Procycling thread

myshkin

Picon Blanco today. 7km punchy climb with gradients 10-18% at points.
Expect Roglic to attack with 1-2km to take stage & time bonus.
Really? I thought that final climb looked a bit too difficult for Roglic to do that. Admittedly it is early in the race and he's still fresh. I thought it looked like a Hugh Carthy stage before the race but will need to be seen how he has recovered from the crash yesterday

Rein Taaramae takes the stage & the Red jersey from a breakaway.

Most of the GC contenders finish together 1.48 down.

Only big loser seemed to be Carapaz, who's form seems to be tailing off after the Swiss Tour, TdF & Olympics, shipping close on 1 min to the GC contenders.

Carthy lost 21 secs

One thing I did notice, whilst riding along a ridge about 3.5km out, was what appeared to be Roglic dabbing his breaks; causing Bernal on his wheel to miss a gear/drop back rapidly.

Oh, & Sean Kelly trying to pronounce Narvaez.😂🤣🤣

Edited by kiddy

Rein Taaramae takes the stage & the Red jersey from a breakaway.
Most of the GC contenders finish together 1.48 down.
Only big loser seemed to be Carapaz, who's form seems to be tailing off after the Swiss Tour, TdF & Olympics, shipping close on 1 min to the GC contenders.
Carthy lost 21 secs
One thing I did notice, whilst riding along a ridge about 3.5km out, was what appeared to be Roglic dabbing his breaks; causing Bernal on his wheel to miss a gear/drop back rapidly.
Oh, & Sean Kelly trying to pronounce Narvaez.[emoji23][emoji1787][emoji1787]
The big winners today were Movistar. Valverde, Mas, Lopez all finishing high today. To be expected at their home tour I suppose.

Looks like Roglic is pretty much the only card JV has to play. Movistar have Mas/Lopez & Ineos have Bernal/Yates. Can't see Valverde being a contender, but his form could be crucial in aiding his team mates.

Noticed last night that Carapaz had a P 20 attached to his result on La Vuelta's results page.

Eurosport confirmed a time penalty for an illegal bottle on Picon Blanco. Final feed finished at start of the climb & he took a bottle from the roadside within the first 100 yrds.🤦‍♂️

Great to see Fabio Jakobsen winning a grand tour stage just a year after his horrendous crash.  At the time it looked like he would do well to survive so his recovery has been fantastic. 

1 hour ago, Gnash said:

Great to see Fabio Jakobsen winning a grand tour stage just a year after his horrendous crash.  At the time it looked like he would do well to survive so his recovery has been fantastic. 

They read out the list of his injuries sustained on that crash on Eurosport yesterday, it was horrific. Great to see him win. Brian Smith then went on to say he is, or soon could be, the best sprinter in the world which may be a tad premature. 

They read out the list of his injuries sustained on that crash on Eurosport yesterday, it was horrific. Great to see him win. Brian Smith then went on to say he is, or soon could be, the best sprinter in the world which may be a tad premature. 
I heard that too. The really interesting thing will be to see just how good Bennett is next year when he doesn't have Morkov leading him out. And if he is up against the likes of Jacobsen and Cavendish rather than having them as team mates.