-state it when I talk about my current enthusiasm is taking things too far.

I don't have a problem with them telling me there will be "hard times ahead"; but to constantly re-state it when I talk about my current enthusiasm is taking things too far.

No. Calling you a jew hating racist paedophile would be an example of taking things too far. Giving you a bit of lighthearted mockery is perfectly acceptable.

No. Calling you a jew hating racist paedophile would be an example of taking things too far.

I resent that.

I'm not racist.

Giving you a bit of lighthearted mockery is perfectly acceptable.

That's the problem with t'Interweb...it lacks tone...

Well then, let's try to get things back on happier grounds.

What's your actual title?..... you may have already said but I'll be damned before I go looking for the post.

Well then, let's try to get things back on happier grounds.

What's your actual title?..... you may have already said but I'll be damned before I go looking for the post.

I don't have one yet...

But my proposal (written after getting the position, because there was no set project, as such) involves software agents and argumentation, equipping the former with human-like skills in the latter.

As I said, I'm not questioning the truthfulness of their statements. I'm criticising their decision to continue stating them in response to my enthusiasm. Don't take that enthusiasm away from me now if it's going to disappear by itself in 18 month or so.

An alternative view is don't tell me that it'll disappear, otherwise it could become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

My view is "don't let it bother you". If you're this stroppy a month in, what's going to happen in three years time?

So much irony in so few words...

Puerile yes - but so f**k. If it gives you the slap round the coupon you need then it's worth it! Get your head down, accept that there will be good times and bad times, and maybe at the end of three years you'll have an optimal A* search to show off.

I don't have one yet...

But my proposal (written after getting the position, because there was no set project, as such) involves software agents and argumentation, equipping the former with human-like skills in the latter.

Guid stuff, as long as you don't make the AI as brittle as yourself, I'd hate to see another HAL 9000 incident ;)

I'm doing MEMS manufacturing, using non silicon methods to produce microstructures from electrically, thermally and acoustically induced instabilities in polymers.