Procycling thread

myshkin

Stunning achievement by Cavendish, great to see. Hopefully he can go one, possibly two further. Him and Morkov could quite easily get 1st and 2nd on the Champs-Elysees, not all that different a finish from today. Morkov is pretty special in his own right at these sprints.

Morkov could win stages if he was the lead sprinter. He'd also be a great classics option for. Quickstep.

Cavendish was on the limit and still delivered. It's just like watching HTC Highroad again.

Sam Bennett must be gutted watching Cav win four stages with his lead out train.

I wrote Cavendish off a couple of years ago. I may even have posted in here that he wouldn't win another tour stage. What an absolutely phenomenal recovery he's had and is by far the best sprinter at the tour this year. Another green jersey at 36 and will likely break the all time record for tour stage wins. Wow.

While Cavs achievement is immense, I think it needs pointing out how relatively poor the level of competition is from the other sprinters in this Tour.

Not that Cavs going to care, and neither should he.

On 10/07/2021 at 10:54, printer said:

While Cavs achievement is immense, I think it needs pointing out how relatively poor the level of competition is from the other sprinters in this Tour.

Not that Cavs going to care, and neither should he.

The level of competition was very good at the start but several sprinters have abandoned - Ewan, Merlier, Sagan, Demare and Coquard. Cobrelli and Matthews don't have the speed. Phillipsen has had his chances and not taken them.

Cavendish also beat most of the top sprinters in the final stage of the Tour of Belgium -  Merlier, Groenewegen, Ackerman, Bouhanni, Coquard, Ewan and Nizzolo. It was clear then that his form was excellent. 

So who do you think could beat Cav atm? Sam Bennett's form was not great even before his injury. 

50 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

The level of competition was very good at the start but several sprinters have abandoned - Ewan, Merlier, Sagan, Demare and Coquard. Cobrelli and Matthews don't have the speed. Phillipsen has had his chances and not taken them.

Cavendish also beat most of the top sprinters in the final stage of the Tour of Belgium -  Merlier, Groenewegen, Ackerman, Bouhanni, Coquard, Ewan and Nizzolo. It was clear then that his form was excellent. 

So who do you think could beat Cav atm? Sam Bennett's form was not great even before his injury. 

I'm talking specifically about the Tour. Apart from Caleb Ewan and possibly Merlier, although for me he's yet to prove himself of the highest class, there are no top level sprinters in this Tour IMO (Cav excepted).

Cav was always extra special at taking his chances and that's what he has done again, backed by an excellent lead out.

47 minutes ago, printer said:

I'm talking specifically about the Tour. Apart from Caleb Ewan and possibly Merlier, although for me he's yet to prove himself of the highest class, there are no top level sprinters in this Tour IMO (Cav excepted).

Cav was always extra special at taking his chances and that's what he has done again, backed by an excellent lead out.

You don't consider Sagan to be a top level sprinter? Who are the top level sprinters (Quickstep's Bennett and Jacobsen excepted) who you think are missing from the Tour?  I can only think of Groenewegen who has not recaptured his pre-ban form. Viviani and Kristoff have struggled badly over the last two  seasons and can't be considered top level atm.

The starting Tour sprinters were Cav, Ewan, Sagan, Merlier, Phillipsen, Van Aert, Coquard, Demare, Matthews, Cobrelli, Pedersen, Stuyven, Greipel, Von Poppel and McLay. That's as strong a list as any recent GT. Cav can only beat the other teams' chosen sprinters. It's not his fault that several have crashed out or abandoned because they can't handle the mountains.

You're right, without Cipollini & Petacchi being there, the standard's been shite.
His maillot Vert will be tainted.

Congrats to Kuss for the stage win and Valverde for sticking one in for us grey/no hairs.

Kuss has looked a good bet for a lot of mountainous stages, he was the perfect domestique for Roglic in the Vuelta & Tour last year often would be the only non-GC rider left towards the end. His time trialling really lets him down otherwise he could be a team leader himself.

It’s a shame Roglic crashed out as his team have looked to only get stronger as the Tour has gone on.

Pretty shambolic start to today's stage. Mountaintop start, with all the riders well wrapped up, which then stopped down in the valley to allow them to strip down![emoji2359] What was the point of all that then?[emoji2371]

On 12/07/2021 at 16:07, Bishop Briggs said:

You don't consider Sagan to be a top level sprinter? Who are the top level sprinters (Quickstep's Bennett and Jacobsen excepted) who you think are missing from the Tour?  I can only think of Groenewegen who has not recaptured his pre-ban form. Viviani and Kristoff have struggled badly over the last two  seasons and can't be considered top level atm.

The starting Tour sprinters were Cav, Ewan, Sagan, Merlier, Phillipsen, Van Aert, Coquard, Demare, Matthews, Cobrelli, Pedersen, Stuyven, Greipel, Von Poppel and McLay. That's as strong a list as any recent GT. Cav can only beat the other teams' chosen sprinters. It's not his fault that several have crashed out or abandoned because they can't handle the mountains.

No I don't consider Sagan to be in the top level of sprinters, he's just not quick enough, and I'm a big fan. I'm not having a go at Cav's achievment, as you say he can only beat what's there and he's done that comprehensively.

There's no one (apart from Cab and Ewan) at the top level IMO. It's not who is missing from the Tour, it's compared to normal.