Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

I genuinely don't understand why people send their kids to private school. It doesn't seem anywhere near value for money.

Any time I raise this point and someone whose kid's go a private school starts reeling off benefits, I point out that I got straight A's in my Highers despite being an absolute cunt of a human being who attended a bog standard secondary.

Edited by Fudge

I went to Dundee High through the Bursary scheme. All the way from Primary 1 to 6th year.

You get arseholes in every school, and private schools are no different; regardless of the clientele.

Would not hesitate to send my future kids there if I were in the position to do so; I fully believe that if I were in a state school, I wouldn't have progressed as much I have as a person.

Some people may sneer at the cost, but I feel that the teacher-pupil relationship is something that has a lot of emphasis placed on it in private schools; the slightly smaller class numbers also help to improve performance. The abundance of extra-curricular activity that gets placed before you is brilliant in its own right.

I'm trying to convince my girlfriend to let me buy a new car. We recently started saving for a deposit on a house, which is the problem. I'd be going from a W reg 1.6 Golf with 112k miles, to a 52 plate 1.8 BMW 316ti Compact with half the mileage. To me its an upgrade, especially since I'm starting to notice faults with my Golf (calipers, dash, tappets etc.), but she seems utterly against the whole idea, even though it would only be costing a few hundred pound.

*sigh*

How much will it cost to upgrade her? :whistle

Thats for Lower as they call it and secondary. The fees are on the site. If he just did secondary it would be about 66k over 6 years, as Sookys article states its about 11k a year for students. Fair whack. There are maybe loopholes with regards to getting a good bursary if you are academically strong though im not sure about all the details of it. Also Im not saying your mate is a snob either, just generalising what seems to be the majority.

And you couldn't be further from the truth by the way. My bursary was dependant on me participating in extra-curricular activities (rugby) and achieving a high standard of performance in my studies; my dad made it clear that I had to work my arse off to stay there, like he had to work his ass off to pay the discounted fees. Very rarely you get full fee bursaries.

A lot of the people in my year were in the same position as me; grafters. Their parents were quite well off, yeah, but not so much where they could just 10/11 grand a year down the drain.

You'll find people in grove have wealthier parents than those who go to DHS.

f**k knows what they were shopping in lidl for anyway, they must be the tinky ones.

The weans love Lidl because they're always stupidly understaffed; the staff at our local have practically given up stopping them shoplifting. I suppose everything in there must be so cheap to buy in that it's still more profitable not to employ enough staff :wacko:

On a supermarket note, the new Aldi in gilmerton opened today. People queued from TWO O'CLOCK in the morning to get a golden ticket of some sort. Deary me.

Aye, but you didnae see what they got for it :o

Guest The Phoenix
On a supermarket note, the new Aldi in gilmerton opened today. People queued from TWO O'CLOCK in the morning to get a golden ticket of some sort. Deary me.

The Golden Tickets were luncheon vouchers.

Not much use to you, philpy.

And you couldn't be further from the truth by the way. My bursary was dependant on me participating in extra-curricular activities (rugby) and achieving a high standard of performance in my studies; my dad made it clear that I had to work my arse off to stay there, like he had to work his ass off to pay the discounted fees. Very rarely you get full fee bursaries.

A lot of the people in my year were in the same position as me; grafters. Their parents were quite well off, yeah, but not so much where they could just 10/11 grand a year down the drain.

You'll find people in grove have wealthier parents than those who go to DHS.

I'm just going by what I've seen and heard from them and from the people I've met that went there. I obviously don't mean everyone's the same and obviously am not privy to exactly what it's like. I read that bursaries tend to help pay for around 15 percent of the fees so you were lucky to be able to go. Near enough everyone I work with have kids that go to grove/Forthill. They're probably better off cause they're sending their kids to a public school!!! ;):P

The weans love Lidl because they're always stupidly understaffed; the staff at our local have practically given up stopping them shoplifting. I suppose everything in there must be so cheap to buy in that it's still more profitable not to employ enough staff :wacko:

It's to perv at the hot girls that work there IMO. That's why I go. :whistle

my dad made it clear that I had to work my arse off to stay there, like he had to work his ass off to pay the discounted fees. Very rarely you get full fee bursaries.

Pupil with supportive parent(s) and good work ethic does quite well in Higher exams shocker.

Private schools are bad for society. Of the couple of teachers I've known in the private sector there is no way they are an improvement than in the state sector. The evidence seems to suggest the main benefit is the connections you make - those with wealth and privilege mingling and making contacts.

Anyhoo... Carry on.

Am I the only one that thinks Highers are piss easy if you put in a moderate amount of work?

Private schools seem like a massive rip-off. If I were a parent I would much rather save the money and spend it on a nice car/holiday/prostitute.

Edited by ChineseMan