Nom Nom Nom

18 hours ago, the jambo-rocker said:

I admit, I seem to finding myself in the habit of putting a Scottish twist in somewhat foreign dishes. A while back I did a square sausage ramen(naturally attached).SAVE_20231016_182818.jpg.b3753a04bfd2f22bfecf6416ec69ebf4.jpgAfter going to Porto, I had the francesinha. Basically a glutinous breakfast sandwich in an secret local tomato based sauce. It was class, I couldn't stop thinking about it, I couldn't stop thinking if I could put a Scottish twist on that.

I had my first day in a while yesterday, I got some streaky bacon, haggis, my go to square sausage, a steak and some cheese slices. I fried 3 layers of bread and layered it all with a sunny side egg on top, melted cheddar over it and drowned the fucker in a whisky peppercorn sauce.

IMG_20231016_140350.thumb.jpg.d375e8e93d5235330e9bdda376a43153.jpg

Not for the faint hearted, but my god it could be my 9th symphony.

IMG_20231016_140741.thumb.jpg.a856617815210666a4a3103ab3097ac6.jpg

How many did you have?

11 minutes ago, RH33 said:

Was in city to see my therapist, which I hate as sounds American.

So

IMG_20231017_130403.jpg

Think that's what they served Indy, Willie & Shorty in the village in Temple of Doom.

Getting my lunch at a burger van (steak and egg roll, HP fruity - 8/10) three young women turned up and got sassermeat rolls. 

Asked the boy if it was just lorne, got a look of disgust. Gave me a try. I returned the look back. 

It's just wet lorne. Horrific.

1 hour ago, Derry Alli said:

Getting my lunch at a burger van (steak and egg roll, HP fruity - 8/10) three young women turned up and got sassermeat rolls. 

Asked the boy if it was just lorne, got a look of disgust. Gave me a try. I returned the look back. 

Shetland?

3 hours ago, Derry Alli said:

Genuinely never heard of this before, but it appears you've been had, this is clearly mince. 

image.thumb.png.52e41541237713a72946a86c4b0ef931.png

Aye its just meat mashed up and bashed into lorne shape, basically. So what you get is visually lorne but texturally your brain thinks its just wet lorne. Its shite. 

Spoiler

I say shite, it was alright. The boy gave it the whole "I'm from down South and would never go back to lorne" spiel. Nice fella. Needed reigned in though. Lorne is BAE.

The subtleties of the Yorkie Pudding continues to evade me a wee bit although it was toad in the hole tonight..... James Martins massively egg heavy recipe which looks fantastic when he does individual ones but in a big dish, I suspect the heat just can't get through and the middle can't get light and airy. Ends up almost like a really densely set Custard 🤷‍♂️

Will try again for actual puddings. The toad in the hole will have to be a lighter batter I think

3 hours ago, Derry Alli said:

Aye. Think I'm on some DNR list now I've made it known its pretty guggit.

I've worked on the ship up there for a long long time and still never tried it thanks to the old sheltie boy I worked with explaining how it got its name and what it was! also took me years to eat cod and skate and thankfully I never liked salmon but wouldn't have eaten that again either! I'm not sure if he was just enjoying adding to my winter sea sickness 

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

The subtleties of the Yorkie Pudding continues to evade me a wee bit although it was toad in the hole tonight..... James Martins massively egg heavy recipe which looks fantastic when he does individual ones but in a big dish, I suspect the heat just can't get through and the middle can't get light and airy. Ends up almost like a really densely set Custard 🤷‍♂️

Will try again for actual puddings. The toad in the hole will have to be a lighter batter I think

Sounds painful...

On the saucermeat thing, I was recently in Burntisland and went into the Links Chipper.  Saw they had Red Puddings so ordered one as the bairn was after one.  

By f**k was that a mistake. It had a texture of raw mince although it was clearly some kind of "cooked meat". Fucking horrendous. I would imagine that's what saucermeat tastes like.

1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

On the saucermeat thing, I was recently in Burntisland and went into the Links Chipper.  Saw they had Red Puddings so ordered one as the bairn was after one.  

By f**k was that a mistake. It had a texture of raw mince although it was clearly some kind of "cooked meat". Fucking horrendous. I would imagine that's what saucermeat tastes like.

Saucermeat is genuinely exactly like square sausage. I'm not sure what folk think it is, but square sausage is as close as you are getting to a comparison. I can only assume the bit Derry Alli had was just..... shite.