Premiership Star Tests Positive

Rugster

As for the media only having a go at Barry, thats crap. Hank Aaron has NEVER got the recognition he deserves, noone ever mentions him first when it comes to best players, even tho he is the record holder *for now* in home runs, as well as having magnificent other batting stats and even in the field he was excellent.

I feel that Bonds himself os overhyped to a point. Yes he had a great season again, and all the walks spoiled what could have been a phenomenal record breaking season, but other than 1 game against Atlanta he was pretty poor, and they pitched 90% of the time to him, including striking him out about 4 times in only 6 or 7 games. Everything you hear is Bonds Bonds Bonds, when there are some Excellent young hitters/pitchers who dont get the coverage they deserve. (Pujols gets very little coverage, yet only 2 players have ever hit more HRs in their first 4 years of ML, and Pujols is a lot more of a threat to hit you out of any part of the park, whereas Bonds is majorly a pull hitter.)

Anyway gotta do some work now

Sorry, but Bonds himself says that the two greatest players of all time are Willie Mays and Hank Aaron. Hank Aaron is revered as a god by guys like Jon Miller and Joe Morgan. Aaron's regarded by everyone involved in the sport as a legend.

Bonds is certainly not overhyped. I don't think people realise how good he actually is. His numbers this year are nuts. .609 OBP? That's computer game stats. His slugging percentage was .812 (yes, .812...). 45 HRS 101 RBIs, .362 AVG, and believe it or not 232 walks. He only had 135 hits and scored 129 runs...

No other player of any generation has had this kind of impact on a season. He carries his team to an extent no other player has ever had to do. The Giants minus Bonds are a mediocre side - not a bad team, but not great like the Yankees.

It's ludicrous quite how good Barry Bonds is. And he hits home runs all over the place, although as a lefty many of these are pulled.

Pujols is the number 2 (Ken Griffey Jr would be but for injuries) batter I'd say in the majors, and his contract and Bonds' contract run out pretty much at the same time...

Anyway, I'm off to have a beer and watch the football. This is an interesting thread though.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's used generally as another term for hitting, usually a powerful hitter will described as a slugger. There's a stat called slugging percentage which is used to calculate the power of a hitter.

QUick response, will get back to main points soon.

The Slugging % is the number of bases gained per at bat, i.e. a home run gets you 4 bases, triple 3, double 2 and single 1, divided by the amount of at bats a person gets. THis means that Bonds gets a base every 0.8 at bats which is damn good. Therefore if every hit you get is only a single, you will have a much lower slugging percentage if every hit is a home run.

QUick response, will get back to main points soon.

The Slugging % is the number of bases gained per at bat, i.e. a home run gets you 4 bases, triple 3, double 2 and single 1, divided by the amount of at bats a person gets. THis means that Bonds gets a base every 0.8 at bats which is damn good. Therefore if every hit you get is only a single, you will have a much lower slugging percentage if every hit is a home run.

Thanks...what an obsession with stats the Yanks have regarding sport! :rolleyes:

Thanks...what an obsession with stats the Yanks have regarding sport! :rolleyes:

I know i was going to say the that in my post, but was in a rush to get presentation sorted before going home. The stats for a baseball hitter include :-

At Bats

Hits

Average

On Base Percentage

Walks

Hit by Pitch

Slugging %

Singles

Doubles

Triples

Home Runs

runs scored

RBIs

Left on Base

Average with Runners in Scoring Position

Average with 2 Outs

Average with Runners in Scoring Position and 2 outs

Average with Runners in Scoring position and Less than 2 outs

Strike Outs

Average against left hand pitchers

Average against Right hand pitchers

Average at home

Average on the road

Average on Astroturf

Average on Grass

*include all other stats for above 6*

Errors

Fielding Chances

Fielding %

Ive probably missed some. THe pitchers that are allowed to bat have those as well as their pitching stats.......

Just shows americans have to go over the top with things. Ive probably even missed some obvious ones out too.

Not to mention the pitchers...

Earned Run Average

Strikeouts per innings

Walks and Hits per Innings Pitched

Or that OPS one that I've never quite understood.

