Procycling thread

myshkin

saying that contador is cheat because he git caught withnagew picograms of clen in his system which were officially rulef to be due to contaminated legal supplements while porte is clean because he has never failed a test is a naive and stupid way of looking at things.

They are both clearly dirty.

Which was my point, you seem to slate Sky for cheating. But like it when they are beaten by Nibili for example who rides for fucking Astana.

because nibali rides with style and is fun to watch. it also helps that he doesn't bang on about zero tolerance and marginal gains.

Berti was 61st, shipping 3.37 to stage winner Tony Martin &, more importantly, 2.45 to Froome.

As for Porte catching him, he only beat race leader David Veilleux by 16 secs.

For a former Spanish TT champion, that's all you need to know about his ride today, he was stinking.

J-Rod wasn't much better, 16 secs behind Contador, though he's not a noted TT rider. Though Valverde was slightly better at 8 secs faster.

IMO all Sky have to do is ride tempo & there's nowt the Spaniards can really do.

If that's the sort of form their in, heading for July, it may be that Van Gardaren, who's not at the Dauphine, might be the only serious contender for Sky to deal with.

Edited by kiddy

I felt gutted for Radioshack's Bushe today. He was a matter of yards from the line when he was caught. But Froome just blew Contador away at the last corner by banging it into a big gear & powering away.

Nice to see one of my favourite riders, in Tommy Voekler, win yestedays stage from a break.
The two Astana boys made a right pigs ear of the run in & left it far too late to work over the Movistar & Europcar riders.

That Sky train is like nothing else (well, OK, it's like USPS). Rogers dropping on that climb before Geraint Thomas & EBH. And boy did Stannard last a lot longer than anticipated in the group.

Still, credit to De Marchi, especially considering he spent so long at the front yesterday as well.

Desert Nomad, on 10 Jun 2013 - 15:22, said:Hesjedal has crashed on today`s stage of the Tour de Suisse and taken to hospital. A bad season gets worse.

Nobody seems to be covering it.

Desert Nomad, on 10 Jun 2013 - 15:22, said:Hesjedal has crashed on today`s stage of the Tour de Suisse and taken to hospital. A bad season gets worse.

Nobody seems to be covering it.

I've been watching a stream online.

@cyclingfans on Twitter provides the links daily.

Sagan was awesome today. Took the category one climb towards the end in his stride and easily fended off the three climbers to take the stage in horrible weather.

It's that time of year again. With less than a month to go until the Tour it's time I started considering my bets.

My favourite market tends to be a Top 10 finish, any decent tips to consider for the Top 10 on GC this year. I've had a few good bets on the last few years. I took Tommy Danielson 2 years ago, Last year I had Pierre Rolland.

Anybody got a strong feeling for anyone this time around?

Quintana from Movistar is my pick to go well, his odds may not be particularly brilliant as he has been performing well this season.

Just caught up with the Giro having been away. Couple of excellent finishes from Cavendish but Nibali stole it in the second last stage, that was a tremendous ride.

Looks like Froome will be quitting Sky at the end of the season, can`t see them dumping a knight of the realm.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/cycling-froome-eyes-tour-success-years-come-092730778.html

You really think they'll dump the 28 year old in favour of the guy who is 5 years older & appears to be on the downside of his career?

Just a shame the two best riders won't be facing up to one another, in the GT's, this season.

& I don't mean Wiggo.

It's always a conundrum for top Italian pros, as they and the tifosi regard a win in the Giro as bigger than the Tour. It was the same for Pantani, Bugno, Gotti, Basso and even as far back as Coppi & Bartali. Edited by Desert Nomad

Just wondering where the drug accustations against sky come from? Is there any evidence, anicdotal or otherwise, or is it just an assumption as they are the best team at the moment?

The suggestion is that they take guys who were not exactly promising neo-pros & turn them into GT winners. Which raises eyebrows, fairly or not. And the whole idea of "marginal gains" is a hard one for people to really take seriously. A lot of it is (justifiable) cynicism that cycling will ever be clean & so whoever is strongest

And there's the fact that the Sky train looks quite a lot like something we've seen before, the US Postal Service team in the Lance Armstrong era, & we know how often they claimed they didn't dope ever at all.

Personally, I try to look at it in a way that could be seen as a bit naive. Doping happens, I'd like them to work harder to catch the people who dope & at least minimise it as much as possible, but the richest dopers will probably always be ahead of the antidopers. So I enjoy cycling for what it is, an incredible act of physical endurance, doping or not riding 180km finishing on a Cat 1 climb is going past the pain threshold of most normal human beings. So I assume that everyone is clean until they get caught. Because the alternatives are either being jaded & doubting everyone, which I just find a bit depressing, & trying to guess who doped after every performance, which is just uninformed guesswork which eventually turns into suspecting everyone. So if Froome or Wiggins tested positive I'd not be surprised, but I guess I hope they are clean, & Nibali & Contador & Valverde & everyone else is clean. Even though the chances of that are fucking slim.