Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

Guest The Phoenix

He's catheterised, he doesn't need to run anywhere.

Agnostic, if you don't mind.

:P

poor old soul :lol:

Rhymes with Nat King Cole.

Just a thought that popped into my head the other day whilst reading something. Point of verbal interest.

One often reads or hears of a woman being described as beautiful. That is by both genders. Men and women will both commonly use that term of the female. But it is so rare to hear or read of a man being described as such being either sex. I can't recall a single notable instance in literature or common speech.

Handsome is far more common and as are of course some of the more casual or crass adjectives referring purely to physical quality. Then there's the hackneyed, hideous, very seldom nuanced use of 'nice' to describe everything and anything; 'a dead nice guy'. Eurgh.

I just found it intriguing that the word beautiful seems almost exclusively reserved for the feminine. And that there wouldn't appear to be an ordinary reciprocal of the same or even very similar meaning.

Just a thought that popped into my head the other day whilst reading something. Point of verbal interest.

One often reads or hears of a woman being described as beautiful. That is by both genders. Men and women will both commonly use that term of the female. But it is so rare to hear or read of a man being described as such being either sex. I can't recall a single notable instance in literature or common speech.

Handsome is far more common and as are of course some of the more casual or crass adjectives referring purely to physical quality. Then there's the hackneyed, hideous, very seldom nuanced use of 'nice' to describe everything and anything; 'a dead nice guy'. Eurgh.

I just found it intriguing that the word beautiful seems almost exclusively reserved for the feminine. And that there wouldn't appear to be an ordinary reciprocal of the same or even very similar meaning.

It's because women are inherently fragile and require this sort of hyperbole.

Men naturally assume they are better looking than they really are so it isn't as necessary, and if a man calls you beautiful it's probably a harbinger of sexual assault.

Handsome can be used to describe a woman. Men have often been described as being beautiful.

You are so obviously not well read.

Handsome can be used to describe a woman. Men have often been described as being beautiful.

You are so obviously not well read.

I don't think I said it couldn't be (bold). I don't claim to be well read either. And you'll note that I didn't just refer to the word's use in literature. I made mention of rarely hearing it said also.

I do find it to be extremely uncommon. I don't think you could produce the same wealth of references to beautiful being said of a male than you could of a woman.

But that's besides the point isn't it? You've got your impression of me, you don't like me and you will have a go at me whenever possible. For that much I'm grateful.

I don't think I said it couldn't be (bold). I don't claim to be well read either. And you'll note that I didn't just refer to the word's use in literature. I made mention of rarely hearing it said also.

I do find it to be extremely uncommon. I don't think you could produce the same wealth of references to beautiful being said of a male than you could of a woman.

But that's besides the point isn't it? You've got your impression of me, you don't like me and you will have a go at me whenever possible. For that much I'm grateful.

That's probably because you have morons for friends.

Obviously not. But the word doesn't belong exclusively to womankind.

I don't know you so how could you say I don't like you? This is an internet forum and not real life.

You come across as an absolute c**t. I have nothing more constructive to offer.

That's probably because you have morons for friends.

Obviously not. But the word doesn't belong exclusively to womankind.

I don't know you so how could you say I don't like you? This is an internet forum and not real life.

On the second point you seem to agree with me that one couldn't find the same number of instances of it being said of a man. Therefore conceding that it's relatively uncommon? Sort of my point to begin with.

Of course it doesn't belong to womankind. That it does is not a claim I've made. You've supposed that I mustn't be well read yet it seems as though you're incapable of accurately reading what I've written above.

How could I say that you don't like me? It rather comes across in every single reply or post you've made to or concerning my alias on this forum. I don't know if you've witnessed the irony even in your post quoted here. You've stated it likely that my friends are morons because I don't commonly hear them refer to a male as being beautiful. I think I'll take that as insinuation. It's a judgement on those who I call friends and therefore also a judgement (a negative one) on me.

Guest The Phoenix

Just had one of those croissants with the chocolate inside. Smashing!

Also I decided to change my avatar. :wub:

Her head twitch is very disturbing.

A bit Harry Rednappish.