Procycling thread

myshkin

You can see the problems Valverde & Purito have had, in trying to compete in both Tour & Vuelta. Coming up short was probably to be expected.
Horner's just blown away a two time GT winner, who's had the whole Summer to recover from the Giro, having shown no form to suggest he'd be anywhere near challenging for the overall win.
Never mind the age factor.

Thing is, considering Froome had to fend off the press questions every day, in France.

There seems to be a distinct lack of press pressure on Horner.

I'd love to hear Paul Kimmage's take on it.

That's as much to do with the fact that the Vuelta has nothing like the profile of the Tour though, people just don't care as much.

I read that Horner's time up the Angliru is second only to an absolute doped to the gills Heras back in the day, that means he's outperformed some incredibly juiced up riders. Haven't seen the stage yet, what was the weather like?

Desert Nomad, on 15 Sept 2013 - 05:26, said:That's as much to do with the fact that the Vuelta has nothing like the profile of the Tour though, people just don't care as much.
I read that Horner's time up the Angliru is second only to an absolute doped to the gills Heras back in the day, that means he's outperformed some incredibly juiced up riders. Haven't seen the stage yet, what was the weather like?

Shrouded in cloud cover/fog, the crowd was immense, motorbikes stalling etc.
The Vuelta might not have the profile, but, to the cycling world, it's still a GT & a double with the Tour has only ever been achieved twice, by Hinault an Anquetil. That was when the Vuelta took place early season.

Desert Nomad, on 15 Sept 2013 - 05:28, said:You'll probably never see this again or some such? I've seen a few snippets from other riders who've been pretty shocked at Horner's performance, Purito especially.

I think it was the direct look into the camera, that sent me looking for the sick bucket.
Akin to Armstrong's "believe in miracles" pish & well above Froome's "test of time".

Everybody's doping but Horner's just doping more? Shit logic. Horner's performance is certainly suspicious but nobody on here knows for a fact he's doping. As for the other main contenders, I don't think there's anything to suggest doping.

Gnash, on 15 Sept 2013 - 11:21, said:Everybody's doping but Horner's just doping more? Shit logic. Horner's performance is certainly suspicious but nobody on here knows for a fact he's doping. As for the other main contenders, I don't think there's anything to suggest doping.

Yep nothing to suggest it, bar his 42 year old ass, continually riding a two time Grand Tour winner off his wheel, having shown no such form throughout his career.
GTFOOH!
Nibali has shown consistant form throughout the last two to three years.

Gnash, on 15 Sept 2013 - 11:21, said:Everybody's doping but Horner's just doping more? Shit logic. Horner's performance is certainly suspicious but nobody on here knows for a fact he's doping. As for the other main contenders, I don't think there's anything to suggest doping.

Yep nothing to suggest it, bar his 42 year old ass, continually riding a two time Grand Tour winner off his wheel, having shown no such form throughout his career.

GTFOOH!

Nibali has shown consistant form throughout the last two to three years.

:rolleyes: This time read my post before replying.

You'll probably never see this again or some such? I've seen a few snippets from other riders who've been pretty shocked at Horner's performance, Purito especially.

Clicky

Go to 40 minutes in

Looking directly down the camera:

"I think it's an amazing moment. I think everybody that was at home on the couch got to watch a legendary moment that maybe they'll never see again in their career. Maybe never again in sports. Maybe never again in cycling where you see someone of my age win a grand tour.

As you folks sit at home you get to see something to you may never get to see accomplished ever again in your life. I hope all of you enjoyed every pedal stroke of every suffering that I did all the way to the finish. I hope you loved every moment of it just the same way that I did"

Sky Sports News have just reported Horner missed an out of competition test last night/this morning. Allegedly he was staying at a different hotel than the rest of the team so wasn't there when the testers showed up. More to come on this, I'm sure.

Is on BBC as well. Wrong hotel! :lol:

When i first saw he was up challenging my initial thought was, guy near retirement, finds himself near the top and then in leaders jersey, will give it his all for a few days, then drop away. As you know how it is, a guy thats been a won quite a few smaller tours and races (i've never heard of him just looked him up on wiki), thinks F**k team orders im retiring soon lets go for it, and busts a gut for a couple of stages to keep up there, then gets overtaken eventually. if that was the scenario then i could have gone along with it, but to keep it going that long, against some top riders, when he has done nothing similar previously is a bit hard to beleive he was clean. He might just be a late developer :)