Procycling thread

myshkin

I expect Richie Porte to be getting the same critisism in a couple weeks. I don't thimk he will win it, but Team Rupert will try.

If Ritchie Porte overturns the deficit he already has on Nibali then the game is up. Again.

Pish. Nibali got whipped by some 40 year old in the Vuelta. Richie is just going to make Marginal GainsTM in every tough stage and then break away and win it on the Champs Elyse

There's one man talking pish, you. Nibali already had a Vuelta in his bag plus the Giro last year, no reason to blow himself up, with artificial help or otherwise. 37 seconds is hardly a whipping either. The Vuelta is no Tour, no point taking unimportant risks. Horner, now there's a man with huge question marks. Edited by Desert Nomad

Nibali's recent form doesn't lend itself to him keeping yellow all the way to Paris. Is his team strong enough to protect him and pull everyone along for 2weeks? Not sure. With the loss of Froome it's opened it up and think someone not expected could do something. Maybe a Mollema or TJvG level of rider. Geraint Thomas put a shift in pulling Richie Porte along the cobbles. There's been already 2 great stages this tdf with the mountains yet to come.

On Nibali's team, Astana, who looked very strong yesterday. Had that been Froome at the front with two Sky teammates yesterday all sorts of accusations would be flying around. Astana managed by well known clean rider of his day Vinokourov. I'm no lover of Sky or Froome(quite the opposite), but I think we should be consistent.

On Nibali's team, Astana, who looked very strong yesterday. Had that been Froome at the front with two Sky teammates yesterday all sorts of accusations would be flying around. Astana managed by well known clean rider of his day Vinokourov. I'm no lover of Sky or Froome(quite the opposite), but I think we should be consistent.

But.....but.........but.......the entire Tour is now scrupulously free of drugs, isn't it ? We have all riders doing 'clean' TdF's, don't we ? :whistle:bag

No more EPO due to accuracy of test.

Are they still doing illegal blood transfusions / doping ? Can Vinokourov change his spots ?

Blood doping suspension

"The next day (24 July) Vinokourov failed a doping control following his time trial victory. His blood had a double population of erythrocytes, which implied a homologous transfusion.[51] He delivered a positive for blood doping on 24 July 2007.[52]

As a result, his Astana team pulled out after being requested to withdraw by ASO president Patrice Clerc[53]

Vinokourov's B sample came back positive a few days later, and Cadel Evans was declared winner of stage 13. Vinokourov was stripped of his stage 15 victory, which was awarded to Kim Kirchen of Luxembourg. According to Phil Liggett, long-time commentator for the Tour, "It is incomprehensible that Vinokourov could do such a thing when he must have known he was under suspicion because of his dealing with disgraced doctor Michele Ferrari in Italy. He must have known he would be tested at every opportunity, and the time trial was the perfect occasion."[54]

Vinokourov received a one-year suspension from the Kazakhstan Cycling Federation The UCI was angered by the short ban—a lighter sentence than those received by other cyclists found guilty, such as Tyler Hamilton and Ivan Basso—which would allow him to ride in the 2008 Beijing Olympics.[55] His team Astana then threatened to sue Vinokourov for damages,[56] as did Cadel Evans and team Predictor-Lotto, due to the publicity they lost for Evans not being named the winner at the time of the stage."

Edited by Florentine_Pogen

Really looking forward to tomorrow. Hoping for a number of teams to attack Nibali and try to start reeling some time in for their GC contenders. I like Nibali but despite the lead I'm not convinced he will stay in yellow to Paris. Contador is the obvious threat, but it's a shame Roche has to sacrifice himself for him. Love to see what he could do as he's a better rider than when he was with AG2R. Just not quite good enough to lead a top team.

Fully expect Contador to go on the attack today, could be a wise move by Nibali to drop yellow yesterday and force another team to set the pace.

Rolland might try something, although he must be pretty fucked after a hard Giro where he finished on the podium.

Blood doping suspension

http://inrng.com/2014/07/denis-menchovs-silent-prosecution/

Dennis Menchov banned for 2 years and stripped of his Tour de France podium place in 2010, and his other results in 2009 and 2012. A high profile case you would think? It was accidentally discovered by someone browsing the UCI website and they only issued a statement to confirm it later on after they were pressed on the matter.

"It is critical that the UCI embraces a more open and transparent approach in the way it conducts business." - Bryan Cookson, during his push to be elected as UCI President last year. Seems to have slipped his mind now...

Edited by peasy23