Procycling thread

myshkin

Well that's it for another year, well done Contador.

I'm pleased Cavendish didn't win le maillot vert in the end.

Hopefully Schleck will improve again next year and can take the overall.

Exciting Tour yet again.

Why pleased Cavendish came second? Genuine question.

I fully expect a British media campaign to change the rules of the green jersey competition so that Cavendish winning stages gains additional points and those hot spot sprints are banned. Of course we would have had the same clamour had the roles of he and Pettachi been reversed smile.gif

Zulle. There's a name. 2nd a couple of times in the tour? Nearly man. Maybe he never did the doping quite right?

He just arrived in the middle of the Indurain era, much the same as Evans and the Schlecks are unlucky to be dominated by Contador.

Look through the history of pro cycling, there is always one man who is dominant.

I reckon Contador will get another two, maybe three before we see someone challenge him. Possibly Bradley Wiggins!

He just arrived in the middle of the Indurain era, much the same as Evans and the Schlecks are unlucky to be dominated by Contador.

Look through the history of pro cycling, there is always one man who is dominant.

I reckon Contador will get another two, maybe three before we see someone challenge him. Possibly Bradley Wiggins!

True, indurian and Armstrong dominated for nearly 15 years.

A duopoly of contador and schleck for a few years might be interesting rather than contador being the next 5 time winner.

I'm a bit concerned at the lack in number of genuine GC contenders this year in the tdf, I think it benefits the race if there are a number of riders in contention up to the final TT.

It's certainly a different beast of a contest from years ago.

Do you really believe that Bradley Wiggins is going to challenge for the overall lead, and they say the cyclists are the ones on drugs. Wiggins won't finish near the top 10 again never mind challenge for the yellow jersey.

I don't like him.

I agree, although i'd go as far as saying I can't stand him. No questioning his obvious ability and that he is on another level to all the others but I am not going to support him just because he is British.

I'm one of the few who doesn't get the Cav-hating. I'm not his biggest fan, but personally I don't mind him.

I can't see Wiggins ever up challenging for a podium again. Last year was a fluke. The form he found came out of nowhere and I'd say it's unlikely he'll recapture for the duration of a whole tour.

The next few years of the tour should be fascinating. Obviously I can see Contador getting a couple more, but at the same time I see Schleck getting at least one tour win against Contador.

Best British Riders

Interesting stuff. Nor surprised to see Millar ranked as best. Surprised Boardman is quite as high to be honest though, good as he was at what he did well.

Anyway, it'a an intesresting read that might provoke some reaction that I thought I would share.

Hadn't realised Boardman had 41 stage wins, Robert Millar definitely deserves to be considered as the best British rider. Surprised Malcolm Elliott isn't higher though, still riding the domestic circuit and still winning races at the age of 49.

Whoah. Bit of a lengthy piece and given that it's the wall street journal, I'd guess they're not printing first and settling the lawsuit later.

Landis has nothing to lose. He got caught at the height of his career and blew it big style. whether Armstrong is as black as he's painted in the article, I dunno. The rumours/ speculation has been there for years. Is landis saying what people want to hear to suit the rumours?

I think everyone can draw their own conclusions as to whether Armstrong doped or not. The fact many riders he was beating convincingly, were either caught or have since admitted doping, should give you the answer you`re looking for. I think it`s pretty common knowledge regarding the 1999 Tour. Just look at some of the videos, it`s like he`s got an engine in his bike. If anyone out there thinks that Armstrong or any other rider was riding clean, then I think they`re pretty naive.

Zulle. There's a name. 2nd a couple of times in the tour? Nearly man. Maybe he never did the doping quite right?

Was a heavy favourite when the Festina scandal broke in 1998 & he was subsequently thrown off the race.

I think that the Schleks are getting a new Luxembourg team built aroud them and Riis is nothing to do with it as he is currently looking for a new sponsor for what was Saxo Bank. I could be wrong though, you hear so many rumours around this time of year.

I do know one team who would love to land Contador and cost wouldn't be a problem....

As for Petacchi, if there is even a whiff of this being true the British press will be all over it soon just to get Cav the jersey. Just when you thought this year's race would be drug incident free as well.

Contadar joins Saxo Bank

I now hate Contador.

Mon the Schleks!

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/riis-sets-grand-slam-goal-for-new-signing-contador

And Riis already sets him crazy goals! Despite needing an incredible amount of luck, I also believe that Contador would need to be on a stupidly juiced-up doping programme to achieve such a monumental feat. He currently is the only rider to have won 2 grand tours(Giro & Vuelta 08) in a single season. He was also a last minute entry for the Giro that year. No-one has even come close to the Giro-Tour double since Pantani in 1998, never mind adding the Vuelta to that! A stupid comment from Riis & one which will have doping sceptics(myself included) the world over shaking their heads.

contador, cancellara, porte, navarro, hernandez, c. sorensen, n. sorensen, larsson, de la feunte

that's an absolute murderer's row of a tour de france team. the shlecks are going to have to get some serious help.

Edited by T_S_A_R