Procycling thread

myshkin

not quite Giro or Le Tour quality, but did anyone go to watch the Pearl Izumi Tour Series in Edinburgh on Thursday? Was a cracking wee event. Not really any big names to see but there were a good few representatives who have been selected for Team Scotland at the games.

not quite Giro or Le Tour quality, but did anyone go to watch the Pearl Izumi Tour Series in Edinburgh on Thursday? Was a cracking wee event. Not really any big names to see but there were a good few representatives who have been selected for Team Scotland at the games.

Caught the highlights on ITV4, still Andy Fenn (OPQS) and David Millar (Garmin) will both be medal prospects. Its Millars last ever race.

Edited by Marr1

Poor wee Italian guy, from Bardiani Valvoli, on the Zoncolan yesterday. In a break of two, with winner Mick Rogers, & some idiot decides to give him a shove. Right into the back of the Aussie & his foot came out the pedal. Chance of a lifetime gone.

Edited by kiddy

I went to it and watched the women's then men's races. Really entertaining. Great circuit.

Poor wee Italian guy, from Bardiani Valvoli, on the Zoncolan yesterday. In a break of two, with winner Mick Rogers, & some idiot decides to give him a shove. Right into the back of the Aussie & his foot came out the pedal. Chance of a lifetime gone.

The fans on the Zoncolan were as mental as I've seen in cycling.

What about the guy in the full bride's outfit complete with flower posey. :lol:

I liked when one of the riders grabbed a fan's glasses off his face, cycled on a few yards then threw them away. :)

Edited by printer

I went to it and watched the women's then men's races. Really entertaining. Great circuit.

Agreed. We just moved around the circuit throughout both races. Plenty of great spots to watch. Slightly disappointed that neither race ended with a close fight but it was a a great night out.

Deserved win for Quintana in the end, and hats off for targeting the Giro which suited his strengths. Uran second for the second consecutive year. Somebody else slightly better than him will target the Giro next year!

The fans on the Zoncolan were as mental as I've seen in cycling.

What about the guy in the full bride's outfit complete with flower posey. :lol:

I liked when one of the riders grabbed a fan's glasses of his fave, cycled on a few yards then threw them away. :)

The Tifosi are mental. Can't remember if it was the Zoncolan, but the other year, on a MTF, having just seen an Italian win the stage, they just fcuked off down the mountain & headed home. I think only half a dozen guys had finished & the race was still going on!

The Tifosi are mental. Can't remember if it was the Zoncolan, but the other year, on a MTF, having just seen an Italian win the stage, they just fcuked off down the mountain & headed home. I think only half a dozen guys had finished & the race was still going on!

:lol:

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/jun/06/bradley-wiggins-not-ride-tour-de-france-chris-froome-sky

There must be more to this than meets the eye. Wiggo says he is in same form as 2012 yet he isn't getting a sniff of a ride and therefore won't be taking part in TdF.

If he wanted to ride so badly, surely there would be a way for him to get on another team ?

Am I the only one who thinks Froome is a bit of a cock?

Perhaps you want to look at the guy who's doing all the moaning.

Wiggo has undoubtedly cost Froome 3 GT wins (1 TdF & 2xVuelta's).

Whilst originally the support, Froome has proven himself a vastly superior rider.

Whilst originally the support, Froome has proven himself a vastly superior rider.

How has he cost him three tours? He was entered into these tours to help someone else win, that's cycling.

Disagree with costing him 3 GT's, he was, at the time, a Domestique.

Regardless of who the better rider is, Froome has become arrogant and at time acts like a petulant child. As the raining TDF champion, he shouldn't be writing books slagging off his team mates. Have some more dignity man.

Cavendish hinted at what it was like inside the Sky team and left at the first opportunity. I'd be surprised if Cavendish hasn't been on Wiggins' back to leave already, the warning signs were there as soon as Wiggins was forced to ride the Giro last year. When was the last reigning Tour champion not to defend his title through choice? Say what you like about Cav, but at least he gives it to you straight. If Wiggins is in such grand form, he must deeply regret sticking with Sky.

Indurain was Delgado's domestique, Lemond was Hinhault's & Roche was Visentini's.

Anyone who watched those tours knows his riding in support of Wiggins cost Froome the 3 GT wins, For goodness sake, it was that blatant even Cobo won the Vuelta because of it, but that's cycling.

Indurain was Delgado's domestique, Lemond was Hinhault's & Roche was Visentini's.

Anyone who watched those tours knows his riding in support of Wiggins cost Froome the 3 GT wins, For goodness sake, it was that blatant even Cobo won the Vuelta because of it, but that's cycling.

Wiggins was a deserving winner of 2012 Tour, Froome played the same role as Ulrich did for Riis in 96. It was obvious Sky would favour Wiggins in 2012, Froome had the chance to leave after the 2011 Vuelta( which he should have won), much like Wiggins has had plenty opportunity to leave Sky before reaching the current situation. It is a shame Wiggins isn't riding as would love to see him in direct competition with Froome.

As for the Tour Froome red hot favourite, I'll be very surprised if he doesn't win. Nibali needs to find some sort of form in a hurry. Contador is a wildcard.

ETA: Lemond's take on Wiggins non selection:

http://m.eurosport.com/cycling/tour-de-france/2013/lemond-team-sky-will-regret-not-picking-wiggins_sto4276398/story.shtml

Edited by Desert Nomad