Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

Working this morning (just arrived) and the place is all locked up. Not a good start to the day, especially when bursting for a jobbie :(

Saving your jobbies for the work toilet to save on toilet roll was always a risky game to play.

High class wine bottle opening: Wrap it in a dishcloth and smash it off your cast iron bath a few times, then drive a serrated blade knife into the cork. Turn until the wine corks itself and the knife goes straight through your thumb. Time to buy a corkscrew I think.

If the wine is corked it will have nothing to do with your convoluted opening process. Corking is where the wine has reacted with the cork and gone bad - how you take the cork out would have no effect as the wine will already be off.

Made a day of it yesterday and spent my Sunday in the pub. I still managed to sober myself up perfectly to drive into work at 20 past 6 this morning.

Only downside (other than the fact I'm working and tired of course) is I'm dropping the most pungent F-bombs that I didn't even think I was capable of. I can't even stand my own smell.

If the wine is corked it will have nothing to do with your convoluted opening process. Corking is where the wine has reacted with the cork and gone bad - how you take the cork out would have no effect as the wine will already be off.

I assume that he meant the cork has dropped into the bottle.

A wine is "corked" when it is left upright for a long time and the cork dries out and shrinks. This let's air in and spoils the wine, wine racks do not keep wine bottles on their side by accident.

A wine is "corked" when it is left upright for a long time and the cork dries out and shrinks. This let's air in and spoils the wine, wine racks do not keep wine bottles on their side by accident.

True corking is where the cork itself is actually contaminated which then causes the wine to react with it and go bad. You should be able to tell the wine is bad from when you smell the cork which will be the first thing the wine waiter should do. When you're given the wine to taste again it should be obvious from the smell of the wine and certainly from the taste. A mouldy small/taste is the giveaway.

A dried out cork from incorrectly storing wine upright will cause the wine to go bad if air has got into the bottle but strictly speaking the wine isn't corked.

A screw top or plastic cork should not result in corked wine which is one reason for their increasing frequency even for expensive wines. New World wines have also embraced this form of sealing to a greater extent than Old Works wines although this is changing.

True corking is where the cork itself is actually contaminated which then causes the wine to react with it and go bad. You should be able to tell the wine is bad from when you smell the cork which will be the first thing the wine waiter should do. When you're given the wine to taste again it should be obvious from the smell of the wine and certainly from the taste. A mouldy small/taste is the giveaway.

A dried out cork from incorrectly storing wine upright will cause the wine to go bad if air has got into the bottle but strictly speaking the wine isn't corked.

A screw top or plastic cork should not result in corked wine which is one reason for their increasing frequency even for expensive wines. New World wines have also embraced this form of sealing to a greater extent than Old Works wines although this is changing.

OOOHHH LA DI DA!

Things not work out in the footballing hotbed of India then?

Says on Wikipedia he was in contract negotiations with some club in Iran.

Are Exeter City really that bad that there the 3rd choice behind India and Iran?

Hmmm, India, Iran or Devon. Where to live? Tricky.

I thought screw tops were because of a shortage/diseased trees in Portugal? Some stupid % of world cork production comes from there.

I have decided I can no longer call myself a celtic fan. They won the league and I felt very little. I cant support another senior team, and I'll still always have a soft spot for them, but I am now first and foremost a Linlithgow Rose fan.

It's probably just small team syndrome but what you have explained above is what I imagine most OF supporters to feel like when yet another trophy is won.

The only thing I think enhances the feeling of triumph for OF fans is if they win it against the other half.

I can never imagine supporting a big team that expects to win things all the time. Give me hope over expectation any day when it comes to football.