I love the statistics. It's half the reason I love the sport.

Ever tried scoring? :lol:

What does OPS mean either, another one i cant understand is baulks, stupid rule.

Anyway back to the earlier things :-

I think the main difference between Bonds and Pujols justnow is age. Pujols is putting up numbers that Squashes Bonds for his first 4 seasons in the major leagues and still had a lot to improve on. The MVP for the national league this year is going to be incredibly tough with Pujols, Bonds and beltre at LA, although Bonds will probably get it *i dont agree, Beltre dragged LA into the playoffs, so for me should get it*. Another huge player justnow is Beltran, who has had an amazing playoffs. Look at Ichiro over in the AL, not a big hitter but has the record amount of hits ever in a season too. Was a great year in baseball :) pity its looking like yankees and clemens in the WS, dirty fucks.

The last two games have gone to 14 and 13 innings, so expect a late night, folks!

By all accounts there was some crowd trouble last night after A-Rod tried to yank the ball out of the glove of the guy who was tagging him and he was given out for deliberate interference...

Albert Pujols is the next superstar of baseball. Actually he's a current superstar. He's a quite brilliant player. I'd probably give Beltre the NL MVP too, but don't let any other Giants fans hear me say that. If the award was just "Player of the Year" like in football, Bonds would win it by a country mile, I don't think anyone could disagree with that. But take Bonds away and the Giants still fail to make the play offs. Take Beltre away from the Bums and they don't go to the play-offs.

Unfortunately, Beltran will go to the Yankees, they are trying to ship Kenny Lofton as we speak so they'll only improve next year.

Another of my favourite players is Lyle Overbay, first baseman for Milwaukee. He reminds me of a young JT Snow, in that he can hit, is a great RBI man and is a defensive dream. If Jason Giambi doesn't recover from his tumour, and everyone hopes that he does, Overbay would make a perfect fit in New York (although he'd make a nice fit in San Fran... :rolleyes: )

I think you are right, this has been the best season in terms of overall quality of pitching and hitting, and competitive games, and pennant races.

As a Bosox fan i'll be staying up tonight to watch Game 7 live. I never doubted that we'd make a comeback when we were 3-0 down (:unsure:)!!!!!!

Ortiz has had a phenomenal series and i have every faith that the mighty Red Sox will humiliate the Evil Empire in their own back yard tonight. :D

As a Bosox fan i'll be staying up tonight to watch Game 7 live. I never doubted that we'd make a comeback when we were 3-0 down (:unsure:)!!!!!!

Ortiz has had a phenomenal series and i have every faith that the mighty Red Sox will humiliate the Evil Empire in their own back yard tonight. :D

David Ortiz is a terrific player. Like a big, loveable, home run hitting bear. A bit like Gentle Ben, to that end.

Yeah, didnt get much chance to see Boston this year, was away when they were playing BRaves, and its really difficult to see much other teams, but Ortiz and Manny had a great season. I really enjoyed watching the game that lasted 6 hrs :D very tense and you could see the releif on Boston when they got the win. Yankees seemed like they would easily get the win at home, but now they may not be too sure.

And OPS is On Base Percentage plus Slugging Percentage. It measures in the base form a batter's contribution to the offence. You just add the On Base to the Slugging and you get the overall contribution, apparently. It's one of these new fangled stats that get fashionable every so often.

Suffice to say, Barry Bonds is in a league of his own, followed by Pujols who is also in a league of his own.

Yankees got TROUNCED

great game last night, good to see their faces when they found out that all the extra money spent paying fines due to being over the wage cap is for nothing :D

Will be a great world series if its Red Sox Cardinals....

Well, I wouldn't want to see Jeff Kent in the WS again, so I'm rooting for the Cards. The Cards and the Red Sox are classy clubs, I think.

The thing about baseball, somebody's always got to get the short end of the stick. Shame it was Kevin Brown, who I think is an excellent guy. But, that won't me from taking a great deal of pleasue from last night's game, even if the first two innings took what seemed like an hour.

Archived