The Playing The Guitar Thread

A_dee4life

this is my lot chatagorised by time and then order of ownership.

ELECTRICS

PAC102Sbr.gifel300wh_03.jpgdipintom4w_300.jpg

1.Yamaha Pacifica (still the one i play most often)

2.Wesley Pheonix (ebay experiment)

3.Di Pinto Mach iv (i like the Mosrite-esque look of this one)

ACOUSTICS

eko_ranger12_03.jpg

ej-200-sunburst_m.jpg

1. Eko Ranger 12. the eko is my dad's but it's what i learned on and it will be mine eventually! unbelievably low action which balances out the huge 12 string neck width.

2. Epiphone EJ200. I was huge on oasis at the time but it's still a nice guitar.

BASSES

9151.jpg

41k-ftqTvKL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

6117389a11866279572l.jpg

1. Peavey Milestone 3. did the job for a couple of years, was the cheapest i could get my hands on at the time. my one was white though and is now has a crude painted job applied using paints i got free in washing powder!

2. Wesley Cougar. another ebay experiment

3. Di Pinto Belvedere Deluxe. and an actual picture of my own (all be it with a big ginger buffoon behind). I love this bass. after the kids this will be rescued from a fire in one hand with the wife in the other.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone got tabs for this?

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=NWZ0gJ0HAyA

ph34r.gif

That's a good shout. I had a look on Ultimate Guitar but couldnt find it, would be appreciatted by myself also.

And I have made a pledge to myself that I will buy the classic Van Halen guitar.

Either the Frankenstien one or the Les Paul one.

evh_van_halen.jpg

• 1 month later...

Just wondered what the best order is to put my fx in as I haven't actually played a gig using them in many years. I use a Snarling Dogs wah, an mxr evh phase 90, a tube screamer & an EH small clone chorus. What's the best order to put them in. I've got them attached to my power brick & am going to mount them on a bit of wood for stage use.

cheers

Ive been playing for about ten years, started at about 17 playing along to the stuff Iwas listening to at the time, like foo fighters, weezer, nirvana, pumpkins and stuff. A wee while later I got a very basic electric with a tiny bedroom amp so it was good to get going with. It was only last year that I felt like I really wanted to explore a lot more and get better equipment. So I got myself a Vox VT30 amp and a Hagstrom Ultra Swede and a few pedals as well, delay, reverb, overdrive, distortion. Also quite fancy some tremolo too. Im massively into post-rock at the moment so I'm into the whole warm and clean dreaminess erupting into filthy noise destruction. Like Mogwai, For a Minor Reflection, Pelican and stuff.

I play drums as well....again, self-taught playing along listen to stuff. Ive always found drumming to come quite naturally to me, though im far from being an expert! Also like trying my hand at other stuff too like piano...I just find playing musical instruments very theraputic.

Ive been playing for about ten years, started at about 17 playing along to the stuff Iwas listening to at the time, like foo fighters, weezer, nirvana, pumpkins and stuff. A wee while later I got a very basic electric with a tiny bedroom amp so it was good to get going with. It was only last year that I felt like I really wanted to explore a lot more and get better equipment. So I got myself a Vox VT30 amp and a Hagstrom Ultra Swede and a few pedals as well, delay, reverb, overdrive, distortion. Also quite fancy some tremolo too. Im massively into post-rock at the moment so I'm into the whole warm and clean dreaminess erupting into filthy noise destruction. Like Mogwai, For a Minor Reflection, Pelican and stuff.

I play drums as well....again, self-taught playing along listen to stuff. Ive always found drumming to come quite naturally to me, though im far from being an expert! Also like trying my hand at other stuff too like piano...I just find playing musical instruments very theraputic.

And today's post was brought to you by the word 'stuff'

Had a quick peek at Hurt by Johnny Cash this morning on Ultimate Guitar. It's unbelievably easy and sounds excellent.

Get the original, see what you make of that!

I'm practising away at this very minute. I got roped into changing from drums about a year ago and I'm WELL out my comfort zone. Hoping not to make a tool of myself at some upcoming gigs.

