Procycling thread

myshkin

IMO the only clean winner in a generation is Óscar Pereiro. The pivotal stage of the 2006 tour being 13. When Landis Team Phonak let OP turn a 28 min defecit, into a 2 min advantage, whilst forgetting that the guy could climb & the rest, as they say, is history. :lol:

pereiro actually tested positive for salbutamol in that tour but got a retrospective TUE (very handy).

he made an interesting tv appearance recently pretty much accussing spanish football of being doped up (never!)

Oscar Pereiro took it to journalists on a Spanish talk show when he vehemently defended cycling against media bias that he says favors soccer.

The 2006 Tour de France champion blew up when a panel of journalists criticized cycling’s doping past, saying that the media treat soccer different than cycling when it comes to doping cases.

Referring to Spanish soccer players who tested positive during their careers, Pereiro said the media are quick to label a cyclist as a cheat while footballers are given the benefit of the doubt.

“Giovanella was positive, Gurpegui, Guardiola … and all because they took energy mixes. If a cyclist takes it, they’re positive,” Pereiro said. “All of San Mamés, Balaidos, Barcelona (stadiums) yell ‘innocent!’ and later I have to put on a mask just to walk down the street.”

An indignant Pereiro even cited a reference by former superstar Zinedine Zidane, who supposedly told French singer Johnny Hallyday that he used blood transfusions in Switzerland twice a year during his playing years.

“Zidane has admitted that he underwent blood transfusions in Switzerland to regenerate his body. That’s a positive in cycling,” he said. “The problem is the difference between the journalist and the public who interpret the cyclist is doped, and if the other does the same thing, it’s taking care of themselves or fighting for the colors of your club.”

Pereiro has had his name dragged through the mud. Initially, he was linked to the Operación Puerto doping scandal by one of the nicknames used by ringleader Eufemiano Fuentes.

That nickname — “urko” — was later linked to Spanish track and field star Marta Dominguez, who was involved, yet later cleared, in the Operación Galgo doping investigation this winter in Spain.

Floyd Landis, who saw his 2006 Tour victory stripped and passed on to runner-up Pereiro, has said that Pereiro doped when they were teammates on Phonak. Pereiro has denied those allegations.

Pereiro also defended cycling, saying that 10 percent of a rider’s salary is dedicated toward anti-doping efforts.

No hay cojones (no one has the balls) to tell the truth story about Operación Puerto in this country,” Pereiro said. “Don’t even bring up Fuentes. Hopefully some day Fuentes will stand up and say everything he knows. A lot of those bags found in the raids had ‘European championship’ written on them. There isn’t a European championships in cycling. It’s all been an embarrassment.”

Pereiro retired at the end of the 2010 season and has been working as a journalist in radio and television.

They usually comment on the British scene for ITV4, think they've done Eurosport too, their monotone drawl sends you to sleep. -_-

Makes Liggett & Sherwin sound interesting! :eek:

The Scottish bloke sounds like Franky Boyle! I don't even know who they are?

I take it they were only coloured yellow down to him being scared of dying from this horrible disease? :huh:

I am well aware why they are yellow and indeed why they say LIVEStrong on them. I dont disagree that the Armstrong association is now distracting. But the rationale of the bands remains valid and dismissing those who wear them as "mugs" is crass and moronic frankly.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

The Scottish bloke sounds like Franky Boyle! I don't even know who they are?

Both are Scottish, although the main commentator Anthony McCrossan has lived in England most of his life. The other is Brian Smith, former Scottish pro rider who rode 1 season for Motorola, was British road race champion and part of the Olympic team in 96 and also the Scottish Commenweath team. His other years as a pro were spent with lower ranked pro team in the UK and the USA.

I am well aware why they are yellow and indeed why they say LIVEStrong on them. I dont disagree that the Armstrong association is now distracting. But the rationale of the bands remains valid and dismissing those who wear them as "mugs" is crass and moronic frankly.

livestrong is a sham as well. you probably won't care about that either though.

livestrong donates almost nothing to cancer research

If Lance Armstrong went to jail and Livestrong went away, that would be a huge setback in our war against cancer, right? Not exactly, because the ­famous nonprofit donates almost ­nothing to scientific research. BILL GIFFORD looks at where the money goes and finds a mix of fine ideas, millions of dollars aimed at “awareness,” and a few very blurry lines.

bert vs vroom

etp8.gif

will we see the return of classic contador? will we see froome, haneo and uran sitting on the front at 430w all the way up the final climb?

should be interesting.

