Procycling thread

myshkin

Contador news

Anyway seeing as no-one else has posted it yet...

Next summer's entertainment

PROFIL.gif

Huzzah!

Can only see the Spanish batting it back into the WADA/UCI court, with the level detected being below the minimum standard limit.

As for the tour, I like the look of this stage. Millar country (& I don't mean David).

Tour2011-Cugnaux-Luz-Ardiden.gif

Edited by kiddy

• 2 months later...

Just how stupid is Riccardo Ricco? Could somebody please save him from himself.

Ricco critical after attempting to perform own blood transfusion'

he's like a comedy villain, he just can't help himself. his win at super besse in 2008 was one of the most blatantly doped performances ever, everyone knew right away that that ride was impossible clean but he didn't seem to care.

his bird even got caught taking epo last year!

contador was innocent on appeal. next move is the uci going to the CoS then contador appealing that and by the time it's all over he'll be ready to come back in due to time served with no admission of guilt.

A Malaysian cyclist won bronze at the track cycling World Cup - despite crossing the line with a nine-inch splinter sticking through his leg.

Azizulhasni Awang was speared through the leg after a huge crash (pictured, below left) in the closing stages of the men's Keirin in Manchester, but managed to clamber back onto his bike and hobble over the line to finish third behind Britain's Chris Hoy and Australia's Jason Niblett.

• 4 weeks later...

Its been an interesting start to the season. Matt Goss is taking the limelight just now with his Milan-San Remo and Paris-Nice stage victories. Cavendish is going to have to buck up his ideas shortly otherwise he's going to become Goss' lead-out man. I noticed Tommy Voeckler won again yesterday - one of my favourite riders and in a stronger team I believe he could be a decent stage race contender. Tony Martin and Cadel Evans have both looked strong with Contador easing his way into the race season.

Whats your spring classic predictions? I'll go for these on what I've seen so far -

Tour of Flanders - Phillipe Gilbert

Paris-Roubaix - Fabian Cancellara

Liege-Bastogne-Liege - Phillipe Gilbert

Gent-Wevelgem - Michele Scarponi (random but the gargantuan solo effort at San Remo was impressive)

Gilbert & Cancellara are obviously the two big favourites for the Spring Classics (Flanders, Roubaix & Fleche) but don't discount Boonen, who's just taken Gent-Wevelgem. The Contador one's a strange one as I'm sure Liege is an uphill finish & I'll throw a Frank Schleck into that equation, having just taken the Criterium in Corsica.

I think Cav's season is being based solely around the points jerseys in the three Grand Tours, so if Goss is involved in any leading bunch finish, I think it'll be curtains for everyone else.

Flanders on Eurosport just now.

Cancellara made a break wi 60K to go but has just been caught 15k from the finish. Sure I saw Goss in the Peleton, Gilbert looks strong too.

Nick Nuyens takes the sprint, for Saxo Bank, from Cancellara & Chavanel. Top finish with Boonen closing rapidly.

GIRUY team Schleck. :lol::lol::lol:

Edited by kiddy

Tour of the Basque country under way just now, yesterdays stage was a laugh. All these top Pro cyclists having to get off & shove the bikes, up a particularly steep section of road, near the stage end. :lol::lol::lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Tour of the Basque country under way just now, yesterdays stage was a laugh. All these top Pro cyclists having to get off & shove the bikes, up a particularly steep section of road, near the stage end. :lol::lol::lol:

This happens quite a lot in the one-day spring classics also, particularly climbs like the Koppenberg in the Tour of Flanders. If you're in the bunch on these climbs sometimes its quicker to get off and push - it saves your knees as well.

RE Paris - Roubaix - Cancellara was ruthlessly marked out again as he was in Flanders. Too succesful for your own good Fabian.

What about Amstel Gold? I'll go for a Rabobank home win, Robert Gessink (outsider could be Luis Leon Sanchez). Gilbert to still take Liege Bastogne Liege.

Finish on top of the Cauberg ideally suits Gilbert, I think he`d still rather target LBL. Could be a mistake with the likes of the Schlecks, Vino also likely to go for the victory in Liege. Cunego also coming into a bit of form.

• 2 weeks later...

Finish on top of the Cauberg ideally suits Gilbert, I think he`d still rather target LBL. Could be a mistake with the likes of the Schlecks, Vino also likely to go for the victory in Liege. Cunego also coming into a bit of form.

Can Gilbert take the 3 in the week? Certainly looks good enough.

Can Gilbert take the 3 in the week? Certainly looks good enough.

Ha indeed he could, take that Schlecks! Vino`s puncture ruled him out, but no way was he stopping Gilbert in this form.

Now it`s full staem ahead for the Giro, should be an epic race with a finish on Mount Etna no less, as well as the feared Zoncolon & the unpaved Finnestre, before the final days TT into Milan. stage details

Can anyone stop Contador? Scarponi is in form after winning the Trentino, while Nibali was up there alongside Contador at LBL. Anton, Rodriguez, Kreuziger can also be considered for the overall win.

• 2 weeks later...

Giro's on & Cav's in Pink. Beat by the width of a wheel & some pretty outrageous moves by Petachi today, cut up no less than 3 times. At least the ground rules have been set, as the appeal was thrown out, so we'll see what happens in the days to come. It's still a 2nd place towards the ciclamino jersey. ;)

Horrible, horrible news about Wouter Weylandt today - some horrible tv pictures (possibly unaware of the state of his injuries), not surprised to hear of his death having seen them.

Horrible, horrible news about Wouter Weylandt today - some horrible tv pictures (possibly unaware of the state of his injuries), not surprised to hear of his death having seen them.

Wouter Weylandt killed in Giro.

Was working so missed it, I imagine Eurosport will cut it from their highlights. Just brings back memories of Fabio Casartelli's death in the Tour in 1995.

Just so, so sad & shows just how dangerous cycling can be even for those at top level of competition. My sympathies & condolences go to his family, friends & team mates.

Edited by kiddy

Was watching this afternoon and a truely gruesome site it was. We didn't actually see the incident happen, only a horrible brief image of Weylandts lying on the road, blood pouring from his nose. His injuries were evidently extensive and from that point the commentary team of Harmon and Kelly feared the worst. Early reports are suggesting he may have fallen down the mountainside and back onto the road after being unable to unclip from his pedal although there hasn't been any official reports yet.

Cycling is a beautiful sport but today we were reminded of the dangers these guys put themselves in (especially) when descending at great speed with little protection.

RIP Wouter and god bless

i was gutted to get a text about this at work today. we're so used to seeing riders descend at crazy speeds that you tend to forget how dangerous pro cycling really is. the spanish rabo guy that fell off the cliff two years ago had a lucky escape, weylandt wasn't as fortunate.

i read earlier that his girlfriend is five months pregnant. i really hope she didn't see the pictures today.