Shinty

thejailender

Took in a trip to Inveraray today, caught some of the B game v Aberdour, then the firsts v Fort William game.

Aberdour game the midge were in charge. Sadly game stopped early due to an injury to a player, for which an ambulance was called. Hope he's ok.

Second game was a real tousy affair, thoroughly enjoyed it. Fort won 1-0. The spirit of shinty demonstrated by the Fort coach walking the touch line dispensing midge repellant to the punters. That, and a downpour, saw the wee fuckers off for good.

Fort looking a better team than when I last saw them. Thought they were good value for their win.

Another top day out, next up for me probably Kyles v Newtonmore in July.

• 3 weeks later...

Very decent game in Tighnabruaich today. Newtonmore took early lead, Kyles took lead, then two late goals gave Newtonmore the 3-2 win. Allegations of a head butt at the second Newtonmore goal. Winning goal was a long range cracker.

Waverley paddle steamer in town, sea plane in harbour, rain stayed mostly away. But those b*****d wee midge came for me again.

Really enjoyed it. Took the "long road" down via Otter Ferry which was a scenic wee detour. Nice lunch at Inver.

Was in Portree last weekend, planned to take in Skye vs Beauly, but match was postponed due to bereavement. Notice they got a 2-1 victory in Beauly today. Straight fight between them and Kilmallie for promotion.

Kingussie plunging to new depths. Was in Newtonmore a month or so back, guy said Kingussie don't have any sort of social club, and pubs in village all but closed, sad times for them.

Edited by Desert Nomad

Newtonmore, Kyle's and Inveraray all back in the Camanachd semis with Fort William and Lovat drawing.

Kyle's too strong for Skye with a 5-1 win.

With the final in Oban it would be good to see the Argyll sides and/or Fort William make the final.

Certainly a big crowd and fantastic final last time Inveraray and Kyle's contested the final at mossfield.

• 2 weeks later...

Really enjoyed it. Took the "long road" down via Otter Ferry which was a scenic wee detour. Nice lunch at Inver.

That's a nice wee loop.

Kingussie v Newtonmore live on BBC Alba tonight at 6. Premier League fixture but also marking 125 years of the derby so playing for the Tommy MacPherson Cup as well. Hopefully Kings can raise their game and make a decent contest of it.

That's a nice wee loop.

Kingussie v Newtonmore live on BBC Alba tonight at 6. Premier League fixture but also marking 125 years of the derby so playing for the Tommy MacPherson Cup as well. Hopefully Kings can raise their game and make a decent contest of it.

Think More could win by 6 or 7.

Did well to keep it to 1-0 and I'm just about dry once more but it's been an awful season. Kingussie haven't won a game in more than two months and only scored six in their last nine. The Silverfjord is shut now which is a pity as it's convenient for the Dell/train station.

Shame it coincides with a period of Newtonmore dominance although I do wonder at times if there's elements of a zero sum game.

Think Kingussie will be back soon enough. Winning the cup last year maybe had some thinking the new generation was ready but really the stars kind of aligned for them to get there and they had all the key men back for it, with a bit of help from some great young players. Those younger lads are still establishing themselves and there are more to break through, in a few seasons they will be really good.

First Camananachd semi tomorrow with Inveraray taking on Lovat. Live on BBC Alba at 4. I saw Inveraray at Drum last week and they clearly had one eye on this game. Unfortunately lost John Kennedy to injury and also had a number of others missing that day. Chances tomorrow might well depend on how many they get back - as well as being able to keep Greg Matheson quiet, which is no easy task.

Lovat will probably have too much but Inveraray in the cup are a different side and should at least be a hard fought match.

Going through to Taynuilt for the second semi. A new ground for me. Was thinking of heading through to Oban earlier for lunch, might take in a bit of the 12pm game at Ganavan. Does anybody happen to know where that is in Oban? Cheers!

EDIT: scrap that. Found it on google maps eventually. Nice beach by the looks of it!

Edited by Le Tout P'ti FC

Need to work on your Gaelic Le Tout, that would have given you a good idea it was at the beach :) Should be a great match I think, best two sides in the sport by a distance IMO.

Thought Inveraray were great yesterday, missing so many key men but put in such a spirited performance and pushed Lovat all the way. Some very young players came in and did well and they ended up with a retired full back upfront but had it not been for a very harsh call on a push they would have been 2-1 up in extra-time. Lovat missed Greg Matheson and Lorne Mackay when he went off but not an impressive showing by them, look to have gone backwards as a team.

Looking forward to a nice day out at Drumnadrochit on Saturday with two Glenurquhart v Lovat games. First up is the North Division 1 game with the two 2nd teams, which starts at 12:00, then at 15:00 the big Premiership match between the two.

I see there is a chippy next door, so likely a fish supper afterwards before heading back to Inverness.

Looking forward to a nice day out at Drumnadrochit on Saturday with two Glenurquhart v Lovat games. First up is the North Division 1 game with the two 2nd teams, which starts at 12:00, then at 15:00 the big Premiership match between the two.

I see there is a chippy next door, so likely a fish supper afterwards before heading back to Inverness.

You get a good burger from the club house at Drum as well :)

So I found Ganavan! Ended up 7 or 8 to Oban, snuck away for a very decent chippy in Oban.

Then onto Taynuilt, lovely wee town. I drove round the whole place looking for a parking spot. Eventually found one near Dalmally!

Kyles deserved their win. They're probably due a win v Newtonmore. I've seen a few between them now, not much between them at all.

Impressive turnout from the Kyles fans as well. Three older guys near me had a perpetual round of whisky nips going at the golf club bar, enjoyed them breaking into made up folk songs as the day wore on. A touch of Shieldinch about them!

Some of the Kyles guys took in their seconds at Oban too, one tanning Buckie for lunch. Christ knows what state he's in now! But at least he can watch it on iPlayer to catch up.

Good day out. Train tickets booked for cup final!post-28011-14396726284349_thumb.jpg

In the league, it's looking very bleak for Inveraray now. A shame that, I've developed a wee soft spot for them on my shinty travels! (Where else can you lean on a standing stone whilst watching a game?)

I'm still hoping they will be ok. They were missing a lot of players last week and with the Macaulay final next Saturday I'd guess they won't have taken too many risks today. Shame it was a relegation rival they were playing. I think they'll finish the season better, although might be too late.

Thought Kyles deserved the win today and I'd expect them to win the cup against Lovat.