Going by Contador's end to the mountain stage the other day, I'm going to say no. Froome will be protected all the way up again by the Sky train.

:)

It's dead on right though as many folk are sheep that follow the latest 'right on' trend and don't use their minds.

There's many 'mugs' wanting to buy into the Olympic winners, team sky and Wiggo. If you see the prices on the team sky web shop you'll get my point.

Armstrong wouldn't have had the Live Strong brand without his yellow jersey success.

His book was a fanastic tale of beating a serious illness to become a serial TdF winner.

Armstrong can be admired for his tenacity in beating cancer and for popularising cycle racing in the USA, but he's still left this hanging over him.

I was in awe of a commentator in America saying that the USADA was 'unamerican' in its pursuit of Armstrong. Bloody hell.

great stage finish there. the vuelta is saving 2012 grand tour season.

the three spanairds will bully froome all the way to the end.

Froome made a big mistake playing chicken with Contador. The Spaniards were playing the Spanish card, in "anyone bar Froome", & he'd better realise they'll work him over & change his tactics for the final week. He needs favours from any English speaking riders he can get. Just ask Robert Millar about them.

If he'd just kept the pressure on constant, they'd never have come back & chances are Contador would have beaten him for the stage, on the line, at worst.

Edited by kiddy

Froome should have just kept riding hard after his attack took him away, he was going to be taking time out of Rodriguez and Valverde but because he didn't want to drag Contador with him without the Spaniard doing any work he started fvcking about and in the end he was the one that lost out as the others came back and then eventually dropped him.

Froome made a big mistake playing chicken with Contador. The Spaniards were playing the Spanish card, in "anyone bar Froome", & he'd better realise they'll work him over & change his tactics for the final week. He needs favours from any English speaking riders he can get. Just ask Robert Millar about them.

If he'd just kept the pressure on constant, they'd never have come back & chances are Contador would have beaten him for the stage, on the line, at worst.

Exactly, he would have finished the day as the race leader and all Contador would have gotten was at best a few seconds from him but instead he decided to mess about and in the end the other three of the top four took time from him as a result, absolutely stupid tactics.

Froome should have just kept riding hard after his attack took him away, he was going to be taking time out of Rodriguez and Valverde but because he didn't want to drag Contador with him without the Spaniard doing any work he started fvcking about and in the end he was the one that lost out as the others came back and then eventually dropped him.

Exactly. Sky's DS should be tearing a strip off him. He could have dealt a fatal blow to two contenders there & then & left him with a shoot out for the Vuelta wi Contador. As I think both will put time into the other two in Wednesdays ITT.

Exactly. Sky's DS should be tearing a strip off him. He could have dealt a fatal blow to two contenders there & then & left him with a shoot out for the Vuelta wi Contador. As I think both will put time into the other two in Wednesdays ITT.

sky were pretty stupid all round today.

why gun it chasing down the break (the stage finished at 5 to 4) when you can let them win and take the time bonuses out of the equation? he lost last year because of bonus secs.

on the final climb froome was unbelievably naive, that stupid standing sprint thing he did was beyond belief.

I never thought I would hear myself say this but if Purito can repeat the sort of time trials that he did in the Giro then he will win this race.

Time bonifications are going to be huge and there isn't anyone I would rather be with in the uphill finishes.

John Degenkolb takes his fourth stage, pretty much no one else there to challenge him.

As for Sky's Ben Swift? Well sorry son, nowhere near good enough.

Sky would be better just keeping Froome out of trouble, rather than bust a gut to set him up. Not even at the races, come a sprint finish.

As expected, I think the exertions of the last couple of months starting to catch up on Froome.

Gave up 22 secs to Contador, whilst only taking 36 off of J-Rod & 29 from Valverde.

Not enough, to beat the Spanish, in my book.

1 Joaquim Rodríguez (ESP) Katyusha 40:26:15

2 Alberto Contador (ESP) Saxo Bank +1

3 Chris Froome (ENG) Team Sky +16

4 Alejandro Valverde (ESP) Movistar +59

5 Robert Gesink (NED) Rabobank +2:27

6 Daniel Moreno (ESP) Katyusha +2:54

7 Nicolas Roche (IRL) AG2R +3:39

8 Andrew Talansky (USA) Garmin +4:08

9 Laurens ten Dam (NED) Rabobank +4:22

10 Bauke Mollema (NED) Rabobank +5:10

Edit to add:- Nice to see Eurosport have Froome down as being English. <_<

Edited by kiddy