Just wondered what the best order is to put my fx in as I haven't actually played a gig using them in many years. I use a Snarling Dogs wah, an mxr evh phase 90, a tube screamer & an EH small clone chorus. What's the best order to put them in. I've got them attached to my power brick & am going to mount them on a bit of wood for stage use.

cheers

Generally, it's considered best to put overdrive/distortion effects at the start of the chain and modulation-type effects last. So, bearing in mind it's a right to left order i.e. from guitar to amp, I'd go with Guitar > Tube Screamer > Wah > Chorus > Phaser > Amp. However it doesn't always work best that way so it might be worth trying different orders.

It also helps if the pedals are true bypass, meaning there is no loss in signal when the pedal isn't in use. Some pedals tend to drain tone from the signal.

My own pedal order is Gtr > Korg Pitchblack tuner > Fulltone OCD > Zvex Super Hard-On (ridiculous name but great pedal) > Zvex LoFi Loop Junky > Demeter Tremulator > Amp.

photo0330i.jpg

I bought a slide the other day. Most fun I've had playing guitar in a long time.

Always good for making up different riffs. Can also experiment with tunings. Open D major is a good one. Tune your guitar to drop D & flatten the G one tone so you're tuned D-A-D-F#-X-X

Always good for making up different riffs. Can also experiment with tunings. Open D major is a good one. Tune your guitar to drop D & flatten the G one tone so you're tuned D-A-D-F#-X-X

Yeah, I've been using the open G and open D tunings quite a lot with the slide. It's fairly easy to get a blues rhythm to sound fantastic when playing with a slide. A decent lead over it and you're jamming for literally hours, it's awesome.

Been on the Bass now for a year and a half,i love it,im not great but i have always loved the sound,so i strum along to my fav tunes and make up the odd riff.

• 1 month later...

Been playing for a few months now, starting to get a feel for the chords but I'm stuggling to strum properly, and the pic seems to always slip out my fingers :ph34r: any tips on that?

Annoying thing for me is that, as far as I know, apart from my dad who is working all the time I don't know of any other locals, prefrebably my age, that I can play with. My dad says that's the best way to learn - to play along with someone.

Been playing for a few months now, starting to get a feel for the chords but I'm stuggling to strum properly, and the pic seems to always slip out my fingers :ph34r: any tips on that?

Unless you want to play lead then id suggest not using one.

I tend to only use my fingers for rhythm anyway. Im sure alot of people will disagree but I prefer the sound and Im better without a pick (at rhythm anyway).

Unless you want to play lead then id suggest not using one.

I tend to only use my fingers for rhythm anyway. Im sure alot of people will disagree but I prefer the sound and Im better without a pick (at rhythm anyway).

I've changed my technique so will practice that way for a few weeks and see what happens.

My timing is horrific, that's the next thing on my agenda as to work on most. Chord changes I'm half decent at so that's not the major issue that I thought would before when I first picked the guitar up.

I'm sure it'll come together after the first year or so and I will keep at it but I'm extremely impatiant and get frustrated really easily. Not the best combo to have when trying to learn such skills!

• 4 months later...

A bump for a great thread :D

Since moving out of my mum and dad's house in May, I've only really been playing my acoustic. However yesterday I got all my electric gear set up.

Here it is:

post-1835-12855179810959_thumb.jpg

A bump for a great thread :D

Since moving out of my mum and dad's house in May, I've only really been playing my acoustic. However yesterday I got all my electric gear set up.

Here it is:

post-1835-12855179810959_thumb.jpg

And i bet you instantly abandoned all the worthwhile techniques you've been using on the acoustic in favour of thrashing out an hour or so's worth of fast and angry powerchords, ye cannae beat it. Then there's a solid half hour available from slipping into drop d and making some nonsense metal.

• 3 months later...

BUMP

Down sizing my gear as we are about to move into a smaller house with no room scope for having a music room.

Taylor GS5 Acoustic

Washburn Falcon ( 1979 )

Washburn RR150

Vintage V100 ( Peter Green model )

Vintage V100 ( Goldtop - P90's )

Vintage V6 Stratocaster ( Distressed Antique White )

Peavey JF-2 ( silver )

Line 6 Spider 111 - 30 watt conbo

Orange Crush - 15 watt combo

Adrenalinn2 Pedal

Line 6 Tone Core pedal ( includes 5 modules - Compressor, Tap Tremelo, Crunchtone, Space Chorus and Verbzilla )

If you are interested, just PM me and I'll email you pictures. I'm open to offers - but I'm not moving for a few months yet, so no taking the piss please.

Archived